advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

What has W done right?

Re: What has W done right?

Postby swissmom on Thu May 08, 2008 9:47 am

I would like to believe that Georgie Girl didn't know about 9/11 on 9/10. As much as I think he's a fleabag and in need of a few days naked in a wet cell....I have always defended the theory that the look on his face in that classroom was of total fear and the realization that "oh my god, I'm the "go to" guy on this, but I'm not qualified, and if the bad guys get "my guys" who tell me what to do, everyone will know that I have no answers, suggestions, or intelligence". I think he thought the part of the job (of being president) that he is responsible for was going quite beautifully as the outloud reader of Dr. Seuss books to kids while flashbulbs were going off. "Under attack...huh?"
But as time has gone on I reflect on the proof that he is a deeply disconnected and deceiptful human being. If his presidency was actually 2nd grade, he'd be in counseling at the recommendation of all the adults around him. Sociapathic tendencies. It's the disconnect. It's not even the lying bits, or the stupid bits, it's his ability to disconnect from what he's doing and to go forward without a moral compass. And he's a woos. No backbone. No nothin'. He's an empty friggin' vessel who has ruined our nation, and we still have people defending him. That's the scariest part of all to me. Where are these people who think what he has done is okay? Where are you guys who had so much to post before you ran out of things to say on your short list? To me, you represent the bigger problem...which is no backbone in civilian clothes. We all have the power to see what's going on in our world, and if we believe it's okay, then we should stand for it. Speak up. Support yourself. I feel like everybody went into hiding because you can't defend him anymore, and you're afraid to admit that maybe, just maybe, he's a cockroach. I don't dislike people who like George Bush. What kind of a person would I be if I disliked individuals because they don't like George Bush? There is a WHOLE LIFE TO APPRECIATE in a person besides who they vote for. But I do dislike individuals who spout off overheard rhetoric, judge others BASED on that rhetoric, and can't even reply when asked to give ONE solid support to that rhetoric. That makes you the scary part of the democracy we live in when you have no idea why you vote for someone or why you stand beside them...or even worse, you know why (or at least it makes sense to YOU) but don't feel like you have to "defend" who you vote for. I would think you would want to defend someone you believe in, unless you don't really believe and just do what you're told? Would you defend your friend if she was being bullied in church by a group of her peers based on gossip? What's the diff? We're repeating what we've read and heard about George, and judging him, and publicly bashing him. Would you defend a muslim woman being assaulted in your neighborhood? Just curious. What's the difference? Uh oh, confused? What is UP with that? Why do you disappear when the heat is on?
Last edited by swissmom on Thu May 08, 2008 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
My babies babies...
swissmom

Postby akleidosty on Thu May 08, 2008 9:49 am

OK. Someone needs to stand up for the man. So here are his major accomplishments during office:

(cue crickets chirping...)
The trouble with trouble is it starts out as fun. ~Naomi Judd
akleidosty

Postby the4moores on Thu May 08, 2008 10:04 am

I can name something W has done right.

Recently, it was reported that Lurita Doan, embattled head of the General Services Administration, was forced to resign by the White House.
Doan was appointed GSA Administrator in May 2006 with a high-ranking agency appointment that reeked of cronyism.
http://pogoblog.typepad.com/pogo/2006/0 ... ntrac.html
Months later, we learned of her dislike for inspectors general, whom she reportedly compared to terrorists.
http://pogoblog.typepad.com/pogo/2006/1 ... urita.html

Things really started going downhill for Doan in 2007 with allegations of procurement improprieties
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01867.html
and an Office of Special Counsel determination that she violated the Hatch Act
http://oversight.house.gov/documents/20070530160300.pdf
by improperly using GSA resources to help elect Republicans. Doan's March 2007 appearance before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee
http://thinkprogress.org/2007/03/28/lur ... kies-doan/
bordered on the absurd, with repeated claims of having "no recollection" of the meeting at which the Hatch Act violation occurred, except that there were "cookies on the table." Her performance at that and a subsequent hearing, combined with allegations that Doan tried to intimidate employees who were cooperating with the Committee's investigation, led an exasperated Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) to call for her resignation:

watch the video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_upfWugI4hU
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth."
-- Albert Einstein
the4moores

