advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Pink Slime

Pink Slime

Postby battlefieldmomma on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Pink Slime is a hot topic on another site that I visit. I had no idea that this stuff is being added to our ground beef supply.

KC Star - time for a local article? Which local grocery stores & schools add it to their ground beef?

"Americans are repulsed to learn that "pink slime," an unappetizing industrial slurry of cow connective tissue and low-grade beef scraps, is being added, surreptitiously, to supermarket ground beef as well as meat served in the National School Lunch Program. These ground-up tissues and scraps, formerly used for dog food, have been quietly included in our nation's ground beef supply since the 1990's thanks to a process invented by Beef Products Inc. (BPI). Since beef tissues used in pink slime are predisposed to E. coli and salmonella contamination, the filler is treated with ammonium hydroxide to kill the pathogens, before being mixed into ground beef as an additive."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/a ... out_p.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nancy-hue ... 36799.html
battlefieldmomma

Re: Pink Slime

Postby vengholm on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:41 pm

I've known about this for some time. It's one of the main reasons why I don't eat red meat, aside from the fact that it gives me digestive issues.

So gross :(
"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours." - Swedish Proverb
vengholm

Postby JoLynne on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:48 pm

Disgusting stuff, isn't it? Makes me especially grateful for the freezer full of venison that was a gift from my father in law last fall. And one of the reasons why we try to purchase meat locally that has been raised and slaughtered as humanely as possible.
Free-lance Writer & Blogger
KC Education Enterprise
http://kceducationenterprise.org/
Education Enterprise
http://open.salon.com/blog/jolynne
JoLynne

Postby sashamae on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:00 am

I watched the news story on it and am very thankful that we get all of our beef from my parents farm! No additives there!

KMBC did call several of the local stores and ask them if they use it. I remember that if you buy your beef at Hy-Vee go for the Amana beef because it does NOT have pink slime, but the other kinds that they sell do.

I don't believe that Wal-Mart would answer them, which makes me think that the do. But Costco does not.
sashamae

Postby mighty on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:44 am

I heard this story, too. If you knew what was in half the food that's for sale, you'd be pretty grossed out.

I have a relative who's a meat inspector for the USDA, who told me he'd never eat another hot dog after what he'd seen. I gave up on Jello for maaaany years after a college professor told us what it was made from. Now I'm thinking ... meh ... I like Jello.

Will grocery store butchers grind meat into hamburger if you ask them to? That way you could sidestep pink slime and who knows what else.
mighty

Postby mygr8crew on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:46 am

sashamae wrote:I watched the news story on it and am very thankful that we get all of our beef from my parents farm! No additives there!

KMBC did call several of the local stores and ask them if they use it. I remember that if you buy your beef at Hy-Vee go for the Amana beef because it does NOT have pink slime, but the other kinds that they sell do.

I don't believe that Wal-Mart would answer them, which makes me think that the do. But Costco does not.

And Amana costs twice as much as the other! I do like to buy Costco meat, so I guess that is incentive to keep up my membership.
Susan
Proud Mom to
Taylor, 18
Grace, 16
Gabe, 14
Simon, 12

"Whatever your fight, don't be ladylike!" Mother Jones

http://fiftytwoweeksofme.wordpress.com/
mygr8crew

Postby battlefieldmomma on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:56 am

I've been toying with purchasing a Costco membership. The only thing holding me back is there isn't one that is real close to us.
battlefieldmomma

Postby mygr8crew on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:34 am

battlefieldmomma wrote:I've been toying with purchasing a Costco membership. The only thing holding me back is there isn't one that is real close to us.

I understand. Ours is about five minutes away, so I love it, but if I had to drive, it might be another story. I love Costco because they have such a nice offering of organic items, enviromentally friendly cleaners and cheap milk. I have never had a Sam's membership, which is also close by, but I am not fond of Walmart/Sam's, because of their labor practices and how almost everything sold there is Made in China. I feel better about shopping at Costco, they treat their workers well.
Susan
Proud Mom to
Taylor, 18
Grace, 16
Gabe, 14
Simon, 12

"Whatever your fight, don't be ladylike!" Mother Jones

http://fiftytwoweeksofme.wordpress.com/
mygr8crew

Postby sashamae on Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:56 pm

mygr8crew wrote:And Amana costs twice as much as the other! I do like to buy Costco meat, so I guess that is incentive to keep up my membership.

Now you know why it cost so much! No pink slime! ;)
sashamae

Return to Fitness and diet