advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Wicked: a Christian Perspective

Wicked: a Christian Perspective

Postby hotmomma on Fri May 16, 2008 12:40 pm

I need some advice on the Broadway musical "Wicked." I know the basic storyline, but from a Christian perspective, is it an appropriate show? Please give your thoughts.
No one can make something untrue simply by choosing not to believe it. ~ Dr. David Jeremiah

Telling a woman what to do in her own home is like trying to baptize a cat. ~ Phil McGraw

A gun carrying Christian is a Christian criminals should fear. ~ Amy Pinson, NRA member
hotmomma

Re: Wicked: a Christian Perspective

Postby mamalackey on Fri May 16, 2008 12:45 pm

Appropriate how? For children?

20yo daughter saw it last year with her dad and I asked her about it. She, unfortunately can't remember. She did say, though, that the play and the book it came from are different and the book is not a children's book.
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
Edie
mamalackey

Postby hotmomma on Fri May 16, 2008 12:58 pm

Appropriate for Christians to attend.
No one can make something untrue simply by choosing not to believe it. ~ Dr. David Jeremiah

Telling a woman what to do in her own home is like trying to baptize a cat. ~ Phil McGraw

A gun carrying Christian is a Christian criminals should fear. ~ Amy Pinson, NRA member
hotmomma

Postby epv5 on Fri May 16, 2008 1:09 pm

I think the big message is about getting to know others more than just surface-level and that there's more to us than what others see, I think it's a message of understanding vs misunderstanding and empowerment; there's nothing inherently un-Christian-like about that. If you're referring to anything cultish or supernatural, I don't know, but I am seeing Wicked this Sunday, so will know for sure then. The info website I went to said it was apropraite for ages 8 and up and I am taking both my girls, ages 8 and 6.
epv5

Postby mabry on Fri May 16, 2008 2:01 pm

I've seen it and it's no more un-Christian than the Wizard of OZ. There's witches (good and bad) and flying monkeys (they may be scary to really little kids) and that's about it. Nothing evil, nothing racy. It's a very sweet story about friendship, and understanding, and looking beneath the surface. I think it would be a great show for teen and pre-teen girls. Hope that helps!
mabry

Postby katebeem on Fri May 16, 2008 3:33 pm

I guess you need to decide whether you think the Wizard of Oz is appropriate for Christians.

"Wicked" is about refraining from judging people by how they look and realizing that you can be anything you want despite your background.

We saw it in December in New York and took our kids, ages 11, 10 and 5. All loved it. It's fantastic (meaning "fantasy") and the music is great.
katebeem
Site Admin

Postby mthomp4078 on Fri May 16, 2008 3:38 pm

My SIL is a minister and she enjoyed it.
My Friend Jenny...My favorite Christmas Toy
mthomp4078

Postby epv5 on Tue May 20, 2008 8:07 am

OK, saw it 2 nights ago and couldn't have loved it more! My 8 year old was totally enthralled and my 6 year old was pretty antsy, but said she liked it too. It's almost 3 hours, so maybe a little long for the 6 year old, especially since we saw it at 7:00 in the evening. Really a great message about bullying and not judging a book by its cover,etc.
epv5

Postby hepchick65 on Sat May 09, 2009 10:29 am

I saw Wicked last night in the City. I would not see this show as teaching any christian values. It is the opposite. Evil is portrayed as good. The Wizard says there is no truth; truth is what the collective believe. When he says this the whole crowd laughed becuase they actually believe that's true. The theme is that it's good to be wicked. In one song Elphie sings that she won't do good anymore. Without God there is no reason to be good. It was a great performance but the theme and things they say are definetly against God's Truth. Romans 12:9 " Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. In the original movie the witch was definetly evil. Now evil isn't really evil just misunderstood. Be careful Christian if you are blindly letting these lies sink in. I enjoyed watching it and I laughed a lot. But I wouldn't recommend it for young minds unless you are going to address the lies it teaches with God's opposing Truth. There are many more reasons to have a guarded mind if you see it. If you go ask God first to protect your mind and reveal the enemies lies. Yes it's just a show but the enemy is sly and will use any means to teach you his lies while pulling you away from God's truth.
hepchick65

Postby ProxyMom on Sat May 09, 2009 10:43 am

I have a different take. I think it was teaching that what the government labels as 'good' or 'evil' is not necessarily correct. Also, if I recall correctly, the 'good' government was trying to eradicate/subvert the existing religion.

If the musical was completely true to the book, I might advise you to skip it just because it was a bit heavy-handed / junior high in its message about propoganda, oppression, etc. But the musical is a lighter fare, and rather a sweet story where the geeky girl is the heroine. Not bad.
DSD 11 / DD 5 / DS 3

"The problem with you is you're completely delusional" Phineas Flynn
ProxyMom

Location: Sitting at my homemade tinfoil table, wondering why the "popular girls" keep staring at me

Next

Return to Events