advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Voter IDs

Voter IDs

Postby akleidosty on Tue May 13, 2008 8:30 am

More and more states, including Missouri, are moving toward requiring a government issued photo ID to be shown before we vote.

Frankly, I don't really understand why people are opposed to this. I know, I know, Big Brother and all that... I guess my point is if you have nothing to hide, why should you care if Big Brother is watching?

Is there more to this than I am getting?
The trouble with trouble is it starts out as fun. ~Naomi Judd
akleidosty

Re: Voter IDs

Postby blessedx3 on Tue May 13, 2008 8:38 am

I agree. I always assumed that was the way it worked anyhow. How else do we make sure that voters are citizens?
blessedx3

Postby adlibby on Tue May 13, 2008 10:31 am

There was a great editorial on this topic in the Star yesterday. Maybe somebody more tech-savy than me could post it here?
The issue is access. The elderly and the very poor often don't have picture IDs. And shouldn't they have the right to cast a ballot too?
if you liked that, go read my blog ;)
adlibby

Postby LindseyLou on Tue May 13, 2008 10:44 am

AdLibby brings up a good point. My grandmother no longer drives, and has let her drivers license expire. The only reason she would need to get a KS ID is to vote. I know they are only 10 bucks, but 10 bucks to a sweet grandma on a fixed income is a lot, and I think they only last for 5 years (don't quote me on this), which means she would have to have a new ID each voter year (if I were correct in my assumption). She should be given the right to vote like any other person, but that is a lot of hoops to jump through for a sweet little 90 year old lady.
Mom to Samuel and Sloane
LindseyLou

Postby blessedx3 on Tue May 13, 2008 11:03 am

I understand the difficulties associated with getting a DL. Maybe the issue then should be to make it easier and free to get a government issued photo i.d. Yes, all citizens should be allowed to vote.
blessedx3

Postby mim'smom on Tue May 13, 2008 11:45 am

I just thought you had to show id to prove who you were, ya know checks and balances, and to make sure you weren't stealing votes so to speak.
Katie
Mom to Marin
mim'smom

Postby hotmomma on Tue May 13, 2008 2:06 pm

I don't have a problem with people having to show ID to vote. However, I do see the catch of those who do not have ID's. I agree, some sort of free "Voter ID" should be issued that cannot be used for anything but voting.
No one can make something untrue simply by choosing not to believe it. ~ Dr. David Jeremiah

Telling a woman what to do in her own home is like trying to baptize a cat. ~ Phil McGraw

A gun carrying Christian is a Christian criminals should fear. ~ Amy Pinson, NRA member
hotmomma

Postby sahmiam43 on Tue May 13, 2008 2:09 pm

Did you get the phone call on this issue recently? I got one last night -- urging me to call my ( some govt official) and tell her that this bill should not be passed. The arguements against it were primarily what has been stated :that those on fix incomes, the elderly without a drivers license or passport ( not too manay people who don't travel have these), people in urban areas who rely on public transportation and don't need a DL-- they would be the ones who had to take extra steps ( and money from their pockets) to get a government ID just to vote. Makes sense .. BUT I have not seen the other side yet-- why do this in the first place? To make sure people voting are who they say they are and not just someone who got ahold of a voters ID card. Why not have picture voters ID cards.. cost, right. I have not heard or seen ( or had the time to look up) enough arguements that support the picture ID legislation. So I'm watchign this thread before I make that call.
DD- 16
DS-14
DS-7

But wait! There's more! For the low price of a clickity click click,click...
http://thehistorychicks.com/
http://sahmiam43.blogspot.com
sahmiam43

Postby adlibby on Tue May 13, 2008 2:17 pm

Well... not trying to pick a partisan fight here... please don't jump me... but I'm guessing some people are thinking this, so here goes.

The first argument is voter fraud, which Republicans promote as a real issue, and Dems sort of view as myth. There's not a lot of strong data to support it.

The second argument is that poor tend to rely on social programs which are typically supported by the Dems. And the poor tend to be a heavily African American population, also known for voting for Dems. One line of reasoning goes that the Republicans are trying to block out this group of voters because they know that they will typically vote for Dems.

I'm not saying that this is fact, it's just part of the dialogue.

If anyone has another other arguments for Voter ID -- I'd love to hear them. I promise to play nice.
if you liked that, go read my blog ;)
adlibby

Postby risarenee on Tue May 13, 2008 2:31 pm

adlibby wrote: I promise to play nice.

Ha! I've heard that one before! Don't be coming here for political issues! This is a mom's board...no one wants to hear it.
risarenee

Location: under the crinkled table eating a stick of butter hoping the girls at the other table can't see me

Next

Return to Politics