advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Journalism jobs?

Journalism jobs?

Postby vengholm on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:26 pm

I know there are some journalists on here, so I thought I'd poke around. My husband is desperate for a job. He's been looking for some time, and applying everywhere. He has a BA in Liberal Arts and a BA in Communications/Journalism, both from UMKC. He freelances at the Pitch, interned at Independence Examiner, and has had articles published on http://www.wow.com. He also has experience in audio engineering and used to own his own recording studio, and has experience with radio.

He has had job offers from newspapers from out of town, but we can't leave Kansas City because of my son. If anyone hears of anything, he would be very grateful! We're both just part time right now, and we cut it close on our bills every month. A full time job needs to happen, and SOON!

(If it helps, he's a Hawkeye! lol!!)
"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours." - Swedish Proverb
vengholm

Re: Journalism jobs?

Postby Horton on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Oh, man, I'm not a journalist, but it sure seems like a tough field to be trying to find a job in right now. I hope he finds something soon, and if by some miracle I hear of something, I'll let you know! Good luck!
Horton

Postby katebeem on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:32 pm

With his tech skills, I would suggest trying TV stations. Lots have extensive web sites. I know several laid-off former Star employees have landed at different local stations doing web stuff.

Don't bother with The Star, though. I hear through the grapevine that more layoffs are coming. It is a terrible industry right now, and frankly, I wouldn't advise anyone to go into it. This is a good time to switch careers, IMO. That's what I'm doing.
katebeem
Site Admin

Postby mediamom on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:12 am

Kate is right- don't bother with The Star. Nothing there. Besides TV stations, he should try production companies (his audio experience) and also ad and PR agencies (his web talents)- larger corporations like Black & Veatch also might be a place to look for web design opportunities- good luck!!!!!
mediamom

Return to Finances and money