advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

18 children killed in school shooting- are you worried?

Are you worried about security at your childrens' school?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:51 pm

A. Yes
37%
B. No
62%

Total votes : 8

18 children killed in school shooting- are you worried?

Postby mom2momkc on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:05 pm

Oh my. Reports say 27 people are dead, 18 of them children, in a school shooting. Much of the shooting took place in a kindergarten room: http://bit.ly/Us302O

Do you worry about security at your kids' school? Take our poll & see what other moms say.
Kady McMaster
Editor, mom2momkc.com
mom2momkc

Re: 18 children killed in school shooting- are you worried?

Postby JoLynne on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:21 pm

Such horrible news from Connecticut today. My heart cries for the children, school staff and families who are suffering. But why would that make me worry about security at my daughter's school? Although such tragedies are shocking, they are rare. Statistics show that children are actually safer at schools than they are at home or elsewhere in their communities. Unfortunately, the media and policymakers often act in a reactionary fashion to events like this and frighten people unnecessarily.
Free-lance Writer & Blogger
KC Education Enterprise
http://kceducationenterprise.org/
Education Enterprise
http://open.salon.com/blog/jolynne
JoLynne

Postby vengholm on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Yes, I worry. I know it's irrational. I know the statistics. I still worry, though. I can't help it. I don't know what I would ever do without my kids.
"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours." - Swedish Proverb
vengholm

Postby battlefieldmomma on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:53 am

How can you not worry (even just a little bit)? Yesterday afternoon, I asked my kids if the schools had the kids practice a plan/drill. They said yes & told me what it was. We discussed the shooting as well.
battlefieldmomma

Postby mighty on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:20 pm

My worry is discussing this with my kids. My youngest is a special needs kid, so phrasing things the right way is really important. We kept the news off all night, and calmly answered his questions. We had to assure him (more than once) that he was safe, and that we would pray for all those involved in this tragedy.

We also agreed to write a card to send to the school. "Better to lite a candle than to curse the dark."
mighty

Return to Current events