advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Mom2mom poll: People touching your pregnant belly?

How did you feel when people touched your pregnant belly?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:53 am

A. It didn’t bother me
23%
B. I didn’t like it. It was an invasion of personal space!
52%
C. Nobody touched my pregnant belly
23%

Total votes : 21

Mom2mom poll: People touching your pregnant belly?

Postby mom2momkc on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:53 am

Did people touch your belly when you were pregnant? Was it OK with you? Did it bug the heck outta you? Or did nobody touch your pregnant stomach?
Share your experiences, read The Star's FYI section on Tuesday, Feb. 28, and check back often on mom2momkc.com to see how our mom2mom panel answered.
The question: How did you feel when people touched your pregnant belly?
A. It didn’t bother me
B. I didn’t like it. It was an invasion of personal space!
C. Nobody touched my pregnant belly
Kady McMaster
Editor, mom2momkc.com
mom2momkc

Re: Mom2mom poll: People touching your pregnant belly?

Postby sahmiam43 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:49 pm

With the first baby it was just bizarre. Why would someone want to touch my belly? I'm not touchy, not huggy, but all these women were coming at me, hands extended, for a quick feel? uhookay...

By the second kid- meh- it's gonna happen I didn't make a fuss- go on, have your fun.

The third? I expected it, it's part of the experience: hemroids, indigestion and strangers belly rubbing.

Flash forward 7 years: Last month I saw a friend of mine who is pregnant. Without even thinking, or asking, I touched her belly. Then I apologized. THEN I realized that I was doing it to try and remember what it felt like when the baby was in my own belly. A quick, hands on flashback. Maybe that's why women do it.

Men? I got nothing. It's just wrong.
DD- 16
DS-14
DS-7

But wait! There's more! For the low price of a clickity click click,click...
http://thehistorychicks.com/
http://sahmiam43.blogspot.com
sahmiam43

Postby ithaca2kc on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:07 pm

I've always had weight issues and I've always been self-conscious about my body. My stomach is a no-fly zone.
I was not comfortable with people touching my belly even when pregnant. Obviously that doesn't count my husband or other children!
ithaca2kc

Postby MollyMom on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:44 pm

I did not like people touching my pregnant belly -- especially when uninvited, and if they were a stranger...look out, buster! Total invasion of my personal space and privacy. A word of advice: If you are inclined to touch a woman's pregnant belly, always ask permission to do so. Period. Otherwise, in my opinion, you are crossing a line. And if you don't know her? Do. Not. Go. There. 'Nuf said.
MollyMom

Postby mamalackey on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:06 pm

I don't remember anyone ever touching my pregnant belly. I don't know what I would have done had someone done that. I do tend to agree with Mollymom in that it's crossing a line.
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
Edie
mamalackey

Postby raelynsmommy12 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:29 am

this is my 1st pregnancy and suprisingly i dont care if people touch my belly. and i find it kinda weird because my mom wldnt even touch her own belly when she was pregnant with my brother. and even with me she barley touch her belly and didnt like it at all...she wnt even touch my belly. the whole staranger thing is kinda weird but im also kinda used to it because i work at kmart so it doesnt bug me as much as i thought it might...and im a shy person and dont know how to talk to people
raelynsmommy12

Postby mygr8crew on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:16 am

I didn't much care for it, because I am not generally a touchy-feely type of person. But I never made a big deal out of it, because I am pretty non-confrontational. I never touch someone's pregnant belly uninvited.
Susan
Proud Mom to
Taylor, 18
Grace, 16
Gabe, 14
Simon, 12

"Whatever your fight, don't be ladylike!" Mother Jones

http://fiftytwoweeksofme.wordpress.com/
mygr8crew

Postby ayoungcale on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:20 am

No one touched my belly, but I would not like it if it happened. I don't go around grabbing people just because I want to see how they feel. Though, it would be kinda fun if I can do that! :D
ayoungcale

Postby moosebane on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:22 am

If they asked, I never had a problem with it. But just to come up and touch me--ewwww!
moosebane

Postby JayhawkKaty on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:15 pm

I did not like it at all, but if I remember, only one person, a family member of my husband's did it. She was his grandmother, and she just reached out and asked "How is our baby?" I couldn't tell her off, since she was my husband's grandmother and sweet as could be, but I was not happy with either the touching nor with the "our baby" comment.
Katy
DS - 11
DD - 6
JayhawkKaty

Next

Return to Mom2Mom Question of the Week