advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Polar Bears "threatened"

Re: Polar Bears "threatened"

Postby adlibby on Wed May 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Annie, I'm really sorry for the total hijack of your post. I thought we were getting past all that. It makes me sad.

It also makes me sad to think that in 50 - 100 years a lot of the animal species on this planet will be gone. Did you see the Discovery Channel's Planet Earth series? So beautiful.
if you liked that, go read my blog ;)
adlibby

Postby annieinkansas on Wed May 14, 2008 9:01 pm

Here's what I am not getting... the Interior Department, which is under the Bush administration, is the one declaring them "threatened."

Am I missing something. It's been a long day... super long. Three deaths in six months kinda long. But I am not reading that article as Bush Bashing...
annieinkansas

Postby Beckett on Wed May 14, 2008 9:17 pm

annieinkansas wrote:Today Polar Bears were declared threatened due to melting sea ice... they are still not in a "protected" class ... that will be when they are "endangered."

(edit for space)

A species is declared "threatened" under the Endangered Species Act if it is found to be at risk of becoming endangered in the foreseeable future. If it does not make progress toward recovery, it can be declared "endangered" meaning it is at risk of extinction and needs even greater protection.

Is there a list for specific protections at each level? Or is it a case-by-case basis, per species?

There were really only 12,000 total polar bears in the 1960s? Doesn't that seem like a very small number to have left of a species? Or was that considered a normal level.
***** "They're not REAL mean girls - because if they were, they'd have far better shoes." - August 2009 ****
Beckett

Postby TutusbyT on Thu May 15, 2008 12:30 am

Wow what a weird thread! Can't believe this one came off to people as controversial. Why does the crap have to start over something like this?

I hope we can do something to change the way things are going with the ice melting and depletion of the polar bears. They are truly gorgeous animals (one of my personal favorites).
Tonia
SAHM to Mischka 3/3/06
http://www.TutusbyT.com
TutusbyT

Postby Nascargirl on Thu May 15, 2008 6:12 am

Party of Seven your comment started all this and was really uncalled for!
Of course Democrats are sexy, who ever heard of a nice piece of elephant!

Melissa
Mommy to 3 kids 6 and under!
Nascargirl

Postby Nascargirl on Thu May 15, 2008 6:13 am

Save the bears, it really breaks my heart to hear how humans are causing so many animals to become extinct.
Of course Democrats are sexy, who ever heard of a nice piece of elephant!

Melissa
Mommy to 3 kids 6 and under!
Nascargirl

Postby Bubbles on Thu May 15, 2008 6:43 am

I've had some time to think, but brain is still a little foggy, got a headache.

I *think* the problem is
1) the bears are endangered b/c of their environment deteriorating due to global warming.
2)There will be no measures taken to reduce global warming just to protect the bears.

And that's just sad.

I like polar bears,but don't necessarily want to get all that close to them. I also like Coca- Cola products, which they advertise. :D

I'll investigate online a bit & see what else I can find.
Bubbles

Postby Bubbles on Thu May 15, 2008 7:26 am

Here's what I found:

on this page you can support a variety of animals/causes with your money and by writing letters to the appropriate people in the government.

http://wwf.worldwildlife.org/site/PageS ... e=can_home

On this page you can read about polar bears, adopt a polar bear (what's the home study for that one like? :D ), and read about what's been going on with their habitat.

http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/fi ... em590.html
Bubbles

Postby mamalackey on Thu May 15, 2008 7:37 am

Ladies, Thanks for doing my lesson plan for Baby Daughter's home school stuff today. Gonna send her to all the sites listed. Maybe have her write a paper. If she comes up with a gold star worthy essay I'll post--she's really brilliant, the Pink Haired One! :D
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
Edie
mamalackey

Postby akleidosty on Thu May 15, 2008 8:27 am

Bubbles wrote:I've had some time to think, but brain is still a little foggy, got a headache.

I *think* the problem is
1) the bears are endangered b/c of their environment deteriorating due to global warming.
2)There will be no measures taken to reduce global warming just to protect the bears.

Thank you, Bubbles. This is exactly the problem in a nut shell. Listing polar bears as endangered doesn't really DO anything. The problem here isn't hunting them to extinction. It is the depletion of their environment that is the problem.
Last edited by akleidosty on Thu May 15, 2008 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
The trouble with trouble is it starts out as fun. ~Naomi Judd
akleidosty

PreviousNext

Return to Politics