advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Acid Reflux in a 5 year old?

Acid Reflux in a 5 year old?

Postby Mom2girls on Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:00 pm

A friend of mine has a daughter with acid reflux. She is very thin and often refuses to eat. The doctor prescribed some medicine for it but it isn't working.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I've only heard about it in infants
Ann
Mom to Bryn (9/03) and Bree (11/05)
Any mother could perform the jobs of several air traffic controllers with ease. ~Lisa Alther
Mom2girls

Re: Acid Reflux in a 5 year old?

Postby Stingyhag on Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:33 pm

One of my sons has been diagnosed the same. I once got a call from the school to come get him, the nurses were afraid he was having a heart attack. They literally had him at the curb in a wheelchair when I got there.

When discussing his symtoms w/ the doctor, we made a connection, he said he felt sick, and had done this before after eating at Cici's. The night before he had also eaten at Cici's. My husband has bad reflux, and my father did as well. Pepperoni pizza seemed to be a major trigger.

Zantac helped alot. We of course avoid pepperoni now. We limit certain foods that are often triggers, and he's not had an episode in the year since this. From what I have read, there is a genetic thing to this. My poor son is getting it from both sides.
Insane mom of 9
Grandma to 2
Stingyhag

Postby adlibby on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:09 pm

My daughter used to complain that her stomach hurt all the time. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it -- it was very frustrating. Then she started throwing up if she had more than a cup of milk in the morning. The pediatrician had her tested for celiac disease - nope. Tummy x-rays showed nothing. Blood tests normal. So we switched her to Lactaid instead of milk. That helped somewhat. But it wasn't until we started her on a child's dose of Prevacid that the tummy aches seemed to go away. Coincidentally she is very thin -- but eats a pretty good varied diet. Her dad and I both take Rx's for reflux. She was about 5 when we sorted all this out.
if you liked that, go read my blog ;)
adlibby

Postby risarenee on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:31 am

My dd took it for a while too, however she only needed it for a little while. She hasn't taken it for several years, it just went away. But, hers surfaced as these little "curds" that would come up her throat. Little white things and she would complain that her tummy hurt all the time. And I mean all the time.
risarenee

Location: under the crinkled table eating a stick of butter hoping the girls at the other table can't see me

Postby momonnet on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:32 am

I know a 4 year old that has it. They have tried meds and its not working either. She throws up in her mouth daily. They are looking for help also.
momonnet

Postby PartyofSeven on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:36 am

I've had 2 kids with GERD. One was never treated (talk about a nightmare) and one started taking Nexium when he was 3 weeks old. Fortunately, we don't have to do that anymore, but he was on a DOUBLE dose because a single dose for his age/weight didn't do anything. Have them check with their doctor and if he/she won't give them anything, tell them to see another doctor. GERD is a fairly "new" problem for kids (it hasn't been officially diagnosed for very long) and many doctors don't even consider it as a possibility.
PartyofSeven

Postby meandthejs on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:02 am

I have a friend whose child is about five. She was haing acid reflux symptoms. After trying several things, she was diagnosed at Mayo Clinic. Turns out her digestive track, think intestines, was digesting too slowly, basicly causing a back-up. She is trying some meds to speed things up and hopefully get relief from the reflux.
meandthejs

Return to My child's health