advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Voter IDs

Re: Voter IDs

Postby blessedx3 on Wed May 14, 2008 8:32 am

adlibby-
yes, I think so :?:

Elections are becoming a bigger and bigger issue though and I think that we have to ensure that all voters are legal and registered. Yes, I too have been to vote and just pointed out my name. I think only one place has ever asked to see i.d....I could be wrong, but I don't recall having to show it very often. Anyhow, it would be fairly easy for someone to vote under someone else's name if you do not have to prove with a photo i.d....are the registers updated when people die?...also we all know people who don't vote...it would be fairly easy for someone to use someone else's vote...and then there is always the issue of those who come on voting day and aren't registered there but maybe are somewhere else...don't they make exceptions for these people? if so, who's stopping them froom doing this all over? I just think our process is kind of pitiful and needs more safeguards. I don't think this is a Democratic or a Republican issue. I think it's just being fair. Those who would like to sway the vote one way or another can probably find many ways to do it with the system that is in place right now. Most people wouldn't go to that kind of extreme, but there are always those who would. Just think of all the other things that people will go to extremes for.
Just my thoughts...can't say I have done alot of research on the subject...just things I have noticed while voting the last many years...I would LOVE for someone to assure me that these things can't happen.
I haven't read the links provided in previous posts yet...but I plan to today
blessedx3

Postby adlibby on Wed May 14, 2008 8:53 am

There is a series on CSPAN called 'America and the Courts' and they were talking about this a few weeks ago. An industrious person might be able to find it on the web, but anyway they were saying that not a single case of election fraud by a person impersonating a legitimate voter has been prosecuted in years. They suggested that people are trying to create an issue where one doesn't really exist.

Voter registration is not perfect. That should be looked at carefully. But typically you do have to show several forms of id when you register to vote. Most people don't remember because they registered when they got their drivers license.

I have been a registered voter in 3 different states (NO! Not at the same time! :lol: ) and I had to provide documents proving who I was and what my current residence was. It would be fairly hard to fake that I think.

And certainly it would seem in the age of electronics that should be a better way. But where there is a computer program... there is a hacker trying to beat the system. I wonder if this wouldn't create even more skepticism than the whole Florida recount/hanging chad thing.
if you liked that, go read my blog ;)
adlibby

Postby blessedx3 on Wed May 14, 2008 11:17 am

adlibby wrote:There is a series on CSPAN called 'America and the Courts' and they were talking about this a few weeks ago. An industrious person might be able to find it on the web, but anyway they were saying that not a single case of election fraud by a person impersonating a legitimate voter has been prosecuted in years. They suggested that people are trying to create an issue where one doesn't really exist.

Obviously just because people aren't being prosecuted, doesn't mean it's not happening...just pointing that out.

Honestly, I don't know...I am getting ready to read all the links that have been posted on the subject now...
blessedx3

Postby adlibby on Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 pm

true enough... but how big a problem can it really be?

I'm gonna have to google and see if I can find what the average cost is to bring a case before the Supreme Court. Seems like a ginormous waste of tax dollars to me.
adlibby

Postby epv5 on Fri May 16, 2008 1:29 pm

I was listening to talk about this today on , I believe it was, Up To Date w/ Steve Kratzke on KCUR. The person he was interviewing was some big muckety-muck (boy, I sounded like one of my garndparents there for a minute) from Missouri and she mentioned a case of someone that had moved to Missouri after losing everything in Hurrican Katrina, including her birth certificate and has not been able to get thru the beauracratic red tape in Louisiana to get another one, which would leave her unable to prove her identity and vote. Interesting stuff. Our right to vote is constitutionally protected and it will be a sad, sad day in our country if even one citizen who wants to vote is denied. In many European (and other) countries, each citizen is given an ID card at birth and it follows them their entire life; perhaps that's not a bad idea? I won't point any left/right fingers in this debate, but I think it's directed to illegal immigrants, Spanish-speaking specifically, This is just my opinion, I'll readily admit that.
epv5

Postby blessedx3 on Fri May 16, 2008 1:39 pm

erinpaigevaughn wrote: I won't point any left/right fingers in this debate, but I think it's directed to illegal immigrants, Spanish-speaking specifically, This is just my opinion, I'll readily admit that.

Point away...
I admit it is illegal immigrants that might vote illegally that concern me. They are here illegally and should not be able to find a way to vote. As for language...I could care less what language they speak. I don't want an illegal from Iraq, Mexico, Germany, China, etc. voting in an American election....I promise I won't try to vote in theirs either ;)
blessedx3

Postby adlibby on Fri May 16, 2008 2:02 pm

Erin -- not having the documentation necessary to get a picture ID is a problem for a lot of senior citizens too. I forget exactly what the number was that the AARP said -- but it was significant. Elderly people from smaller, rural towns where recordkeeping was careless or fires had destroyed records had an especially hard time.
adlibby

Postby blessedx3 on Fri May 16, 2008 2:20 pm

So can't our tech savvy civilization find a way to make sure each and every legal citizen of the United States gets a picture i.d.?...old, young, crippled, democrat, republican, liberal, conservative, liberative?
blessedx3

Postby epv5 on Fri May 16, 2008 2:28 pm

Honestly, I'm not pointing fingers because I think it goes beyond left/right, not because I'm trying to call out anyone here. I agree that only citizens should vote in our elections, I'm just afraid that if this Voter ID act passes and doesn't include some reform in regards to how to deal w/ the ederly, poor,etc that may not have an ID, it will be like throwing the baby out w/ the bath water.
epv5

Postby adlibby on Fri May 16, 2008 2:31 pm

blessedx3 wrote:So can't our tech savvy civilization find a way to make sure each and every legal citizen of the United States gets a picture i.d.?...old, young, crippled, democrat, republican, liberal, conservative, liberative?

It would seem so... they find us when they want our taxes! :roll: Let's put the IRS on it!
adlibby

Previous

Return to Politics