Postby the4moores on Thu May 08, 2008 10:12 am

Hey, I thought of another thing W has done right. He got rid of Donald Rumsfeld !
Bush Ousts Embattled Rumsfeld
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01180.html

While I think Rumsfeld totally botched the war, I hadn't realized the reason behind he ousting.... he was against "The Surge"

Investigative journalist Robert Perry reported that Bush had asked Rumsfeld to resign because he disagreed with Bush's "surge" plan to escalate the war in Iraq, and had suggested in his November 6, 2006 memorandum to the president considering “an accelerated drawdown of U.S. bases" and withdrawal of U.S. troops from their vulnerable locations
-- Albert Einstein
the4moores

Postby the4moores on Thu May 08, 2008 10:14 am

akleidosty wrote:OK. Someone needs to stand up for the man. So here are his major accomplishments during office:

(cue crickets chirping...)

I came up with a few...
btw: I really like your sig.
-- Albert Einstein
the4moores

Postby swissmom on Thu May 08, 2008 10:38 am

I actually, not in jest, can think of a few things that he has done that required a soul.
He is a recovering alcoholic. I am not a recovering alcoholic, or an alcoholic, and having said that I have no idea what kind of personal strength it takes to stop when you have to. Seriously, I admire anyone on a personal level who manages to identify and save their own life when alchohol is destroying it.
I also read somewhere once that he was a great emotional support to his mom when his sister died when they were kids. He was the closest of all siblings in age to his sister, and he was personally devastated by that loss, and he went to comfort his mom and continued to do so through her grief. I don't think that's "Bush Propoganda" to tell the world how wonderful he is....I think bad presidents can be wonderful sons and citizens. I don't want bad things for George, I just want him to go get his tractor store, and stop polluting my kids adult life.
My babies babies...
swissmom

Postby the4moores on Thu May 08, 2008 10:48 am

Here are 15 things I think W has done right, which I hope most of us can agree with.

1. Requires states to conduct criminal background checks on prospective foster and adoptive parents.

2. Requires districts to let students transfer out of dangerous schools.

3. Requires schools to have a zero-tolerance policy for classroom disruption (reintroducing discipline into classrooms).

4. Signed the Teacher Protection Act, which protects teachers from lawsuits related to student discipline.

5. Provided $20 million to states to help people with disabilities work from home.

6. Created a fund to encourage technologies that help the disabled.

7. Increased the annual contribution limit on Education IRA's from $500 to $2,000 per child.

8. Make permanent the $5,000 adoption tax credit and provide $1 billion over five years to increase the credit to $10,000.

9. Grant a complete tax exemption for prepaid or college tuition savings plans.

10. Part of the coalition for an Israeli/Palestinian "Roadmap to Peace," along with Great Britain, Russia and the EU.

11. Pushed through THREE raises for our military. Increased military pay by more than $1 billion a year.

12. Signed the LARGEST nuclear arms reduction in world history with Russia.

13. Started withdrawing our troops from Bosnia, and has announced withdrawal of our troops from Germany and the Korean DMZ.

14. Double the research budget of the National Institutes of Health.

15. Increased funding for low-interest loan programs to help people with disabilities purchase devices to assist them.

--and my personal favorite.....

Endorses and promotes "The Responsibility Era." President Bush often speaks of the necessity of personal responsibility and civic volunteerism. He said, "In a compassionate society, people respect one another and take responsibility for the decisions they make in life. My hope is to change the culture from one that has said, if it feels good, do it; if you've got a problem, blame somebody else — to one in which every single American understands that he or she is responsible for the decisions that you make; you're responsible for loving your children with all your heart and all your soul; you're responsible for being involved with the quality of the education of your children; you're responsible for making sure the community in which you live is safe; you're responsible for loving your neighbor, just like you would like to be loved yourself."

