advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

New name for a new dog?

Re: New name for a new dog?

Postby maggieS on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:43 pm

I'm with Neba, too; those little creatures freaked me out. It's their eyes. *shudder* Your cat sounds cool, though; kind of like a live Garfield.
"If You, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be found. . ."
http://www.gotquestions.org
maggieS

Location: trying to find this table you are all talking about. . .

Postby signefreed on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:53 am

I had a yellow lab when I was in school; she was a rescue from the humaine society. She was approx. 3 when I got her. Her name was Molly. It suited her and she responded to it, so we kept it. I think it depends on the dog's temperment and age, personally.

The best names I have ever heard for a dog are:

1. "Barkley" (love, LOVE, this one) neighbors' Golden Retriever down the street.

2. "Killer" (cute and ironic) friend's tempramental toy poodle.

*Our cat's name is "Rambo," which has also been fun.
signefreed

Postby eparn on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:23 am

Honestly, I think if you want to change it, just do it. I've considered changing my dogs' names that we've had for 6 months. I won't do that to them. But I've thought about it.

Dogs are lucky to be adopted at all. We have no idea what names our dogs had before we got them. We didn't like the ones Wayside bestowed upon them, so we switched it up. We tried out a bunch of names trying to see if we could figure out their old names.

In the long run, the only thing that seems to make a difference is that we love them, and the only thing they reliably respond to is "treat".

They learned their new names quickly, though.
eparn

Postby mighty on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:20 am

Our cat came from a shelter, along with a name I wasn't fond of. I asked my DS if we should change her name, and he said, "NO, because she won't know who she is." ;)

I think you should name pets by how they act, so I wanted to name her Grace (kind of a joke, since she was always seeming to fall off the edge of the couch). I still don't like her name, so I call her Kitty, and my DS sticks with her original name. Now she responds to both.

Maybe you could use the original name, and another name, too? Kind of like a nickname thing? Just a thought. I know pets have feelings, am unsure if they get complexes.

Pets respond the fastest to whatever involves food. Shake that bag of dry food, open that can of wet food, and they come a-running, no matter what you call them. :D
mighty

Postby mamalackey on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:28 am

Dogs are easily trainable (or so I'm told--mine hasn't gotten that memo) so if you want a new name go with a new name.

What breed is your new family member? Congratulations!
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
Edie
mamalackey

Postby JayhawkKaty on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:55 am

Edie, we got another Golden. I had best intentions of going to the shelter and picking out a mixed breed dog, but missed my previous Golden so much. We started looking online at Petfinder and found Derby through a local rescue group. With all of his treatment bills (former owner had not taken him to vet in years), he probably cost more than a new puppy. He's very friendly, but was chewing everything in sight last night - tennis balls, toys for him. I think we'll need to get some more durable toys! I just hope he doesn't grab any of my children's stuffies.
Katy
DS - 11
DD - 6
JayhawkKaty

Postby mamalackey on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:06 am

I just love Golden Retrievers! I don't know that I could have another, though. I'd want the new dog to be Honey and I don't know that I could deal with it if the temperament were different.

What's up with the chewing? Goldens aren't known for that. They have a "soft mouth".
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
Edie
mamalackey

Postby JayhawkKaty on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:21 am

I don't know if he's nervous or what's going on. He was fine Monday night, but last night, he was a ball of energy. Our house isn't very big, but I had taken him outside at lunch yesterday to throw a ball, and we took him for a walk last night, too. We'll just have to keep him active - we were used to Roy's mellow temperament in his older years.

It's funny you say that about wanting Honey's personality back, too. Derby looks a lot like Roy, and he's very sweet, but he's definitely different. He's definitely a chowhound, or wants to be fed constantly, but since he's on special food, I hate to give him anything else, even natural food like green beans. I don't want to mess him up.

We had joked that our next dog would be a smaller dog, but it turns out I just couldn't look at any other dogs than a Golden. Love them!
Katy
DS - 11
DD - 6
JayhawkKaty

Postby battlefieldmomma on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 am

My mother has a golden that chews up stuffed animals. He generally starts with the face area - I don't think the behavior has any underlying meaning since he is about as sweet as they get.

If you don't like the name, change is to a similar name. I like Kirby & I would vote with the others on that one.

Good luck with your new household member. Maybe he was full of energy because he was happy. I hope you have many happy days/nights together.
battlefieldmomma

Postby frizzed on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:21 am

mummyjane wrote:i like the name buddy.

if you haven't named it already..

Oh I think a year and a half later than the original post, the dog has been long-named and perhaps even been hit by a car! :roll: Are all trolls as dumb as you?
If you are gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
frizzed

Previous

Return to Pets