advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

It is a Soccer Game NOT a Frat party..

It is a Soccer Game NOT a Frat party..

Postby bvmom on Sun May 30, 2010 2:36 pm

My teen has been playing soccer for 9 years. Yesterday I witnessed my first "since we can't go to the Ozarks this weekend we will just bring the party to the field" experience.

DD13's team was playing in a local tournament. As we headed to the soccer field that was in the middle of a wooded area I noticed that the other team's parents had coolers. At first I felt bad as perhaps we should have brought drinks for our players or perhaps cooled cloths (as I thought that was the purpose of the contents of the coolers)--no the coolers actually stayed with the parents.

The parents of the other team were decked in "sparkly" tank tops adorned with the team logo and fancy hats so I knew we were in store for a boisterous time. Again I felt slightly bad that our girls would not be experiencing the same enthusiasm from our parents, however, the girls are at the age that they would almost prefer that we slow the vehicles to a roll and that they jump from the vehicles and we would pick them up at the end of the game via a text notification.

As the game progressed several of the "sparkly" moms became very loud and were providing a running commentary on the height (or lack of height) of our players, mimicking the comments of our team's players as they directed teammates for plays, singing "pants on the ground", and just making obnoxious comments about the surroundings. Sadly the sibs of our players noticed that the other team's coolers were filled with wine coolers (the moms hid the contents of the drinks with skins). The combination of alcohol and heat escalated the frivolity. The little sibs asked us about why parents would drink and make mean comments at a soccer game.

I was thinking that perhaps the girls on the field did not hear the comments since the field was also located in close proximity to a race track, but as my DD told me--"seriously, of course we could hear them. I thought about sending a well placed ball at Ms. Black Hat (the diva of the moms), but realized it would be poor sportsmanship!"

Just hoping the team had designated drivers...
bvmom

Re: It is a Soccer Game NOT a Frat party..

Postby sahmiam43 on Sun May 30, 2010 4:44 pm

YIKES!!! I would really love to hear the version from the sparkly shirts... ( not that I don't believe you, I do, I just am curious as to how that version of of support teaches the kids anything good.)
DD- 16
DS-14
DS-7

But wait! There's more! For the low price of a clickity click click,click...
http://thehistorychicks.com/
http://sahmiam43.blogspot.com
sahmiam43

Postby mamalackey on Sun May 30, 2010 4:58 pm

They were just showing team spirit. :roll:

Mom21, I like your daughter's style! :)
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
Edie
mamalackey

Postby jshaw on Sun May 30, 2010 7:04 pm

While I can sympathize with you - NO parent should ever mock or make fun of any kid - I also know several people that take a cooler of drinks with them to tournaments. They may pack a few adult bev's but mostly they are snacks and drinks for the kids. And they ALWAYS have a designated driver. Perhaps this is the new nightclub scene for soccer moms? I would have said something to them along the lines of "So does that make you feel better as an adult to mock a child?" I definitely would have let them know that others are aware of their comments as well as the kids. Is that the type of example you want to set for our future generation?
Bullies make the little baby Jesus cry.
jshaw

Postby pmonkeefan on Sun May 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Was this in Raytown? My BIL is in town because my nephew played in that tourney, we were out there today...

There were some nuts, but my nephew is only 8, so I think we lucked out on the hard core crazies.

Sorry, slight hijack :)
[/url]
pmonkeefan

Postby epv5 on Sun May 30, 2010 9:22 pm

There is no place for adult beverages at kids games, IMHO. Save that for the after-party. Parents these days are uber-involved in living vicariously thru their kids activities and fueling that sentiment w/ alcohol could be a dangerous mix. I've seen many a soccer dad (and mom at times) scream like a banshee at 12 year old soccer officials as well as softball umps. It's ridiculous. It can be hard to sit there, mouth shut, at times I freely admit. But it's better than getting kicked out or humiliating my kids.
epv5

Postby BelleArt on Mon May 31, 2010 7:51 am

I agree with epv; there is no place for alcohol at an underage sporting event.
Oops, I guess that would mean college athletics, too. Never mind.
Seriously,though, it would never occur to me to bring liquor to one of my children's athletic events.
Luke 10:27b..."Love your neighbor as yourself."
Our neighbor is anyone of any race, creed, or social background who is in need.
BelleArt

Postby sahmiam43 on Mon May 31, 2010 8:48 am

epv5 wrote:Parents these days are uber-involved in living vicariously thru their kids activities and fueling that sentiment w/ alcohol could be a dangerous mix. I've seen many a soccer dad (and mom at times) scream like a banshee at 12 year old soccer officials as well as softball umps.

Excellent point! My DH is a baseball coach, one time U8, I think-- It was really hot and DH was rotating catchers faster than normal to let them cool off and this one dad disagreed. The guy also thought he could do a better job than one of the umps. Anyway, he was consuming some adult beverage--- which totally proves EPVs point---and threatened my DH and this ump so much that all the other coaches and umps walked them to their cars. When the guy sobered up he apologized, but it was a rec league.

We aren't even talking tournament play here. I understand the appeal of sitting with your friends, having some social time during a game, but mix a bit of alcohol with a bit of sun and next thing you know inhibitions are lowered and the kids pay the price.
DD- 16
DS-14
DS-7

But wait! There's more! For the low price of a clickity click click,click...
http://thehistorychicks.com/
http://sahmiam43.blogspot.com
sahmiam43

Postby Neba on Mon May 31, 2010 9:02 am

Yuck. This is just...ugh. Our son belongs to the Metro East soccer club, and in the by-laws (I'm guessing this could probably in your kiddo's rules too) there are to be no alcoholic beverages allowed on the fields during ANY soccer event. They have board members who are monitors during games, and there is usually at least one at every game. I'm not sure if they've had to enforce this, but I've never seen anyone at any game with a "banned" beverage. I would seriously be tempted to make a complaint, if I were you. What a junky example those parents are setting for everyone...
"(Reverend Finley): Sometimes we must come full circle to find the truth. Why does that surprise you? (Scully): Mostly, it just makes me afraid. (Reverend Finley): Afraid? (Scully): Afraid that God is speaking... but that no one's listening." The X-Files
Neba

Postby bvmom on Mon May 31, 2010 11:05 am

It was at Raytown Soccer Complex. It was at Field 2 which is away from the rest of the complex so marshalls don't frequent that part of the complex. Sadly I noticed some of the obnoxious comments, but I didn't realize they were drinking until the sib told us. At that point I noticed the shape of the drinks and the skins--I guess I am used to some of the comments--however, they are usually addressed at the refs not the actual players. I also wasn't sure about the complex rules about alcohol.

I must admit singing "Pants on the Ground" is true genius--IF I and the other moms would have threatened to sing every time someone was walking down the field I think the girls would have stepped up their play just to avoid the serenade!

My biggest point of telling the story is that the kids are listening and watching and not just the action on the field. Although many a night I would love to be sipping on a cold adult refreshment at youth softball--I don't do it. For me it was also another reminder to watch my not so kind words...
bvmom

Next

Return to Sports