advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

It's spring and ... time for clothes shopping.

It's spring and ... time for clothes shopping.

Postby JoLynne on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:29 am

I breathed a sigh of relief when my daughter -- who's 13 now -- stopped growing so much that she needed new clothes every time I turned around. Now she still grows, but in spurts. I know she's about to shoot up again when she starts craving milk and downs a couple of big milk bottles full in a couple of days. The thing is, she doesn't have any patience for clothes shopping. And she's about my size now. And her favorite place to go shopping is -- you guessed it -- my clothes closet. Just this morning, she told me she needed some slacks to wear, because everything was in the laundry, and what could I loan her? I don't mind sharing, but -- really -- the girl needs clothes of her own, especially since my slacks fit around her waist but are not quite long enough, because she's taller than me. Plus she's harder on my clothes than I am, and my slacks are wearing out and have stains on them. So I tossed her a pair of slacks but insisted .... INSISTED ... that she has to go with me this weekend to the store and try on clothes. Besides which, most of her slacks that fit are winter weight, and she needs some for warmer weather. Who else needs to go clothes shopping now for warm-weather clothes for their growing kids?
Free-lance Writer & Blogger
KC Education Enterprise
http://kceducationenterprise.org/
Education Enterprise
http://open.salon.com/blog/jolynne
JoLynne

Re: It's spring and ... time for clothes shopping.

Postby thelommer on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:43 am

That's what I did over the weekend.... My son is only 7, but he is growing so fast that almost all of his spring/summer pants and shorts from last year are too little.... So Friday night I drug both him and my husband with me for a little shopping and then on Sunday afternoon I went by myself as seriously that boy grows like crazy!!!!
thelommer

Postby momonnet on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:39 pm

OH yes!!!!! My daughter has outgrown most everything. Even her shoes. I would share but she wears bigger shoes and is much taller than me. I have been looking on eBay a lot. I went to kohls three times last week getting clothes and she's i thought would fit..., but didn't. Lots of exchanging last week :-0
momonnet

Postby JoLynne on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:47 pm

When my daughter was little, I would buy clothes and bring them home to her, and she would love and wear them and they would fit her. But not now. She has to be with me to try them on. I don't like returning things that don't fit. Middle school kids' shapes shift so often, it is very hard to find clothes that fit them just right.

Thankfully this evening she went with me and tried on clothes and we found a number of things that we agreed were cute and fit. Phew! She has clothes again.
KC Education Enterprise
Education Enterprise
JoLynne

Postby JayhawkKaty on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:25 am

I'm glad you had a successful shopping trip. My son is 11, and he has always been off the charts at the doctor's office. For a couple of summer seasons, we got by with what we had, since he didn't grow much, and we didn't have to worry about length for shorts. Well, look out now. He currently wears a size 11.5 men's shoe, and we just recently got him some new pairs of lightweight pants and a couple pairs of jeans in size 16.

He had been complaining that he was getting fat, because the size 14s were too tight. I said, no, you are growing. You could also tell because the pants were about 2 inches too short. I've told my hubby that our son will be wearing a bigger shoe size than him in about a year (my hubby wears a 13). He doesn't believe me. We'll see. :)
Katy
DS - 11
DD - 6
JayhawkKaty

Postby JoLynne on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 am

Yeah, my daughter's pediatrician told me -- when she was younger -- that she might grow as tall as me one day (and I'm only 5'3"). Now, at age 13, she's several inches taller than me and still growing. So much for that formula that supposedly tells you how big your kid will one day be based on their measurements when they're three or so.
KC Education Enterprise
Education Enterprise
JoLynne

Postby momonnet on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 pm

JoLynne wrote:When my daughter was little, I would buy clothes and bring them home to her, and she would love and wear them and they would fit her. But not now. She has to be with me to try them on. I don't like returning things that don't fit. Middle school kids' shapes shift so often, it is very hard to find clothes that fit them just right.

Thankfully this evening she went with me and tried on clothes and we found a number of things that we agreed were cute and fit. Phew! She has clothes again.

I don't like to bring stuff back at all either, but my daughter has basicly only been in bed besides dr visits since November .... So her coming wasn't an option. Hopeing and praying it will be an option soon :-)
momonnet

Postby battlefieldmomma on Sun May 12, 2013 3:28 pm

I've been trying to convince my daughter to dress a little nicer than short/jeans & a T-shirt. So far, no success. Yesterday, I managed to get her to try on 4 dresses & she picked out 1. She says she is going to wear it. We'll see.

A little off topic: We went to JCPenneys because there was a dress in their ad that I wanted (remarkable in & of itself because I normally shop online - OK, I looked online & couldn't find it). I hadn't been to JCP since I was in my twenties. I was pleasantly surprised (& so was daughter) with the store & the selection. The sales folks were nice & helpful too. It was a great experience.
battlefieldmomma

Return to Teens