advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

What has W done right?

Re: What has W done right?

Postby vengholm on Thu May 08, 2008 5:40 pm

hotmomma wrote:Well, it is, afterall, a country founded on Christianity.

Actually, our founding fathers were religiously diverse:
http://www.adherents.com/gov/Founding_F ... igion.html

The term "God" I believe was used loosely, and it was important to them that all denominations be given equal rights. There were no Buddhists, Hindus, Wiccans, or Pagans here at the time (at least that were open about it), otherwise I'm sure the term "God" would have been used in a different way.

Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson were Deists:
http://www.deism.com/

Thomas Jefferson and Robert Paine were Universalists:
http://www.uua.org/

So, really our country has a strong foundation in religious freedom. And as my bumper sticker that someone rudely ripped off of my car as it was parked at Oak Park Mall used to say, "Freedom Of Religion Means EVERY Religion".

It'd be different if those religions broke the law. Animal sacrifices, for instance! But I feel that including God in our government would be excluding the interests of the population that does not believe in God. The founding fathers also wanted a separation of church and state, and freedom of religion.

When's a Muslim gonna run for office? That'd be awesome.
hotmomma wrote: It would only make sense to put God into the public.

Isn't He already in the public? Way more public than Pagans, for instance, who often have to hide who they are because they might get their bumper stickers torn off their cars, or beaten nearly to death by fanatics (ok, this actually happened to a friend of mine. I only bring it up here because I wanted to express the importance of religious tolerance. I don't think anyone here would beat anyone up for being Pagan, but it happens).

Ok, sorry for that downer. Anyway... thanks for reading.
"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours." - Swedish Proverb
vengholm

Postby the4moores on Thu May 08, 2008 6:51 pm

hotmomma wrote:
the4moores wrote:
hotmomma wrote:As an aside, I don't think anyone on here is griping, you can share your opinions of the man all you want, doesn't bother me any. (I'm with Oprah anyway.) I'm speaking of those who are the big talking know it alls who think they know everything that has gone through the white house and could have done it better.

I haven't met anyone like what you've described on this site.

That's what I said in the first line of the paragraph.

Whoops, sorry, I thought you were differentiating between griping (no one here) and the know it alls (here?, not here? who are they?).
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth."
-- Albert Einstein
the4moores

Postby the4moores on Thu May 08, 2008 7:26 pm

frizzed wrote:So many fights & disagreements over someone who will be out of office in a few short months - silly and stupid. This board and the cronyism and the "things he did wrong" board would make a whole lot more sense if he was up for reelection but he's not. It's over, he's gone, you are glad and do the happy dance.

*sigh, see that's the thing about cronyism. The people ushered in under false pretenses are still around long after the man leaves office. We'll still have...EPA which distorts the findings of the scientists who work for it. FDA who caters to industry instead of the health and wealfare of the people. CDC which has been mismanaged and has serious conflicts of interest.
I could go on and on.
frizzed wrote:Too much energy has been spent and there have been way too stupid fights & disagreements over things that you cannot change.

I beg to differ on your opinion that we cannot bring about change. By sharing information and knowledge of what's going on one can choose to take action, such as contacting one's representatives in Washington. The more people who band together have a larger chance to let their voices be heard. Which is why I seek out organizations and people who do just that on any given issue. I think it's called activism.
frizzed wrote:Work and focus your energy on the things that YOU can do to change. I constantly instill in my boys, do not worry about the past and the things you cannot change. Learn from it and MOVE ON!

First you say that he's only around for a few more months (present tense) Then you say don't worry about the past.
I can only politely say that I totally disagree with your prognosis and perception of the situation. This is our government. I like to participate in it more than just voting.
frizzed wrote:I don't get too worked up either way over these topics because I can't change the facts and there is nothing I can do about the past. What I can do is be informed on the NEXT president of the United States and determine who I am going to vote for in November.

what? until they do something you don't agree with and then you go back to saying "we can't change it" so move on !

Take the example of Lurita Doan for example.
viewtopic.php?f=123&t=2274&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10#p22792
There are organizations who investigate and file freedom of information requests and then make an issue known.

"Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."-- Saint Francis of Assisi
-- Albert Einstein
the4moores

Postby mighty on Thu May 08, 2008 7:41 pm

I hope I didn't hit a nerve with anyone when I started this thread. All I want to know is the good things that W has done as president. And yes, I did say he's a lame duck president. As for the future, his actions will color the Republican party, for good or for bad, in the upcoming elections.

Clinton, McCain and Obama discussions would be another thread. Religion and politics is also another thread. If we've run out the "what has W done" idea, then it's time for more thread(s). Any takers?
mighty

Postby the4moores on Fri May 09, 2008 12:38 pm

I'm surprised more of Bush's supporters didn't post anything positive as I was curious as to what they thought his good accomplishments were. I noticed several of his fiercest critics found positive things to say.
-- Albert Einstein
the4moores

Postby valeho on Wed May 14, 2008 2:42 pm

Makes total sense, and very valid points. I just get tired of all the griping people do (not just with the president, but with church, school, scouts, etc.) about the job others are doing. Well, you know what? If you don't like it, than you do it!

We can't be president!! We aren't millionaires and most certainly aren't shysters! At least I'm not.... :lol:
Be more concerned about your character than your reputation. Your reputation is what others perceive about you...your character is who you really are!
valeho

Postby Nascargirl on Thu May 15, 2008 6:15 am

Amen to that!
Of course Democrats are sexy, who ever heard of a nice piece of elephant!

Melissa
Mommy to 3 kids 6 and under!
Nascargirl

Previous

Return to Politics