advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Can granite countertops make you sick?

Can granite countertops make you sick?

Postby katebeem on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:02 pm

That was the question posed last week on The Today Show. I just about choked on my coffee. Check out this link and see what you think: http://www.non-toxickids.net/2008/09/today-show-video-on-radiation-in.html
katebeem
Site Admin

Re: Can granite countertops make you sick?

Postby LNDofMOM on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Granite counter tops are not new, just becoming the trend. Sounds like the same argument when microwaves became popular.
Last month plastic this month granite....wonder what will make us sick next month?
LNDofMOM

Postby jeng on Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:27 pm

Well, if you live in the Midwest, I think it is somewhat pointless to worry about the minuscule amount of radon in a countertop when radon is everywhere in this part of the country.
jeng

Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
jeng

Postby ub_ on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:11 pm

About 6 years ago, I worked with a woman whose husband installed granite countertops for a living. Supposedy the studies, at least back then, showed there really wasn't any danger in them. But when it came time for his own family to get new countertops, he choose the expensive fake stuff.
ub_

Postby katebeem on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:32 pm

jeng wrote:Well, if you live in the Midwest, I think it is somewhat pointless to worry about the minuscule amount of radon in a countertop when radon is everywhere in this part of the country.

Radon's the worst in enclosed spaces. So it's seeping up from the earth, but outside, no big deal. In the basement, huge deal. If you're eating off it, I would think that's a big deal.

Just wondering if anyone's getting their granite tested. I'm thinking about it. Can't hurt, might be a good thing.
katebeem
Site Admin

Postby LNDofMOM on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:01 pm

katebeem wrote:Just wondering if anyone's getting their granite tested. I'm thinking about it. Can't hurt, might be a good thing.

and if it tests positive what do you do? Tear it all up and get all new countertops??? If ya do I will take em :D
LNDofMOM

Postby jeng on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:40 pm

if it tests positive what do you do? Tear it all up and get all new countertops??? If ya do I will take em

LOL! New countertops for free!
jeng

Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
jeng

Postby katebeem on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:49 pm

Well, yes, if it's positive I would get rid of my countertops. I have a 39-year-old acquaintance, mother of 3, who three weeks ago found out she has stage 3 lung cancer. Never smoked a day in her life. So I guess if there's a chance that my COUNTERTOPS could cause cancer, I would get rid of them. There is no safe level of radiation, and children are most vulnerable to it. If you knew you had something hazardous in your house, wouldn't you get rid of it?

I'm sure people scoffed years ago that asbestos caused cancer, too.

Here's a New York Times article on the subject: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html?em
Last edited by katebeem on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
katebeem
Site Admin

Postby epv5 on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:54 pm

I love the look of solid surface countertops and plan on getting some of my own, maybe won't do granite now, though. There are a lot of good alternatives, I've even seen really cool concrete ones. There's silestone, corian, marble...I read about the issues w/ granite awhile back and it wasn't all granite; but I'd definitly research carefully to make sure you're not getting or don't already have the bad stuff! Mom of 3 w/ lung cancer - that is just awful! I spend too much time thinking about what my kids lives would be like if they lost DH or I when they were still little and it's just heartbreaking; I hope your friend's cancer is able to be treated and that she returns to good health, Kate!
epv5

Postby blessedx3 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:32 am

After hearing about that news article a firend of mine talked to her son, who tests for these types of things. He said that the level of radon in a countertop would not be enough to harm anyone. He thought the whole thing was pretty frivilous. He has those countertops and he is not going to test them and he doesn't recommend for others to do so either. Oh, and he also mentioned something about the air flow in a kitchen is usually good enough that it wouldn't keep the radon in a "spot". Since I am NOT a microbiologist, I probably didn't relate any info here as well as he did, but the general idea was...don't test it...waste of money...
blessedx3

Return to Safety