advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

To my Makeup Guru Girls. Help!

Re: To my Makeup Guru Girls. Help!

Postby momzatKU on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:11 pm

I love Revlon Custom Creations since I have trouble matching my skintone. It enables you to adjust how dark or light.
I was a make up artist in Dallas int he 80's-woo hoo!! Lots of make up back then!
Avon is fabulous if you can meet with a rep and let them help you pick out what kind of foundation fits your lifestyle! Mineral powder is fast but hates wrinkles, cream or compact can go on too heavy, liquid can run off during the day. It helps to set it with a matching loose powder.
Its frustrating standing in CVS not knowing what works, if it will match, is it worth $12.99.
I would take up your Avon reps' offer in a second!
Blessings-Michelle
momzatKU

Postby christinaja on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:50 pm

As far as foundation goes, I usually try to go with something that is light and doesn't feel heavy. I LOVE Bare Minerals by BareEscentuals, but I don't have the $$ for that right now. So right now I use Cover Girl Dream Matte mousse foundation. It dries to a powder, so no need to use a pressed or loose powder on top of it. Closer to summer I will probably try out one of the other(re: less expensive) mineral foundations because I HATE cream or liquid foundation in the summer, and the powder kind will only clog my pores. I can get away with liquid or cream in cooler months.
For eyeshadow, I use a mixture. I pick out a few of my faves, and use them religiously. I used to use MAC, but have switched to HIP by L'Oreal. Very similar quality, and you can get a wide range of effects. It's very blendable, and even though the colors look really bright in the containers, once you put them on they are very light. However, if you want to go for runway-style drama, use a little water on your applicator or brush...it gives the loose pigment kind of a foil effect on your eyelids, which is great for a night out. I also like Clinique eyeshadows. I am not sure what your eye color is, but just remember to pick shades that will make the color pop.
My ABSOLUTE favorite product for cheeks and lips is BeneFit BeneTint. It's a rosy liquid stain that can be used on lips or cheeks, and it stays ALL DAY LONG. It is very dark in the bottle, but when you put it on, it's very very natural looking, and all you need to do is swipe on some clear gloss over it. They also have a new tint called Posie(I think) that is pink instead of rose. It's also great, and works the same way. You can pick it up at Sephora. I also love their powder in a box. My favorite is Dandelion. It gives a wonderful healthy glow to your skin. They have other shades that rock.
For lipstick, I have a LOT of faves. One of my very very favorites is Bobbi Brown Lipstick in Brown. It's not really brown, but more of a nice neutral pinky brown that is great on any skin tone. Some of my other faves are Avon lipstick in Twig, Mary Kay lipstick in Pink Shimmer, and if I am feeling like a little drama, I use HIP in either Chic(more neutral, but not as light as the others) or Brave( a bit of red!). The last three do tend to stay on longer. And feel free to experiment by blending shades. Sometimes it's the best way to get a color you love.

For eyeliners, Avon Glimmersticks is the way to go! I LOVE their eye pencils. Absolutely the best bang for your buck. They don't run, cake, or smear. And they are super easy to blend if you're trying out a new eye look. They are so much better than a lot of eye pencils out there, and cost so much less. Which reminds me...who on here sells Avon? I need more eyeliner!

I think that pretty much runs the gamut. :)

Oh yeah...one rule of thumb for lipstick...
If you want to find a good color for you, pick a lipstick that is just slightly darker than the color of your gums, or a shade or two darker or lighter than your natural lip color. If you go too much darker or lighter, it won't look good. I know it sounds wierd, but it works!
I love Daffodils!!!This was taken at the Overland Park Arboretum last year. I will spare you the details of the bizarre position I had to get into in order to get this photo.
christinaja

Postby mums on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:29 pm

It's time to splurge a little fun for yourself. Go to any or all makeup counters at different stores, and get a complete facial makeover. Write (or have them write) down the colors of stuff they are using. Only let them put on your face, eyes, lips, that which you might wear sometime. Do this several times, the salespeople understand you are learning (tell them) and that you're "shopping" for the right look.

The two most reliable places to get makeup are #1 Avon, and #2 Mary Kay. Why? 'Cause they've been doing it since your great grandmother got the right to vote (okay, that may be an exaggeration and no I'm not sure how old anybody is).

My makeup is: soap and water. Been there, done that, sick of the waste in money and time with makeup. And that's just for me and my freckled ol' face. (with big pores on my nose, too)
finished
mums

Previous

Return to Beauty and fashion