advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

No Longer a Babysitter ...

No Longer a Babysitter ...

Postby JoLynne on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:25 pm

When my 13-year-old co-founded an anime club at her school, she convinced her language arts teacher to sponsor their meetings on Friday afternoons. The language arts teacher agreed so long as they got someone to co-sponsor the club on days when she was sick or had to leave early. That co-sponsor ended up being me.

Yesterday the school called and asked me to cover the meeting, so I took my book and some other work and went. There's nothing to do other than sit and watch the kids run their meeting, which they do very well, and they even clean up after themselves with very little supervision required. They're teenagers now. One of the boys is even 18.

I found myself feeling useless. "Why am I here?" And then I realized that my parental brain is still making the transition from "parent of child" to "parent of teenager." There were both girls and boys at the meeting. One of them was 18. Oh! Then I knew why I was there.

I'm not a babysitter anymore. I'm a chaperone. All of a sudden it made sense. And I'm still useful! :D
Free-lance Writer & Blogger
KC Education Enterprise
http://kceducationenterprise.org/
Education Enterprise
http://open.salon.com/blog/jolynne
JoLynne

Re: No Longer a Babysitter ...

Postby momonnet on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:37 am

:-)
momonnet

Postby thelommer on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:34 am

So true!! By that age "teens" probably don't even want to think of an adult parent as a "babysitter" :)
thelommer

Postby AmandaKe on Mon May 06, 2013 9:03 am

Even when they make the transition to adult you'll still be needed! I don't think the job of parent ever really ends.
AmandaKe

Return to Teens