advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Anyone ever used Tagamet or Cimetidine for Warts?

Anyone ever used Tagamet or Cimetidine for Warts?

Postby Neba on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:38 pm

I was just looking for some feedback from someone who has first hand knowledge of this treatment. This is what the dermatologist suggested for DS's warts that are all over his fingers. I thought surely they would freeze them, but the dermatologist was reluctant since a few of them are bigger and he is still in grade school (in other words...it's mighty painful & he's a picking sort of kid). Anyway, he had suggested Tagamet (a/k/a Cimetidine) as a therapy which would supposedly kick start DS's own immune system into fighting the virus that caused the warts to begin with. Apparently it's given 3 times a day which is more than the usual dose for an adult who is treating an ulcer, and it can take anywhere from 8-12 weeks. Supposedly there are no known side effects, but...it just worries me. Anyone? Bueller?? Bueller?

We've exhausted all the other OTC remedies, duct tape, fingernail polish, etc... So, aside from light-sabering off the little weasels, we're at our wits end here. No girl in their right mind would want to hold hands with him, and as much as I don't think that's a bad idea...DS might disagree with that at some point.
"(Reverend Finley): Sometimes we must come full circle to find the truth. Why does that surprise you? (Scully): Mostly, it just makes me afraid. (Reverend Finley): Afraid? (Scully): Afraid that God is speaking... but that no one's listening." The X-Files
Neba

Re: Anyone ever used Tagamet or Cimetidine for Warts?

Postby mcq75 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:20 pm

I use it in my practice, it does work, (not all the time) but I have never seen any problems with taking the cimetidine in kids.
mcq75

Postby cnnplus5 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:25 pm

my middle son had warts all over his leg (knee are) and he had several on his hands and arms...we went the route of freezing them off - it's a little painful but they came right back within a couple of months. My mom told me to give him zinc twice a day..I did and they are all gone. This was last year. Can't hurt to try.
Love the Birch tree - a favorite of mine in New England fall scenery
http://www.thebestclean.vpweb.com
cnnplus5

Postby smancinelli on Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:17 pm

My daughter got 3 warts on her hand this year. We tried everything, but they spread from one to three and just got bigger!

The absolute cure was this: soak a piece of cotton ball in apple cider vinegar until dripping and cover the wart with the wet cotton ball. Tape it on with a bandage, duct tape, or anything that will keep it on overnight. Remove the next morning. Go about each day without anything applied. Repeat each night. The wart will just fall or scrape off and there will be a divet hole left that is perfect, new skin and fills in quickly.

My daughter's smallest wart was gone in 4 days, the medium-sized wart during week 2 and the huge wart during week 3. They have never come back!
smancinelli

Postby mombear23 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:07 am

My DD's cure is massive doses (1,500 mgs/2-3 times a day) of Lysine. She was taking it for a cold sore on her lips (Lysine promotes healthy skin), then noticed it made a wart she had on her hand go away.
mombear23

Postby PartyofSeven on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:03 am

Ooh! I had never heard of this. I think I'll call our derm right now. DD18 has had 2 warts on her fingers and 2 right next to each other on her leg that have been frozen off too many times to count. I think she's had them for about 4 years now. Derm every 6-8 weeks...well, you can do the math.

This last time the doc said she was through freezing them and to try "irritation therapy". Basically, the dr. will scratch your skin somewhere else until it's open and then apply an irritant which the body then fights off. Then they apply it to the warts and the body attacks the irritant and kills the warts in the process. Tagamet sounds easier.
PartyofSeven

Postby maggieS on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:58 am

Just an FYI for everyone, there is an OTC product that freezes warts off. It's about 12 or 13 dollars for 12 applications.
"If You, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be found. . ."
http://www.gotquestions.org
maggieS

Location: trying to find this table you are all talking about. . .

Postby Neba on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:17 am

PartyofSeven, they also offered him this "bug juice" that you paint on the wart and blisters up, erupts, and takes out part if not all of the wart in the process (we tried this yesterday on one of his dozen warts, the full process takes about a week). Apparently the stuff is made with a substance from the blister beetle. It blistered up huge yesterday, and now he just has to keep his hands off of it until it dies and the derm. clips off the dead part. It's still painful, but not as much as the freezing deal.

I think we're going to go ahead and give the Tagamet a shot, though since he has so many of them. I really appreciate all the input from everyone!
"(Reverend Finley): Sometimes we must come full circle to find the truth. Why does that surprise you? (Scully): Mostly, it just makes me afraid. (Reverend Finley): Afraid? (Scully): Afraid that God is speaking... but that no one's listening." The X-Files
Neba

Postby PartyofSeven on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:21 am

We've tried the beetle juice stuff, too. Not effective for us at all. Her warts come back bigger than before after anything we try.

MaggieS--our derm laughs at that OTC stuff. We tried it when the warts first showed up. Barely froze the top layer. There's a reason the nitro freezing at the doctor is billed as surgery with insurance. :)
PartyofSeven

Postby maggieS on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:33 am

It works for us, so I don't mind he laughs. :-) I smile when I think of all the money I've saved using it.
"If You, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be found. . ."
http://www.gotquestions.org
maggieS

Location: trying to find this table you are all talking about. . .

Next

Return to My child's health