I think this is a great statement, no matter who said it.
-- Albert Einstein
the4moores

Postby hotmomma on Thu May 08, 2008 11:13 am

He prayed for us.

How often do you find a man in power pray for his people. That's comforting to me.

Personally, I'm not going to gripe about the job a someone does unless I'm willing to do it myself.
No one can make something untrue simply by choosing not to believe it. ~ Dr. David Jeremiah

Telling a woman what to do in her own home is like trying to baptize a cat. ~ Phil McGraw

A gun carrying Christian is a Christian criminals should fear. ~ Amy Pinson, NRA member
hotmomma

Postby swissmom on Thu May 08, 2008 11:20 am

I love that statement TOO! No matter who said it, but George said it, and kudos to him. I was just thinking about a while back when the kids asked me about George Bush and if I "liked him". I told them that I didn't agree with a lot of his decisions, but that as a person I didn't know him, and as a president I will respect his position. It was a tough one, but in the end an easy one. The position of "The Presidency" should be respected. If we don't like the decisions that the president makes, we should say so in a respectful forum to promote change. Hangin' with my friends around the table and talking about him is one thing, but in the public forum, if you don't show respect, people will only hear your tone, and not your words. That works for everything, buy I'm not so arrogant as to think I apply it often enough (def. RARELY). That is my definintion to my kids of the beauty of democracy. If we don't like the way things are headed, we CAN voice dissent and request a change. That doesn't mean personal hate, or dislike, or that you're being "mean". It means that you support democracy in YOUR country, and how it works if used properly. I think these times in our country are a perfect time to point that out to the kiddos. Although the older ones may wonder why George is still there when he has done so much damage. If they know the damage. of course. That conversation with my kids ended with the kids asking me if I would let him come to our house for dinner if they invited him. I said yes, and reminded them that people we disagree with SHOULD be in our lives, and could be our friends. They wrote a letter, and we got no response. I still have the address I looked up as the place to send the letter somewhere around here. Just because we moms rant sometimes about politics doesn't mean we're crazy bitches yelling from our front porches. This is a moms site, and as a mom, the world and it's issues are important....and raising children is directly related. That's why I feel free to talk politics here. But I'm still a mom, who knows that the day to day issues of being a good mom, homework, packin' a lunch, hugs, listening, and a free gift in the mail for mom are just as important. Just wanted to say that outloud.
My babies babies...
swissmom

Postby tgmomof4 on Thu May 08, 2008 11:23 am

the4moores wrote:Here are 15 things I think W has done right, which I hope most of us can agree with.

Unfortunately the only ones now who will probably read this are the liberals and independents because that's how "we" are being labeled around here and anything from now on that "we" discuss more than likely won't be viewed by "conservatives" (as they have also been labeled) because some people will no longer read these threads due to the fact that they think "we" are purposely trying to start our own little war with each other here. I'm not trying to piss anyone off by my comments. They are my opinions and I have every damned right to them. I don't post comments on my opinions to purposely piss someone off. I do it because I want to voice my opinions and a good, educational debate is great sometimes. It's not a personal attack on anyone, it's just stating your own opinion. Maybe we need to have sections for just the "conservatives" and just for the "liberals", enter each at your own risk! It's no secret that I think GWB is a HORRIBLE president. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to that opinion! I think it's wonderful that you did point out the good things GWB has done. I also think that he's a good father and probably has a wonderful sense of humor as a father with his girls. I also would like to add that I think I would like him as just GWB, an everyday person. If he would never had been president and I met him I'd probably think, "wow, what a pleasant and funny guy!" I like him as a person away from his role and duty, but as the president.... well, you already know what I think.
We'll be friends until we're old and senile...... then we'll be new friends!
tgmomof4

PreviousNext

Return to Politics