advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Social Suppers

Social Suppers

Postby NorthlanderPT65 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:25 am

Has anyone tried these suppers? Are they worth going to? How about just picking up one of the meals already prepared? Is it any good?

Just wondering - NorthlanderPT65
*** Patty ***
NorthlanderPT65

Re: Social Suppers

Postby kidlit_kim on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:51 am

I have never been to one of the sessions where you prepare the meals. I have picked up a "meal in a bag" at a place in Overland Park. I would definitely do it again! The meals I chose that week had all the items chopped. Any sauces were prepared and bagged or frozen. All I had to do was follow the easy instructions and cook it.

I think it's great for those nights where you don't want take out and don't really want to think about what to cook, but you also want something nutritious.
kidlit_kim

Postby opksmom on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:41 am

I tried Social Suppers a few months ago and LOVE it! It works very well for my family. My kids are very picky eaters and I found that I was in a huge rut with my weekly meal planning, which then lead to my hubby and I always being tempted to run out and grab a bite somewhere just for the opportunity to eat something different. Social Suppers has now allowed me to offer something new without researching recipes or having to buy a bunch of ingredients, etc. The menu changes once a month but they do repeat popular items. Since I've just started going, I've been making one of everything to try. I then jot down the ones we like so that I can make them again when they come around. I then have a freezer full of meals that I can set out the day before and can supplement my regular menu with a new variety of stuff. The meals run about $3 a serving, and you can buy 1/2 or full meals at a "per meal" price instead of a flat rate. My family of five typically gets by with 1/2 meals as I then supplement the meal with a veggie and/or salad and bread so it makes a nice meal pretty cheaply. Oh, I have also started taking both of my girls each time and we all three will put together the meals at the location. It allows us some quality fun time and then they know what is actually in the food and seem to be more willing to give new things a try!
opksmom

Postby leslie514 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:51 am

My oldest daughter's school had a PTA night at Meal Savors here in Liberty, and since my husband travels, we thought it might be a good time to give it a try. We also did the pick up (if I had a friend to go with, I might have tried the prepare yourself option), and since I would be using the meals without hubby, we chose to have most of the meals split (only feeds 2 adults).

I was pleased with the meals. It was really nice having dinner planned and with the crockpot meals, it was even easier since there wasn't any thawing to do! The kids seemed to like it too, so thats always a plus. I just checked the freezer yesterday and noticed we still have one meal left, so maybe that will be on the weekly menu this week.

If I had a bit more ambition I could do this myself. Spend a weekend day cooking 5+ meals and freezing them. Sounds like a good idea, but I usually choose to clean house, do errands and watch football! Just not enough time I guess :)

Leslie
leslie514

Postby ShellyT on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:34 am

I have done a ton of these. I have tried the following:
Social Suppers
Super Suppers
Let's Dish
Meal Savors
Dream Dinners

My favorite is Let's Dish and then Social Suppers and Super Suppers come in next. I didn't like Meal Savors at all. Yuck, we ended up actually throwing it all away :( This is when they first opened so maybe it's gotten better?

I use to go and make all my meals but now I do the grab and go and that works out well.

Social Suppers has an amazing Big Dawg Ribs, Bacon Wrap Pork Fillets and BBQ Beef Sandwiches. We get those alot. The one in Liberty MO is awesome and the owner is so nice. My daughter had her 10th birthday party there. The girls LOVED it. They each got to make their own meal. It was so much fun!

Recently I have been buying a ton from Super Suppers. They have smaller portions that are only $6.00 and feed my 3 children. We use these alot when I am making something for hubby and I, that I know my children will not like. Their favorites are Chicken and Noodles (this is sooo good), Mamas Meatballs and Noodles and Cheese Tortellini. Their sconces are soooo good as well!

I don't get to Let's Dish very often because it is so far away but this one is by far the best. The meat is FRESH!! All the other places the meat is frozen. Big difference in flavor because the meat actually marinates before it gets frozen. Love this place.

Anyhow, that is my input on them! :)
Blessings to you,
Shelly T
Do you need a website?
http://www.DIYeStores.com
ShellyT

Postby dramamama on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:35 pm

I've been cooking at Your Other Kitchen in Olathe for two or three years now and it's a lifesaver. I tend to gravitate toward the entree choices that are take-and-bake casseroles or crock pot recipes. In about an hour, I can whip together 12 entrees for under $200 (I sometimes make two or three of the ones I know my kids will especially like). Then I use two or sometimes three a week, depending on the week. They're great because I can either throw something in the crockpot when I leave in the morning OR i can call my high school-age daughter in the afternoon and have her put the casserole in the oven. Either way, we can eat practically the minute I walk in the door. With my hungry crew, the no-wait factor is worth the slightly higher cost of not making everything myself at home. And the portions are plentiful for my family of 5. Another saving grace: I find I actually save on groceries over the course of a month because I limit the waste of buying things I never get around to cooking for one reason or another because of our hectic schedule. (Anyone else have vegetables that molder in the crisper drawer???)....
dramamama

Postby amypie on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:01 pm

I tried Social Suppers and Super Suppers and did not find either of them worth the time or the money. I didn't like how deceptive they are with their meal descriptions. Canned soup is not bechamel sauce. The worker at Social Suppers didn't even know what bechamel sauce was when I asked her. Their meat was really awful. I really hoped for better because I love the idea, and my family isn't really picky, but when they won't eat the meals it doesn't save me time or money.
amypie

Postby ShellyT on Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:54 pm

amypie,

if you like more gourmet style, try Let's Dish or Dream Dinners. Those both seem to be on the gourmet side, while the other two mentioned are more comfort, easy type meals.
Blessings to you,
Shelly T
Do you need a website?
http://www.DIYeStores.com
ShellyT

Return to Recipes, meals and snacks