advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Great. Now we're both confused.

Re: Great. Now we're both confused.

Postby pmonkeefan on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:54 pm

hotmomma wrote:
sashamae wrote:
trishlovesdolphins wrote: Part of the hardness of potty training is that if a child doesn't FEEL wet, they don't make the connection. They might have some accidents, but they'll know almost immediately and it will help them make the connection to prevent it.

My son could have cared less if he was wet or if he had pooped in his pants, it just didn't bother him at all!

Yeah, neither of my kids cared.

Training at home is WAY different than if your child attends daycare. Since you mentioned having 1 income, I assume either you or DH stay at home with the kids. Bottom line, if they aren't ready and you try to make them do it, it'll only turn out very badly and damage any future attempts with bad memories (for you AND kiddo!).

I agree diapering two is no peachy idea, but we do what we gotta do.

It might be harder to do at home, but I'm more of the old school, parents run the show. JMO. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not, but I've never met a parent who really wanted their kid trained not be able to train them if they had control of the situation. Not an insult, just an opinion.
[/url]
pmonkeefan

Postby hotmomma on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:48 pm

trishlovesdolphins wrote:Not an insult, just an opinion.

None taken.

I'll keep a plate of crow warm for you...just in case. ;)
No one can make something untrue simply by choosing not to believe it. ~ Dr. David Jeremiah

Telling a woman what to do in her own home is like trying to baptize a cat. ~ Phil McGraw

A gun carrying Christian is a Christian criminals should fear. ~ Amy Pinson, NRA member
hotmomma

Postby pmonkeefan on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:23 pm

hotmomma wrote:
trishlovesdolphins wrote:Not an insult, just an opinion.

None taken.

I'll keep a plate of crow warm for you...just in case. ;)

Sure, we'll see. ;)
[/url]
pmonkeefan

Postby maggieS on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:50 pm

It might be harder to do at home, but I'm more of the old school, parents run the show. JMO. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not, but I've never met a parent who really wanted their kid trained not be able to train them if they had control of the situation. Not an insult, just an opinion.

Sorry Trish, but I'm picking myself off the floor right now, I laughed so hard at this. Even wiping a little tear from my eye.

And for all you first time (or second time) mommies out there who are crawling into a hole, feeling like a failure--don't. Potty training is an area where the passive aggressive kid or extremely strong willed child just has the upper hand--I've never met anyone yet who has been able to force a child to release a bowel movement from his or her body if that child has determined that he or she is not going to do it (well, I guess you could, theoretically, if you had no qualms about giving a child an enema). Some of the best parents I know have struggled in this area, parents who for the most part "run the show".
"If You, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be found. . ."
http://www.gotquestions.org
maggieS

Location: trying to find this table you are all talking about. . .

Postby pmonkeefan on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:20 pm

I didn't say anyone was a failure. I said that if the parent wants it bad enough, it becomes a battle of wills. My will wins. You just have to commit to the battle is all. If you can't, you can't. That doesn't make you a failure, it makes you busy or willing to wait it out.

I've had lots of kids that refused to potty for their parents, but would go an entire week without accidents. Lots. I didn't think they were failures, in fact, the majority of those parents were very hands on, but just very busy and didn't have the time to go potty every 2 hours.
[/url]
pmonkeefan

Postby cnnplus5 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:31 pm

Trish, this is just a guess here, but I think you better wait until you have some personal experience here - with your own kid or better yet multiple children. Day care kids don't count. My kids will do amazing things for other people that I could never get them to do and I'm a MOTHER IN CONTROL! I've got five kiddos and potty training is enough to drive any parent insane. Every single one of them was different and I couldn't force any of them to do it the way I wanted. Just sayin....or you might be eating that crow that hotmomma is saving for ya! ;)
Love the Birch tree - a favorite of mine in New England fall scenery
http://www.thebestclean.vpweb.com
cnnplus5

Postby pmonkeefan on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:37 pm

cnnplus5 wrote:

Trish, this is just a guess here, but I think you better wait until you have some personal experience here - with your own kid or better yet multiple children. Day care kids don't count. My kids will do amazing things for other people that I could never get them to do and I'm a MOTHER IN CONTROL! I've got five kiddos and potty training is enough to drive any parent insane. Every single one of them was different and I couldn't force any of them to do it the way I wanted. Just sayin....or you might be eating that crow that hotmomma is saving for ya! ;)

Look, the OP asked for ways that have worked. That has worked for me. I don't see why anyone is jumping to conclusions that I'm saying anything negative about someone's parenting, or dismissing me as some silly person who doesn't have a clue. I majored in child development, up until my last 2 years when I changed my major, I went through all the psyc and development classes. I told what has worked for me. It's worked for people I've recommended it to. Take it or leave it, it's just an opinion. Just because they were "day care" kids, doesn't mean the system didn't work.

I never used the word forced. I said, take them in consistent increments in time. I said reward when they go. I didn't say force them to go potty. That's like trying to force a cat to sit in one place all day.
Last edited by pmonkeefan on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[/url]
pmonkeefan

Postby hotmomma on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:51 pm

trishlovesdolphins wrote:That's like trying to force a cat to sit in one place all day.

Or herding chickens.
No one can make something untrue simply by choosing not to believe it. ~ Dr. David Jeremiah

Telling a woman what to do in her own home is like trying to baptize a cat. ~ Phil McGraw

A gun carrying Christian is a Christian criminals should fear. ~ Amy Pinson, NRA member
hotmomma

Postby Neba on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:53 pm

hotmomma wrote: trishlovesdolphins wrote:That's like trying to force a cat to sit in one place all day.

Or herding chickens.

Haven't you people ever heard of duct tape?
"(Reverend Finley): Sometimes we must come full circle to find the truth. Why does that surprise you? (Scully): Mostly, it just makes me afraid. (Reverend Finley): Afraid? (Scully): Afraid that God is speaking... but that no one's listening." The X-Files
Neba

Postby pmonkeefan on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:09 pm

Neba wrote:
hotmomma wrote: trishlovesdolphins wrote:That's like trying to force a cat to sit in one place all day.

Or herding chickens.

Haven't you people ever heard of duct tape?

HA! :lol:
[/url]
pmonkeefan

PreviousNext

Return to Potty training