advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

53 illegal immigrants held captive.

53 illegal immigrants held captive.

Postby vengholm on Mon May 12, 2008 8:11 am

Remember back when the Minute Men were in town and I posted something letting everyone know that a fairly large group of us were protesting? Rather than re-hash, you can just read it here: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=812#p5578

Anyway, point of the story, is that illegal immigrants are in the news again. Seems five smugglers decided to kidnap 53 immigrants attempting to cross the border. But rather than try to uphold some greater cause, these smugglers were only interested in one thing: more money.

Read the article here:
http://rawstory.com/news/2008/53_illega ... _0512.html

Many of you in the past had wondered why I was so in favor of looser immigration laws and why I felt that the Minute Men, while their mission may have had good intentions, was wrong.

This is why. It breeds racism, even that was not the intent. And it causes people, human beings, to be seen and treated like animals. If it was easier for these people to come over here, then maybe they wouldn't need to be exploited by smugglers, or anyone else (remember the story of Wal-Mart and how they hired "volunteers" to bag groceries for no pay?).

Many of these illegal immigrants were women and children. And perhaps the saddest thing is that the smugglers were Mexican residents themselves. Where's the sympathy? Where's the empathy? In this story, there isn't any.

(Yeah, I know y'all are gonna disagree. Fire away.)
"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours." - Swedish Proverb
vengholm

Re: 53 illegal immigrants held captive.

Postby akleidosty on Mon May 12, 2008 8:33 am

I wasn't around for the original discussion on this topic, but what I will say is that I agree with Vkitty.

I am in favor of looser immigration laws. If it were easier for someone to become a citizen of this country, we would have a lot fewer people stealing identities, not paying taxes, not needing assistance from social services, etc.

I think, by and large, a majority of these immigrants would like to become citizens and rely less on illegal methods for staying in the country.

That would make employers more honest, too. They would have to pay a fair wage and stop taking advantage of people desperate enough not to care they are being taken advantage of!

JMO.
The trouble with trouble is it starts out as fun. ~Naomi Judd
akleidosty

Postby LNDofMOM on Mon May 12, 2008 10:25 am

I agree also, i live in and near a community with a lot of lets say manual migrant farming jobs. I know that a majority of these jobs are held by law abiding (other than being her illegally) oxymoron right, hard working, immigrant families. Some are here illegally and some I am sure are not. I have no problem with anyone who wants to come to our wonderful country and work like the rest of us. I feel they have that right and should have the chance to better their lives and families. I do however have a problem with the select few that come to this area to lie cheat and steal. We have (not me) had livestock stolen, houses stolen from, trash illegally dumped and just a lot of bad behavior by some.
So if they want to come work and be good citizens come on up, but those that wish to cause problems should be dealt with.
LNDofMOM

Postby swissmom on Mon May 12, 2008 10:45 am

It would appear to be a "no-brainer", but I needn't go there. The hauling and "kenneling" of human being across the border is enough to make you vomit. It's just unreal. I worked at the Marjorie Kovler center in Chicago, which dealt with some of this even 11 years ago and it's so much worse now becasue of the immigration laws. We all just sat in one of the offices in silence when the first law of deportation was passed in 1996. (I came back from India for one year and worked under a grant for IRSA in Chicago. Best job I ever had. ) We were just in a state of defeat and shock. Sometimes it's just mind blowing what your neighbors will choose to overlook and how you can see their lives just "puckering up" with fear of the outside world (i.e. immigrants from anywhere, but especialy our brothers and sisters in a spanish speaking culture).
My babies babies...
swissmom

Postby risarenee on Tue May 13, 2008 2:59 pm

Val, no one wants to hear about your crappy passions in life. This is a mom's board, and I want to talk about mom stuff. So, just stop.
risarenee

Location: under the crinkled table eating a stick of butter hoping the girls at the other table can't see me

Postby ub_ on Tue May 13, 2008 5:44 pm

risarenee wrote:Val, no one wants to hear about your crappy passions in life. This is a mom's board, and I want to talk about mom stuff. So, just stop.

Is something else going on here?

This is the "Politics" board of Mom2Mom. Some moms are interested in politics, just like some moms are interested in scrapbooking, gardening and fashion. If you aren't interested in politics, you don't have to read posts here.

I don't think Val's passions are 'crappy' at all. I love reading Val's posts and I love reading Becki's posts. They may have differences, but they both are great people.
ub_

Postby annieinkansas on Wed May 14, 2008 5:08 pm

UB... Marissa was just being sarcastic. She loves Val and her posts. It was friendly ribbing.
annieinkansas

Postby ub_ on Wed May 14, 2008 6:06 pm

I finally figured that out, after I saw her post it in a bunch of other places. (Okay, and somebody told me in a PM). :oops:
ub_

Return to Politics