advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Who Refrigerates The Amoxicillin?

Who Refrigerates The Amoxicillin?

Postby Horton on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:29 pm

So today I was at the pharmacist, head hanging low b/c I accidentally left DS's Amoxicillin out overnight and was going to beg them to replace the doses that were still left in the bottle... and they told me... you don't need to refrigerate Amoxicillin. When I pointed out that it says right on the bottle to refrigerate it, she said that's just to make it taste better.

So I've done a little online research and darn if I don't see alot of stuff to back that up, including this, which I got off of drugs.com:

"Store amoxicillin at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light. You may store liquid amoxicillin in a refrigerator but do not allow it to freeze. Throw away any liquid amoxicillin that is not used within 14 days after it was mixed at the pharmacy."

So how is it in 16 years of mothering I've never heard of this before? Do I live under a rock or what? Has anyone else ever been told Amoxicillin doesn't need to be refrigerated? I'm still nervous about giving it to him.
Horton

Re: Who Refrigerates The Amoxicillin?

Postby Stingyhag on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:34 pm

I've heard it too. But only after I did what you did, accidentally left it out overnight. Ran with the bottle the next day to the pharmacy, and was told the same thing.

I still keep it in the fridge. I figure it probably does keep it fresher, but I don't freak if I leave it out now.
Insane mom of 9
Grandma to 2
Stingyhag

Postby Horton on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:36 pm

Well, that makes me feel better, stingyhag. Now I just feel like a real dolt for all the freaking out I did over the years about keeping that stuff cold, like it was a transplant organ or something.
Horton

Postby Neba on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:36 pm

That's wacky. I've always been told to refrigerate the kids' amox. as well, and at least once by a pharmacist! I can't take the stuff; so, can't vouch for whether the cold helps the taste. It's a mold derivative; so, I'm guessing the moisture can make it "turn bad." I'm no scientist, but I would have had the same reaction you did.
"(Reverend Finley): Sometimes we must come full circle to find the truth. Why does that surprise you? (Scully): Mostly, it just makes me afraid. (Reverend Finley): Afraid? (Scully): Afraid that God is speaking... but that no one's listening." The X-Files
Neba

Postby sahmiam43 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:39 pm

You taught me something new.. I didn't know that. It says "refrigerate", I refrigerate. If it said " take with a pint of mint chip" I would make that sacrifice as well.

I feel like a dolt for packing it up in ice when we went anywhere. Since the oldest one was a tot! I wonder what else I am doing that is unnecessary?
DD- 16
DS-14
DS-7

But wait! There's more! For the low price of a clickity click click,click...
http://thehistorychicks.com/
http://sahmiam43.blogspot.com
sahmiam43

Postby Neba on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:42 pm

sahmiam43 wrote:I wonder what else I am doing that is unnecessary?

That is a fabulous question...sounds like a whole 'nother topic.
"(Reverend Finley): Sometimes we must come full circle to find the truth. Why does that surprise you? (Scully): Mostly, it just makes me afraid. (Reverend Finley): Afraid? (Scully): Afraid that God is speaking... but that no one's listening." The X-Files
Neba

Postby hotmomma on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:51 pm

Learn somethin' new every day!
No one can make something untrue simply by choosing not to believe it. ~ Dr. David Jeremiah

Telling a woman what to do in her own home is like trying to baptize a cat. ~ Phil McGraw

A gun carrying Christian is a Christian criminals should fear. ~ Amy Pinson, NRA member
hotmomma

Postby maggieS on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:03 pm

I wonder what else they're not telling us? I had never heard that, Jen.

My mom used to let left over pizza sit out all night; and we'd eat it the next day.

Of course, she was from the same culture that mixes raw hamburger with saltine crackers for a yummy meat spread, too.

Did you start that thread about Susan, Neba? "Cause I want in on that. . .
"If You, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be found. . ."
http://www.gotquestions.org
maggieS

Location: trying to find this table you are all talking about. . .

Postby mama-missy on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:49 pm

I did know this but only because the pharmacist told me the first time I ever had to get it. Lucky me.
mama-missy

Postby sahmiam43 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:53 pm

ha. ha.
Neba wrote:That is a fabulous question...sounds like a whole 'nother topic

maggieS wrote:Did you start that thread about Susan, Neba? "Cause I want in on that. . .

hardy . har. har.

excuse me, I have to go retch just thinking about raw meat on crackers.. blech....
DD- 16
DS-14
DS-7

But wait! There's more! For the low price of a clickity click click,click...
http://thehistorychicks.com/
http://sahmiam43.blogspot.com
sahmiam43

Next

Return to My child's health