advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Renting a rug doctor?

Renting a rug doctor?

Postby mommyluv on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:08 am

I have been in my home for about two years now. Three kids and two dogs are starting to show its wear. There is no way that new carpet can fit into the budget. And at this point I do not think that buying a carpet machine is worth the cost. Has anyone ever used a rug doctor and do you think it was worth the cost? It is not a big space but I really don't like the way the carpet looks. We have a no food or drink rule in the front room with the kids and there has only been one animal accident. It is one of those builder light carpets. I cannot stand how light it is but I really need to clean it. Any ideas other then the rug doctor?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
mommyluv

Re: Renting a rug doctor?

Postby tfjonas on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:12 am

We rent Rug Doctors from Price Chopper all the time. It gets the carpet pretty clean. I suggest it!
Tasha Fabela-Jonas
tfjonas

Postby gematree on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:12 am

Have it cleaned by Sears or Steamwhatever, find out if they can "dye" the carpet darker. You asked for other ideas and that's mine.
"I guess that's why we each need to make our own decisions based on the wisdom we have and the risks we want to take." Cnnplus5 9/01/09
gematree

Postby honeypie on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:14 am

You might get an estimate from one of those "steam cleaning" companies. It might cost less than renting for a small space. Just be sure it's a firm bid and don't opt for anything more.
Cupcakes, my favorite food group
honeypie

Postby GabiesNana on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:37 am

I have rented Rug Doctors in the past, and did last summer also. They are getting hard to find, they used to be everywhere, even Walmart, but about the only place I found one last year was at Price Chopper. It is a quick fix for small places, but the easiest is to call one of the "steam" people. The major one in our area advertises like $99 for 3 rooms. I like that better than having to go rent it, move my own stuff and drag it back. But I like the simple things! :D
DD 26
DD 22
DD 21
DS 15
And Nana to 5 of the most beautiful babies you have ever seen!
GabiesNana

Postby mommyluv on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:39 am

I ever knew you could dye a carpet!! I will have to check into that. I think I am also going to price around for some ideas. I have used a carpet machine in the past in our old house. But I have never rented one and at this point, I am looking to keep the cost down. New carpet is completely out of the picture, until I finish school. Thanks for the ideas and the opinions!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
mommyluv

Postby PartyofSeven on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:29 pm

I'd rethink the whole "not buying" a carpet cleaner idea. We bought one many, many years ago for $100. We use it several times a year and have even cleaned other family members' carpet. We've definitely gotten our money's worth out of it. I remember renting one one time before we bought it and we ended up spending OVER $100.
PartyofSeven

Postby hotmomma on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:15 pm

If it's just your front room that's bothering you, a LOT of those steamcleaner companies will do one room free. We get that a lot.
No one can make something untrue simply by choosing not to believe it. ~ Dr. David Jeremiah

Telling a woman what to do in her own home is like trying to baptize a cat. ~ Phil McGraw

A gun carrying Christian is a Christian criminals should fear. ~ Amy Pinson, NRA member
hotmomma

Postby mommyluv on Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks so much for all the input. The way things are looking I am going to rent one. I went to walmart this morning to price some machines and as much as I could probably use one, it is just not in the budget. I am hoping that maybe we can when taxes come around. I had one years ago and they do come in handy with kids and animals. I got my moneys worth, I ran it into the ground. Since we moved it has been on the list but it is gaining dust with everything else we are dealing with. Let's see how things go next week!
mommyluv

Postby hankyspankymom on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:02 pm

We had that light carpet that showed everything and you will not beleive what I did. I put 1/2 warm water and 1/2 ammonia into our carpet shampooer and it got my carpets so white. Problem was that they kept getting dirty and I had to clean them about once a month. I hated dealing with that dirty water in that machine and I always feared that I was destroying the carpets with that ammonia. It did work though!
hankyspankymom

Next

Return to Home and garden