advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

About family cell phones

About family cell phones

Postby dollarfifty on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:47 pm

Do you pay for 'smart phones' for your kids?
I was sooooo against it, but DH went and did it anyways. Now he is bitching about the bill.

DUH?

So now he wants to switch their phones to standard phones and my DD would rather die than lose her 'droid"

BUT he hasn't done anything about it' So I took it in my own hands and gave the kids 2 days to find a standard phone or I will find one for them. A used one off ebay. Only till they can pay for their own. Their both old enough to work and pay for the extra costs.
I'm so tired of this fight with DH, he just bitches but does nothing and if I try to change things he comes up with excuses why he hasn't.
I WILL follow thru with my 'threats' the kids will get the cheaper phones because I'm so tired of DH bitching about cell phone costs! And then NEVER doing anything about it!!!!

OK,,,,rant over!
I'm so far behind I think I'm first.
dollarfifty

Re: About family cell phones

Postby bvmom on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:20 pm

My daughter has a smart phone; however, she pays for part of it. She uses it for her music too so she actually has a pretty old iPOD--of course she is now lobbying for an iPAD!

I have a smart phone and I love it--it is nice to be able to spend time catching up on emails during long practices.

My hubby hates my smart phone as I tend to ignore him when he is driving.
bvmom

Postby dollarfifty on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:58 pm

DH and I are old married couples, (nearly 22 years) (in our early 50's) We still talk face to face every day, phones don't interfer with that.
Kids however,,,drive me nuts!
dollarfifty

Postby bvmom on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:04 pm

My hubby hates texting plus I can't imagine having a lengthy conversation with him via text. When I ignore him he is driving and I am in the passenger seat messing with my phone.

I have kept my resolution of no usage of my phone in any capacity while I am driving--my teen is learning to drive and she isn't allowed to talk on her phone so I thought it was hypocritical.
bvmom

Postby dollarfifty on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:18 pm

I never ever text while driving. Rarely talk on cell while driving. In fact I even wonder why I have a cell, I never get calls. Only thing I use it for is to tell DD "I'm here" but now she drives herself. (OK I do tell her it's time to come home) (KIDS)
I could probally live without a cell. Maybe thats a new cell phone plan,,,live without!
dollarfifty

Postby silentk on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 pm

My 11 year old has a cell phone out of necessity... but it is NOT a smart phone. It's nice, but not THAT nice. Heck, *I* don't even have a smartphone! Well, yet. My Droid X comes in the mail tomorrow or Friday, LOL. However, that's only because my FIL is giving it to me.

My niece, on the other hand, just got a Droid Incredible for her 11th birthday, which seems a little..... much for me. *shrugs* But I won't be surprised if, in a year or two, ALL cell phones are "smart" and I have to give in.
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.
silentk

Postby bvmom on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:10 am

I do have to say mine has been handy for the GPS feature--I will have the passenger use it to navigate for me. I always look at a map (on line) before the trip so I have a general idea and the passenger can give me the details.
bvmom

Postby sashamae on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:16 am

My kids are to young to have cell phones and when the do get old enough I don't know that they will get one of the most fancy ones out there. I am not even sure if they really need one until they can pay for it or at least part of it by themselves. (So I really can't offer much as for an opinion!)

But I did want to support you! Since your DH only wants to complain about it and not really take care of it, stick to your guns!!!
sashamae

Postby mombear23 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:01 am

Our children got cellphones for MY convenience. When the older two were in high school sports, they could call when they were close to the school so I didn't have to guess and wait for hours--or have them stranded alone at the school. As they have gotten older (22 and 20), they are a good way to keep in touch. We text more than talk on the phone (moving toward Skype!). That way we have the exchange of information, but if they are in class, they wait 'til it's over. The 22 year old just got a droid, because his phone was irratic (?) and needed to be replaced. I look at it being the last one I'm buying for him since he's graduating in May.

For the 15 year old, it is convenience, too. My husband had the picture sending feature disabled so there isn't the threat of sexting and the legal ramifications. Also, he got the cheapest upgrade I could get when it was time. He jumped into a pool with his old one and had to use a TrakPhone (oooo, yuck from his perspective) until I could see free to upgrade him (about 4 months).
mombear23

Postby honeypie on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:28 am

Both our kids have smart phones and they pay for their own data plan. We support the family plan portion. It is so nice to have them call or text to let us know what is going on. Both of them use the phone an unbelievable amount, DS for job and DD for school and social use.
My complaint is the spotty coverage in our area. ATT needs to cover the state line area south of KC.
Cupcakes, my favorite food group
honeypie

Next

Return to Family