advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Filtered water bottles

Filtered water bottles

Postby mamalackey on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:03 am

We are traveling out of the country in a few months (a lovely perk of hubby's job) and I thought it might be good to have a water bottle that filtered the water. I know nothing about such things and wondered if some moms here might.

Do you have one or several of these bottles and what do you like about them?

I really don't wanna have to raid the mini bar of the water bottles this trip (they charged $16 per 16oz bottle from the minibar last trip!!!!!!) but I'm thinking I need to drink bottled water to stay hydrated, right?

Help!
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
Edie
mamalackey

Re: Filtered water bottles

Postby LNDofMOM on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:03 am

I don't know that a normal filter bottle like Brita is what you want. They don't do anything about bacteria just minerals. We always kept OoC water blues at bay with pepto chewables. Twice a day.
LNDofMOM

Postby siglercentral on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 am

you can drink almost anything to stay hydrated. some you have to drink more of than others, perhaps, but they all will do the job. personally, if i had to pay big bucks for something, i wouldn't be drinking water! ;)

and mom2H&G is right - filters just make it taste nicer. the water/wastewater treatment plants make water potable and safe to drink without getting sick. so if you're looking to drink water and the tap water is coming from a questionable source, it may be better to make a trip to the local market and buy cheaper bottled water.

another little lesson from my environmental engineering 101 class:
to ANYONE WHO USES FILTERS - change them according to manufacturer's recommendations because! no matter how treated your water is, it will still cause the particles in the filter to grow mold... enough said. btw, i found a way to bypass my refrigerater's filter so i don't even have to have one in there.
Adrienne S.
That electronic pressure cooker... so pretty, so nice, so easy, so yummy!
siglercentral

Postby LNDofMOM on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:22 pm

You know Sig, that is a really good point that I hadn't thought of. And know I am really glad I don't have any type of filter set up. Which all reminds me of the guy I read about this week that got a brain eating amoeba because he was using well water in his neti pot.
LNDofMOM

Postby mamalackey on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:02 pm

I found this water bottle that filters out all sorts of ickies. Just so you know that it is out there.

http://www.amazon.com/25oz-h2only-filte ... B00302300M

Shopping for cheaper water bottles is not always an option when we go to this particular meeting. Things are very scheduled and shopping is typically done at the high end boutique shops in whatever area we are in. Not my idea of fun--I'd rather do the junk shop tour. :)

Thanks for the info, though.
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
Edie
mamalackey

Postby siglercentral on Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:49 am

i am really skeptical of products that say 99.99%!!! however, i do think it's possible for this filter to capture a lot of the problems - enough to use it for tap water anywhere as it says and bypass the expensive bottled water.

that in mind, be sure to flush it BEFORE you use it because there could be bacteria build-up from the manufacturing process. this will also activate the carbon in the filter. it's also good to periodically flush any filter (like on some kid's humidifier filter) on any product because filters cannot sanitize themselves. to flush, mix 1/8 teaspoon of chlorine in one quart of water and filter it through the system. then then rinse and flush with filtered water.

you can use regular old household bleach, but i would probably rinse and flush with the filtered water a couple times!

enjoy your trip!
Adrienne S.
That electronic pressure cooker... so pretty, so nice, so easy, so yummy!
siglercentral

Return to Vacations and travel