advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Son's girlfriend Christmas present

Son's girlfriend Christmas present

Postby mombear23 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:53 pm

I need help!

My son has a girlfriend I need to buy a Christmas present for. Have NO idea what to get. Any ideas?

The situation: They are both in college (out of town) so I don't know her REALLY well, early 20's, and she has already bought something for us. Don't know how serious it is (does any Mom?). What is the right stroke of appropriateness? A fashionable scarf? A nice piece of jewelry? A gift card and something else?

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
mombear23

Re: Son's girlfriend Christmas present

Postby cnnplus5 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:00 pm

I would go with a gift card.
Love the Birch tree - a favorite of mine in New England fall scenery
http://www.thebestclean.vpweb.com
cnnplus5

Postby pmonkeefan on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:00 pm

I'd go with either a gift card to a local (to her college) grocery store or department store (we LOVED Target in college.) Or, a basket (but you guys know I'm a basket freak) where you can put in small things that might not cost a bunch like warm socks, some candy and snacks, and other random things a college student can use. Another option might be one of those fleece throw blankets, you can even make a "tie" blanket yourself in the school colors really cheaply!
[/url]
pmonkeefan

Postby momonnet on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:30 pm

gift card
the yummy place at the mall with all the lotions and stuff....the name ... I am blank...bath n body works?????
momonnet

Postby 1humblehusker on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:39 pm

As mom of a college jr. daughter, the basket idea is great-socks, micro popcorn, microwaveable desserts, hot chocolate, a bottle of soda, candies, gum, 'cup of soup' etc., or simple like a visa gift card. College students always need money for something. Those gifts are less 'personal' since the uncertainty of the relationship is a question.
1humblehusker

Postby kcbuckeye on Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:02 pm

While a lot of kids in college would probably prefer a gift card, it always feels a bit impersonal to me. I like the idea of a basket of consumables, maybe something more premium/exotic then she would buy for herself - gourmet popcorn, dark chocolate, pistachios - if she's in an apartment you treat her with more things she can use to cook vs. just snack.
Becky
** Mommy to Hunter, 8/10/2006
kcbuckeye

Postby fibromom on Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:11 pm

I thought a gift card at first, but that is kind of impersonal. I like the idea of the basket with the goodies.
You will have to let us know what you decided.
fibromom

Postby mombear23 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks for all your sugggestions.

I forgot to add before--she's from KC. They go to college out of town and then it turns out they come from the same area. I am really nervous about this because I really want to make a good impression for my husband and myself, but also I want DS and the girlfriend to be happy. That sounds so impersonal--don't mean that--just came out that way.

Anyway thanks again.
mombear23

Postby M&M at home on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:21 pm

Go with a gift card to a pedicure spot in her college town. Pair it up with a cute beach towel, a re-usable water bottle and some silly flip flops. Seems out of season but she'll love it come spring break.

Or get movie gift cards and a restaurant gift card for them to have a date night.
M&M at home

Postby eparn on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:05 pm

How are you at reading her fashion? I really liked your scarf idea, but you'd have to nail her taste, it could be hard. That's something that can last for years - or be satisfyingly burned if she and your son break up.

I'm sure she wouldn't do that.
eparn

Next

Return to Holiday shopping