advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Scholarship!

Re: Scholarship!

Postby dollarfifty on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:28 am

That is awesome!! Congrats!!!
I hope in a few years I'll be able to post the same thing.
How did she achieve the scholarship? If you don't mind me asking.
I'm so far behind I think I'm first.
dollarfifty

Postby LilacLover on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:46 am

Dollar

She worked extremely HARD to get great grades and to get a very high SAT score. Then SHE spent a huge amount of time researching schools and scholarships. She applied to tons and tons of scholarships and schools.

Disclaimer: She has always been academically gifted but the hard work was just as important she will tell you--

Also she has picked some highly recruitable fields of study and has taken language classes in arabic and international relations through MCC.

She really wanted Wash U (in St Louis) and Roosevelt was not even second choice, but she dealt with it and moved on.

I am proud of the woman she is becoming.

Lila
"The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own. "
~ Benjamin Disraeli
LilacLover

Postby blessedx3 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:56 am

I've told mine several times that they will NEED a scholarship. Who can afford full tuition these days?
blessedx3

Postby charbondia on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:00 am

blessedx3 wrote:I've told mine several times that they will NEED a scholarship. Who can afford full tuition these days?

No kidding! No wonder community colleges have seen increased enrollment.

Congrats, Lila, to you and your DD. It sounds like she's got a good head on her shoulders!
charbondia

Postby mygr8crew on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:12 am

Lila, that is so exciting! She sounds like quite a motivated young lady!

As my daughter talks more and more about college, she keeps veering towards UMKC which really excites me. Then she would be close. But, I would never keep her from going far away, as long as we could afford to do it.
Susan
Proud Mom to
Taylor, 18
Grace, 16
Gabe, 14
Simon, 12

"Whatever your fight, don't be ladylike!" Mother Jones

http://fiftytwoweeksofme.wordpress.com/
mygr8crew

Postby sahmiam43 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:07 pm

!!! Congrats to her!!! LOVE Chicago-- my DH used to work right down block from Roosevelt. Great area, she's going to love it. SO will you when you visit.

Don't overlook the train as a transportation method, I've taken it from Chicago to KC before and it's fun! Plus, flights are about an hour... once you do it a couple times it's not so far away.

I went far away to college and still had a great relationship with my folks.
DD- 16
DS-14
DS-7

But wait! There's more! For the low price of a clickity click click,click...
http://thehistorychicks.com/
http://sahmiam43.blogspot.com
sahmiam43

Postby Horton on Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:16 pm

blessedx3 wrote:I've told mine several times that they will NEED a scholarship. Who can afford full tuition these days?

Absolutely! I've told ours the same thing.
Horton

Postby 2fromchina on Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:50 pm

First off, congrats on the scholarship! I am originally from Chicago and attended Roosevelt for grad work. Great school! She will love living in the city! There is so much, culturally for her to do and see! Safety issues are the same if whether she went to Chicago or Columbia.
2fromchina

Postby JayhawkKaty on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Congratulations to you and your daughter! Congrats to you for instilling such a good work ethic in her, and congrats to her for all the hard work!
My kids are small right now, so we have several years before we need to worry about college, but I will be thrilled with them if they get a scholarship!
As far as the distance and missing her, speaking from my own college experience, I think it will be good for her independence. I attended a community college for two years and lived at home prior to going to KU, and I think that made it more difficult to cut those apron strings from my parents!
Again, congrats! You must be very, very proud!
Katy
DS - 11
DD - 6
JayhawkKaty

Postby momonnet on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 am

WOW! That is soooo great! amazing!! But I know it will be sad for you for her to be away. I would be on the floor crying!!! hee hee But wonderful about the scholarship!!!!!!
momonnet

PreviousNext

Return to College