advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Voter IDs

Re: Voter IDs

Postby sahmiam43 on Tue May 13, 2008 2:37 pm

Not jumping here-- I really don't know the issues at play. It sounds like a simple one but- ah, we all know better.

Very interesting points you bring up, Adlibby. I'm still watching the thread for the other side.
DD- 16
DS-14
DS-7

But wait! There's more! For the low price of a clickity click click,click...
http://thehistorychicks.com/
http://sahmiam43.blogspot.com
sahmiam43

Postby adlibby on Tue May 13, 2008 3:17 pm

Me too Susan. If there's more to it... I'd really like to know and try and understand the issue.

I'm not against people having to show ID to vote -- I think it's important to keep people from trying to "Vote early & Vote often". But I also think that the current requirements cover that. Currently you must show a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, or a government document with your name and address on it. That seems sufficient to me.
if you liked that, go read my blog ;)
adlibby

Postby blessedx3 on Tue May 13, 2008 3:22 pm

I guess my issue would be that you should be a citizen of the United States to vote. I think each voter should be registered in ONE place and there should be safeguards in line to ensure that each voter votes once and that they are all legal voters. I understand that all the time and paperwork is probably a legal nightmare and I wouldn't want to be in charge of it, however, if we can find a way to have this message instantly pop up in Susan's email because she checked the box, or put a man on the moon, or build a bridge that is a mile long and won't collapse in an earthquake, I think they can figure out how to make the voting process a legal and fair process.
blessedx3

Postby adlibby on Tue May 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Blessed -- fair point. But since you have to register to vote -- doesn't that take care of the requirement of citizenship?

That's an honest question. No tone. :)
adlibby

Postby akleidosty on Tue May 13, 2008 3:27 pm

OK. So I took your advice, Susan, and started trying to find the other side of the issue. What did I find? Sadly, not a lot. Most of what I have come across is reasons why there SHOULDN"T be ID required to vote.

A good example:
http://www.theweekdaily.com/news_opinion/top_stories/40341/voter_id_stopping_fraud_or_stopping_democrats.html

What this article claims is that voter ID is basically a Republican scam to limit the voting rights of Democrats. I DID NOT SAY THAT. THE ARTICLE DID. PEACE SISTAS!!!!

So, I will keep looking...
The trouble with trouble is it starts out as fun. ~Naomi Judd
akleidosty

Re: Voter Picture IDs

Postby adlibby on Tue May 13, 2008 4:33 pm

Here's another that cites two Supreme Court Justices with differing opinions:
http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_9103880:
adlibby

Postby kidlit_kim on Tue May 13, 2008 9:07 pm

Interesting. Shows what I know. I always assumed a person had to have ID to vote! I just automatically pull out my license, and then point to my hubby's name. "Yeah, right there I am. I'm with him."

I don't remember what I did to become registered. I'm really reaching here, but what if someone moved and still wanted to vote elsewhere. Would they be able to use a current ID and vote at their new place of residence and an old piece of mail and vote at the old place? They might be on both rosters, maybe??? Or what if a person used a deceased relative's mail to vote in that person's place? I doubt that would happen enough to affect an election though.

Okay, that's the best I have for any evil intent someone may have. I guess I don't get what all the fuss is about for needing govt. issued IDs.
kidlit_kim

Postby cnnplus5 on Tue May 13, 2008 9:22 pm

I agree, some sort of free "Voter ID" should be issued that cannot be used for anything but voting.

I've never thought too much about this - you make a good point hotmomma but adlibby has a good point too - if we are registered to vote why do we need an ID? Maybe they could make a free photo ID card available for those who don't have DL at the time of voting? I don't mind showing my DL - don't want anyone taking my vote :)
Love the Birch tree - a favorite of mine in New England fall scenery
http://www.thebestclean.vpweb.com
cnnplus5

Postby sahmiam43 on Wed May 14, 2008 7:33 am

I have a voter id card-- it's a cheesy piece of paper but it says I am a registered voter. No picture. You have to register to vote. That is where the list comes from that you point to your name and say, yeah, that's me. You register ( I think) when you get your DL, or if you stop at a table set up outside the grocery store that says " REGISTER TO VOTE".. and I'm pretty sure there are other ways but that is all I've ever seen. Even people with no DL or passport or extra funds have to register to vote. I have yet to see any credible evidence that voter fraud is a major issue. ( although I have not looked too hard, I must admit). It might be a ploy by the Republicans but this is not an invite to point out other vote getting games by the Republican party. My guess is the democrats have games too.

So, yeah--I agree: if you have to register to vote anyway why not have that cheesy card become a cheesy card with your picture on it? Blessed makes a point, technology has come a long way and it honestly can't be that hard. A couple of weeks ago I went to a school dance and had my pic taken with my kids-- 5th graders had those pictures printed out within 5 minutes for me FOR A BUCK ( and it was a fundraiser so it must be much cheaper). SO I guess the painfully obvious question is this: Is our government smarter than a 5th grader?
DD- 16
DS-14
DS-7

But wait! There's more! For the low price of a clickity click click,click...
http://thehistorychicks.com/
http://sahmiam43.blogspot.com
sahmiam43

Postby jeng on Wed May 14, 2008 7:55 am

Until I moved out of TX, I didn't know you could vote without ID. When I vote there, you either need your voter card or photo ID to prove that you are that person on the list. So for me, that was just the way it was. I can see both sides of this and someone mentioned the state making ID cards free. I think that could be a possible solution (of course, there is that pesky cost issue), but it would mean everyone could get an ID.

I do think that in this day and age, we are obsessed with proving who we are and tracking everyone. Not saying that is good or bad, just the state of things right now. Like when we wanted to visit Canada and it was like this HUGE issue to get there because we had to have birth certificates for the kids and for ourselves, but DH's birth certificate is useless because it says he was born somewhere else, and his military ID doesn't prove he's a citizen, so he needed his original naturalization papers, which we would have to find, and so on. So we didn't go. Too much hassle. That is just the way the world is now, I guess.
jeng

Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
jeng

PreviousNext

Return to Politics