advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Yes, Phill run for DA!

Yes, Phill run for DA!

Postby annieinkansas on Fri May 16, 2008 4:35 am

This is a big story in JoCo. I know at least one poster on the board is personal friends with Kline as the subject came up before.

Personally, I hope Kline does run. Surprising? Naw, there are some people/issues that really help GOTV (Get Out The Vote) and having Kline on the ballot will bring Joco voters out. Bigtime.

Run Phill Run!

From the KC Star today:
Will Phill Kline run, or won’t he?

Johnson County’s district attorney announced eight months ago that he would not be a candidate for the post this year. But with the June 10 filing deadline looming, some supporters are urging him to run.

And Kline is refusing to rule it out.

“I get people asking me to run and people asking me to move out of town all the time,” Kline said, limiting his response to that.

Kline took over the top job in January 2007 after the county Republican Party’s precinct leaders elected him to complete Paul Morrison’s term.

While Kline has strong support from some conservatives who want him to stay on and finish his prosecution of Planned Parenthood of Overland Park, critics contend he’s too focused on abortion.

“I would love to see him run,” said Pat Adair of Stilwell, state president of Women Influencing the Nation, a group that opposes abortion.

“He’s a good prosecutor and a good district attorney, and he isn’t the single-issue person he’s made out to be.”

Others say Kline, a Republican, should stay out of it.

Scott Schwab, chairman of the Johnson County Republican Party, said Kline made his decision when he issued a statement last September saying he would not seek election.

“Phill Kline cannot be a man of his word and a candidate at the same time,” Schwab said. “So he’s got to decide which is more important.”

The filing deadline is noon June 10. But someone running as an independent could file up until noon on Aug. 4, the secretary of state’s office said.

Already in the race are Republican Steve Howe and Democrat Rick Guinn, former Johnson County prosecutors.

Greg Musil, a co-chairman for Howe’s campaign, said he suspects that Kline is seriously considering a run, possibly as an unaffiliated candidate.

Kline probably would get support from those abortion opponents who treat him “as almost a saint” for being the first prosecutor in the country to obtain abortion records in a criminal prosecution of Planned Parenthood, Musil said.

But Kline won’t win, Musil predicted, because key moderate and conservative Republicans have lined up behind Howe.

Among those backing Howe are U.S. Sens. Sam Brownback and Pat Roberts.

Several abortion opponents recently visited Brownback at his Washington office. Adair, who was among them, said they asked Brownback whether he would be willing to back Kline, should Kline jump in.

“We didn’t get an answer,” she said.
annieinkansas

Re: Yes, Phill run for DA!

Postby cripjak on Fri May 16, 2008 5:08 am

Run Phil Run. Split your party. I'm sure the Democrats would appreciate it. Does he want to run and be blasted as a liar which would reflect on his parties conservative base that he is supposedly so loyal too? Maybe he's just a singleminded narcissist. What do you think?
cripjak

Postby ksumomma on Fri May 16, 2008 5:34 am

I would definitely "get out and vote" if he ran. I am a big fan of his.
"We are always too busy for our children: we never give them the time or interest they deserve. We lavish gifts upon them, but the most precious gift - our personal association, which means so much to them - we give grudgingly." Mark Twain
ksumomma

Postby Nascargirl on Fri May 16, 2008 6:03 am

I'd vote too, against him!
Of course Democrats are sexy, who ever heard of a nice piece of elephant!

Melissa
Mommy to 3 kids 6 and under!
Nascargirl

Postby epv5 on Fri May 16, 2008 6:55 am

The bottom line is that either the Republican or Democratic candidate is much more qualified than Phill Kline. If memory seves, they both worked under Paul Morrison when he was DA (as a Republican) and you can say what you want about Paul Morrison's personal failings as of late, but he was an excellent DA. Mr. Kline had the most limited of prosecutorial experience when he got the job. (as in having prosecuted ZERO criminal cases) All of that is despite the fact that he is arguably the most polarizing figure in Kansas politics. Except that apparently he's not too polarizing as the large majority of people did not vote for him the last time he was up for elected office. It was an insult to all of those people that he was then handed a job when clearly, the people did not want him. He may be a wonderful guy to those that know him, but "we the people" had already spoken and that was completely disregarded by the members of his party that gave him his current job. i'm not even going to go into the fact that he seems to want to use his office to advance his one issue agenda.
epv5

Postby ub_ on Sat May 17, 2008 6:00 am

I actually don't want Kline to run for several reasons. First and foremost, he has not done a good job as a DA. Erin Paige has made excellent arguments on the political front. The JOCO DA's office was one place that for decades was not partisan. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. The office has become a travesty. Did you know that fewer felony criminal cases have been filed by the DA's office since Kline has come into office? And this is during a time when the economy has taken a serious downturn, which usually means more crime. There have been a few cases where criminals are back on the streets because of some ineptness in Kline's office.

Kline is a nice enough guy on a personal level, but he's not a qualified criminal attorney. He's a politician, often times a gifted one. He could easily make a living working as head of a national pro-life organization or on the speaker's circuit. I respect his choice to believe the way he does about abortion, but he shouldn't be spending MY tax dollars promoting his agenda. There's real crime in Johnson County that needs to be taken care of, and Kline isn't focusing on that. He was letting Asst. DA Steve Maxwell run the show, but Maxwell left, kind of abruptly and mysteriously. I'm sure things now are more of a mess than ever.

Howe and Guinn are both quite qualified to run the DA's office. I actually don't know which one I'll vote for. Since the DA's office shouldn't be political, party affiliation doesn't make a difference to me in this case. I'm tempted to vote for Howe because I have a lot of respect for him and he's very well qualified, even though he's a conservative Republican.

Kline does make for good copy, as they say in the newspaper biz (do they still say that, Star friends?). But I would like a DA who is not just in it for the hefty paycheck and the political spotlight.
Last edited by ub_ on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ub_

Postby LNDofMOM on Sat May 17, 2008 8:32 am

I live in MO, so really this does not directly affect me, but it does. The longer he is in office running his own skewed agenda, the more precedence he is making for the rest of us. That is where it is getting messy, now that he has done things no one else has tried to or been able to accomplish the more precedence he is creating. I think Morrison did a wonderful job. He was tough were needed. He did want needed to be done. It is a terrible disservice to Kansas the trouble he got in. I think he would have made a wonderful AG, I suppose we will never know being that his career is over. I wonder how all that just happened to come out when it did? HUmm sounds like a little Kline bird to me.
But anyway, sure him running may, may bring more to the polls but being high profile what if it goes the wrong way and he is elected? Doesn't sound like a good bet to me.
LNDofMOM

Return to Politics