advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

getting the kid to drive and other growing pains

getting the kid to drive and other growing pains

Postby Dawn on Wed May 08, 2013 7:02 am

My 16 year old is not enjoying the thought of growing up. It is like pulling teeth to get him to drive. I just shoved him outside today and reminded his father to make him drive, and you could hear the grumbling all the way. We are also hoping he will get a summer job. In this economy, he may already be past the date for getting hired, but he needs the growing experience. He refuses to get applications somewhere he doesn't want to work. I think picky is not an option. But, to meet in the middle, I would just like him to apply to several places he's interested in at first and go from there. I just want him to practice work, it's a few short years to supporting himself.

My husband and I were both working early in our teen years, we both drove by 15. I hate to think of my son holding onto fear of growing up because life will be harder for him. So tempting to send him to his elderly great aunt and uncle's ranch for the summer and make him work there. But, I fear they'll be even softer on him.
Dawn

Re: getting the kid to drive and other growing pains

Postby momonnet on Wed May 08, 2013 2:09 pm

We had to push our son at that age too to drive.
momonnet

Postby thelommer on Thu May 09, 2013 11:16 am

My daughter couldn't wait to drive and she had a summer job at that age and loved it!! We made her save 1/2 of every pay check and then the rest she could do with as she pleased :)
thelommer

Postby frizzed on Thu May 09, 2013 7:37 pm

my son is 18 and will graduate from high school in less than a week and still doesn't drive one bit. However, once that butt of his walks across the stage at graduation, he is going to start working on getting his license again.

As for work, he works close enough that he can walk.
If you are gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
frizzed

Postby mamalackey on Fri May 10, 2013 6:34 am

First kid got his license and drove right on schedule.

Second kid didn't get hers until she had to have it for identification for travel. Her excuse was we lived in Chicago and she was afraid of the traffic. To be honest her mom wasn't so fond of it either. Kid still doesn't like to drive now, 9 years later.

Baby daughter didn't want to get her licence and was 19 before she did.

I think all kids are different and that even comes to driving.
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
Edie
mamalackey

Postby battlefieldmomma on Sun May 12, 2013 3:21 pm

Mine are a little behind schedule, but that is probably more circumstances than anything. The driving may pick up this summer since one already has a job lined up (not a phenomenal job, but a job) & the other is still looking & applying. I'm not really sure that he wants to find a job - I've told him that he is not playing on the computer all summer long. However, 2 young drivers at the same time makes for a hefty insurance bill. Ouch!
battlefieldmomma

Return to Teens