advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Favorite movies of 2010?

Favorite movies of 2010?

Postby mamalackey on Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:31 am

I'm not a movie fan. I may have ADD or something but I rarely like sitting in one place for 2ish hours to watch a movie. I've seen one movie in a theater in the last 6 years--the Alice in Wonderland from last year.

We had all the kids here over Christmas break and lots of movies are involved in this. They are movie people. I saw some movies that were interesting, highly rated by the critics and movie going public.

Here are some of my thoughts.

I heard over the last months how wonderful the animated movie UP! was. It was the most depressing movie I've seen in a long time! I enjoyed about 10 minutes of it. The rest was a sad look at aging and loss. It was pretty to look at, though.

The movie Grown Ups was panned by critics but we thoroughly enjoyed it. We have friends like that--heck, we are friends like that. It was a nice escape movie. Very light.

We went into watching the new Karate Kid movie with the thought, why did someone feel the need to remake this? The new movie was like the first movie but completely different. Very beautiful. The Fresh Prince and his bride should be very proud of their son.

We watched, yesterday, all three of the Back to the future movies. How fun were they--both 20something years ago and today? Michael J. Fox was the boy I wanted to end up with back then and today he's the young man I'd be proud of if he was my son. (the on screen version of him)

We also watched a 1938 Frank Capra movie called Can't take it with you. It starred Jimmy Stewart and Lionel Barrymore. It was very similar to It's a Wonderful Life, but without the Christmas overtones and there were no angels or bells. :) Highly recommended for light and fun movie watching.

That's all that come to mind this morning. What movies have you watched in the last couple of weeks? What's left for today and tomorrow on your family's watch list?
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
Edie
mamalackey

Re: Favorite movies of 2010?

Postby mygr8crew on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:37 am

I watched "Grown Ups" this past week for the second time. I loved it and I am not usually a huge Adam Sandler fan. I did like "UP!" though. Yes, it made me cry, but something about it appealed to me.

A friend of mine gave me "Waking Ned Divine" to watch. I really liked that movie a lot. It is funny what people will do for the sake of money.

We saw the movies "Toy Story 3", "Alice and Wonderland" and the latest "Harry Potter" movie together as a family this past year. I loved them all.
Susan
Proud Mom to
Taylor, 18
Grace, 16
Gabe, 14
Simon, 12

"Whatever your fight, don't be ladylike!" Mother Jones

http://fiftytwoweeksofme.wordpress.com/
mygr8crew

Postby sashamae on Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:59 pm

I don't ever really seem to have the time to watch movies, except for after the kids have gone to bed and although they have an early bed time, I am still tired by then and don't really have the attention span for a long movie! All that being said in one really long sentence, I did watch Grown Ups a while back and thought it was pretty funny!

DH and I have found that we don't generally agree with the critics so if they say a movie is not very good then there is a good chance we will like it!

Otherwise the only movies I have watched lately have something to do with Dora, Mickey Mouse or Arthur!
sashamae

Postby dollarfifty on Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:52 pm

I'm watching the 'Untouchables' right now, didn't think I'd like it but it is good.
Watched 'Shutter Island' last night and I'm not to sure if I liked it, hard to follow, but it does all come together in the end.
We don't go to the theater, I depend on TV and netflix, but I LOVE watching movies.
Like you, mamaL, I can't stay in on place for long, so I'm up and down all thru movies AND while I'm on the PC.
I'm so far behind I think I'm first.
dollarfifty

Postby JayhawkKaty on Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:34 pm

I do enjoy movies, but I can name the only ones I saw in 2010, because I don't get to go to the theatre very often, unless it's with the kids. However, in 2010, in the theatre, I saw The Blind Side, Toy Story 3, Eclipse and Harry Potter 7 - Part 1, and I thoroughly enjoyed them all!
Katy
DS - 11
DD - 6
JayhawkKaty

Postby moosebane on Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:31 pm

I can never remember what I saw more than a few weeks ago, but I will say I loved the new Harry Potter movie! Last night DH took me to see True Grit. I really enjoyed it, and I personally thought Jeff Bridges did justice to Rooster Cogburn, although I'll always prefer the Duke. Josh Brolin was okay, Matt Damon ate Glen Campbell's lunch, and the girl playing Mattie was really, REALLY good!

Naturally, however, the Coens and Spielberg felt the need to add their own personal touch, so they completely changed the ending. Which sucked. That was the only part I truly didn't like. Oh, and they left out the whole rat writ thing. Very disappointing. :)
moosebane

Postby mamalackey on Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:39 pm

moosebane wrote:
Naturally, however, the Coens and Spielberg felt the need to add their own personal touch, so they completely changed the ending. Which sucked. That was the only part I truly didn't like. Oh, and they left out the whole rat writ thing. Very disappointing. :)

This movie is based on a book. In the book, the story is focused on the girl. The JW version focused on him because, well, he was the Duke! According to Hubby, this new version is kind of in between the two the book and the first movie.
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
Edie
mamalackey

Postby honeypie on Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:22 pm

We saw "True Grit" and enjoyed it. Bridges and Brolin were very good. The girl was outstanding in her part.
We cried through "Toy Story 3" as our youngest had just started college. And our oldest truly enjoyed playing with his toys and making up stories. "Up" made me cry as well.
"The American" was not very good, although George Clooney is fun to look at. "Easy A" was silly and kind of fun. "Karate Kid" is here, but haven't watched it.
I get some movies at the library and the kids do Netflix. And we go the theater maybe once a month. Monday through Thursday is $6 at the Palazzo.
Cupcakes, my favorite food group
honeypie

Postby 83hwy on Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:40 pm

Huge fan of "Up". Like "Black Stallion" (1980), best part was without dialogue. Loved Dug! :?: Wasn't it a 2009 movie?

"Burlesque" starring Cher. Stunning.

"Red" starring Malkovich, Willis, Parker, Mirren. Fabulous!
83hwy

Postby epv5 on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:28 pm

Since I'm one of those go-to-the-midnight-premier-of-Twilgiht-movies, I loved Eclipse, of course. I do actually think it is the best of the books, so has been my favorite of the movies thus far.

I saw 127 hours and was blown away. I knew the story already, but James Franco was excellent. He's acting alone most of the movie and he does a great job.

I liked Red and Easy A as well. Easy A had a lesson to be learned, but came about it comedically and Red was just alot of fun.

Inception was intriguing to me and Ben Affleck's The Town was superb. Black Swan was visually stunning, but it felt kind of long to me and perhaps too psychological. Toy Store 3...that movie totally transcended a cartoon movie to me. I cried and cried. I loved it. I loved Up too, btw. We went to The Karate Kid w/ another family of 5 and we all felt like it was the biggest Smith family vanity project ever - and I'm a fan of theirs - that movie just never ended. Seemed to last for days. I actually liked The Last Airbender, though I know it got bad reviews.

Can't recall what else I saw this year, but looking forward to 2011 for the next Twilight movie, Water For Elephants, and The Tree of Life or whatever that Brad Pitt/Sean Penn movie is called.
epv5

Next

Return to Music, movies, TV and books