advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

New name for a new dog?

New name for a new dog?

Postby JayhawkKaty on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Ladies,

We just adopted a new dog last night from a rescue group. We like him very much, but my husband doesn't like his name. He wants to change it.

The dog is 5 years old, though, and I would hate to give him a complex. Am I worrying about this too much? The poor guy has been in two different animal shelters and two different foster homes before coming to us.

What would you do? Keep the old name or change it to something new?
Katy
DS - 11
DD - 6
JayhawkKaty

Re: New name for a new dog?

Postby Neba on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:09 pm

I think it depends on the dog's name and what you're wanting to change it to. I don't know...can it give a dog a complex?? We adopted a dog when she was less than a year old, and we didn't like her name, so we changed it. We did keep the ending vowel sound the same to help with transition, and she did just fine (example: Change from Lacie to Wookie). So, what is this horrible name??
"(Reverend Finley): Sometimes we must come full circle to find the truth. Why does that surprise you? (Scully): Mostly, it just makes me afraid. (Reverend Finley): Afraid? (Scully): Afraid that God is speaking... but that no one's listening." The X-Files
Neba

Postby vengholm on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:16 pm

I wouldn't, unless it was very similar, or unless you really HATE his current name. When I worked at the shelter, we always advised people not to, just because it's stressful leaving a home where you've bonded with people and because that's the name he's been used to for so many years. A name change might be confusing to him.

Thanks for rescuing a dog! Older dogs can be so hard to place. You rock!
"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours." - Swedish Proverb
vengholm

Postby JayhawkKaty on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:23 pm

I didn't want to give out his name, just in case his previous owner would ever be on the site, but his name is Derby. It's a fine name, just not anything that would ever cross our minds as a name. I think with time my hubby might come around - in fact, I was the one who did all the legwork with finding this dog. We lost our previous dog only 4 weeks ago, so this is really fast for us to get a new dog. I had wanted to wait awhile, but then found myself looking for dogs.
Katy
DS - 11
DD - 6
JayhawkKaty

Postby maggieS on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:27 pm

When I was little, the neighbors and I were talking about dumb names on the bus on the way home from school. I mentioned that my brother had THE dumbest middle name EVER.

Turns out it was their dad's first name. :-)

Derby. That IS unique, and kind of cool. I like Neba's idea, too, though.

You could call him Herbie. Or Furby. :lol:
"If You, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be found. . ."
http://www.gotquestions.org
maggieS

Location: trying to find this table you are all talking about. . .

Postby vengholm on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Kirby!
"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours." - Swedish Proverb
vengholm

Postby Neba on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:34 pm

I'm so sorry you lost your previous pet, JK. I kinda dig the name Derby, but let's just say that's from a person who KNOWS that other people would change at least half the names we gave all the dogs I had growing up. Really...I've had a lot of "what was I thinking" moments in life. Naming dogs would be included in that category.

@Maggies, Furby!? Hahaha! I hated those little gremlin-looking things. They creeped me out. How about Nerdy, or Kirby?
"(Reverend Finley): Sometimes we must come full circle to find the truth. Why does that surprise you? (Scully): Mostly, it just makes me afraid. (Reverend Finley): Afraid? (Scully): Afraid that God is speaking... but that no one's listening." The X-Files
Neba

Postby seabiscuit on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:36 pm

I don't know, a dog with a complex. Owners give dogs complexes, I honestly don't think they care at all. Call him Max (random name) and give him a treat every time you say the name (Pupperoni is the best - like crack for dogs my trainer says). And go for it. You have a new name you both can live with and you foster bonding.

Anyway, congrats on the new addition!
That's a gen-u-ine PillowPet. A puppy's never had it so good!
seabiscuit

Postby maggieS on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Hahaha--I think Kirby is winning, Jayhawk. :) Val and Neba must have been posting at the same time.

You could make it a pirate dog and call him Scurby. . .
"If You, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be found. . ."
http://www.gotquestions.org
maggieS

Location: trying to find this table you are all talking about. . .

Postby JayhawkKaty on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Maggie, you are cracking me up! Furby! When my husband and I were first married, we had a big old orange cat named Gus. We lived in a townhouse that faced a courtyard shared by othere townhouses. Our cat would go visiting in the courtyard, and there was one townhouse that would let him in their house. They called him Furby! It was right around the time those little stuffed animals/toys were popular!
Katy
DS - 11
DD - 6
JayhawkKaty

Next

Return to Pets