advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Can't we all just get along?

Can't we all just get along?

Postby mom2momkc on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:54 am

Nah...just kidding. I know that's asking too much!
BUT.
Here's the deal: this site is a place to discuss, share, support, help, enlighten, laugh, cry, and yes, at times disagree.
And I know that we will disagree. That's the human condition. Since we started this site, we've taken a pretty light touch when it comes to moderating/censoring. That's what you, the moms, have told us you wanted. And this is your site.
Still, I've been really bothered the past 24 hours over some less-than-civil discourse between several of the members.
Know this: You can disagree until the cows come home, but personal attacks will not be tolerated on mom2mom. Please please refrain from going after each other in that manner. (Besides, you're all smarter than that!)
Thank you.
Back to your regular programing.
Mgmt.
p.s. Sometimes I wish you all could meet each other IRL. You're all a bunch of really cool, nice, sweet people. I think so much can be lost in translation in writing, and people who may seem mean or snarky or witchy on the site are not in person. Really!
Kady McMaster
Editor, mom2momkc.com
mom2momkc

Re: Can't we all just get along?

Postby Sugar Mama on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:04 am

kckady wrote:Here's the deal: this site is a place to discuss, share, support, help, enlighten, laugh, cry, and yes, at times disagree.
And I know that we will disagree. That's the human condition.

THIS is what we do most of the time though, why is it tolerated that some are allowed to post on the site for the SOLE purpose of stirring the pot? That seems so juvenile and it is of course upsetting because it comes out of nowhere, spammers get their own button to be banished.

I understand the context in terms of moderating the site, but surely you can see that if attacked most moms will stand up for themselves and others.
Melissa
Sugar Mama

Postby cnnplus5 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:22 am

I'm sorry Kady, but are you serious????? where were you when other moms on this site have been personally attacked over and over? or maybe this is one of those rules that is only applied for certain people? just wondering....

Tasha knew what she was doing....if you can't take it don't dish it out. These things always have a way of working themselves out and I actually think we do a fairly good job of moderating ourselves.... but in the meantime it's very entertaining on an otherwise very boring m2m these days!
Love the Birch tree - a favorite of mine in New England fall scenery
http://www.thebestclean.vpweb.com
cnnplus5

Postby LindseyLou on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:25 am

I find it interesting that other moms on this site can be personally attacked, and borderline internet-harrassed, but now that an employee is taking the brunt end, we get the "personal attacks won't be tolerated" spiel.

Just sayin'.
Mom to Samuel and Sloane
LindseyLou

Postby Dawn on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:34 am

Great thing about the internet...we can also take a break from it.

I personally have been on many forums before and have seen the same thing...ugliness. It was a miscarriage site, and it ended up getting taken down because of this kind of stuff (and also the women were contacting the author of the site who couldn't control everyone).

I do see that it's good to have strong opinions and free speech and all. So many times I've thought though that people are strange on an internet forum. How can people attack each other out in the open on something just ANYONE can read. Of course, I've only learned some decorum after being on several communities and doing it wrong myself. I decided the fighting is not worth it. I guess I believe pm's were created for a reason.
Dawn

Postby ProxyMom on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:37 am

Seriously? That was one of the lightest battle I've seen on here -- and that is what sets you off?

Okay, no, I think I understand. I guess I have a couple of site questions for you.
1) What constitutes a personal attack? And
2) What happens when we hit the report button?

I only ask because, well, I think I'm fairly easy going. But, in the past, I've reported far, far worse and never heard a word back.
DSD 11 / DD 5 / DS 3

"The problem with you is you're completely delusional" Phineas Flynn
ProxyMom

Location: Sitting at my homemade tinfoil table, wondering why the "popular girls" keep staring at me

Postby moosebane on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:37 am

I'm going to assume this was directed at me, because of the comment I made to Tasha--a comment for which I apologized.

If people aren't mature enough to discuss things rationally and reasonably, and they feel like they have to seek affirmation of their position by posting solicitations of "take my side, please," then that's not my problem. And if an apology isn't enough, which it apparently isn't, then I'm not sure what is being expected of us here.

Tasha, again, I apologize for speaking out of turn. As I stated earlier, it wasn't my place to predict anything involving Bo or you, since I don't know either of you. You did accept my apology earlier, and I appreciate that.

I would really like to see this go away. It's not worth all this.
moosebane

Postby Sugar Mama on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:41 am

I just feel like I am in some alternate universe here.

Deb Blogs about protecting her gorgeous daughter against mainstream medias debauchery and the first reply states that it is OK for 3 year olds to watch PG-13 movies? That isn't going to STIR THE POT?? Or in the least bit bring your parenting into question? It's always the SAME THING, different verbage. If this just gets swept under the rug its bound to pop up again when another flip comment is made and we actually STAND UP FOR WHAT WE BELIEVE TO BE RIGHT.
Melissa
Sugar Mama

Postby Phouka on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:55 am

I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I have to agree that there have been much more viscious attacks where nothing was done (anyone remember Geekswife/Daphne leaving in tears? I sure do.). It bothers me that some women are more equal than others on M2M, particularly if those women are employed by the Star. It's not a good way to keep readers . . . or to get me to keep my subscription, which I assume pays for your salaries, as well as for the server space M2M uses.
Phouka

Postby ProxyMom on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:59 am

moosebane wrote:I'm going to assume this was directed at me, because of the comment I made to Tasha--a comment for which I apologized.

If people aren't mature enough to discuss things rationally and reasonably, and they feel like they have to seek affirmation of their position by posting solicitations of "take my side, please," then that's not my problem. And if an apology isn't enough, which it apparently isn't, then I'm not sure what is being expected of us here.

Tasha, again, I apologize for speaking out of turn. As I stated earlier, it wasn't my place to predict anything involving Bo or you, since I don't know either of you. You did accept my apology earlier, and I appreciate that.

I would really like to see this go away. It's not worth all this.

Okay, I'm retracting my earlier post. I'm now working under the assumption that Kady is directing this at Tasha, who set MB up for a public flogging. Sorry for the confusion.
DSD 11 / DD 5 / DS 3

"The problem with you is you're completely delusional" Phineas Flynn
ProxyMom

Location: Sitting at my homemade tinfoil table, wondering why the "popular girls" keep staring at me

Next

Return to Questions about the site