advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Cronyism

Cronyism

Postby the4moores on Wed May 07, 2008 9:07 am

Cronyism - the practice of favoring one's close friends, esp. in political appointments.

I would say the following stories fit that description and we can partly attribute the incompitence and partisanship of our government to these appointments. Putting inexperienced friends in senior positions of power in not acceptable and can have dire consequences.

Slate’s Dahlia Lithwick noted a tidbit that the rest of us missed: TV preacher Pat Robertson’s Regent University boasts that 150 of its graduates, including former top DoJ aide Monica Goodling, are serving in some capacity in the Bush administration. Lithwick noted that this is “a huge number for a 29-year-old school.” That’s certainly true; it’s also a huge number for a small right-wing college led by a radical televangelist who believes Americans brought 9/11 upon themselves.
Who's the Boss?
How Pat Robertson's law school is changing America.

http://www.slate.com/id/2163601/

Former Attorney General John Ashcroft teaches at Regent, and inexperienced graduates have achieved senior positions in the Bush administration. The express goal is not only to tear down the wall between church and state in America (a "lie of the left," according to Robertson) but also to enmesh the two.
Monica Goodling, One of 150 Pat Robertson Cadres in the Bush Administration
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-blume ... 44588.html

Under Ashcroft, career lawyers were systematically fired or forced out and replaced by members of conservative or Christian groups or folks with no civil rights experience. In the five years after 2001, the civil rights division brought no voting cases on behalf of African-Americans. It brought one employment case on behalf of an African-American. Instead, the division took up the "civil rights" abuses of reverse discrimination.
Civil rights hiring shifted in Bush era
Conservative leanings stressed

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washi ... _bush_era/

HURRICANE KATRINA
"FEMA's top three leaders -- Director Michael D. Brown, Chief of Staff Patrick J. Rhode and Deputy Chief of Staff Brooks D. Altshuler -- arrived with ties to President Bush's 2000 campaign or to the White House advance operation, according to the agency. Two other senior operational jobs are filled by a former Republican lieutenant governor of Nebraska and a U.S. Chamber of Commerce official who was once a political operative."
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti ... competence

But what we really should be asking is whether FEMA's decline and fall is unique, or part of a larger pattern. What other government functions have been crippled by politicization, cronyism and/or the departure of experienced professionals? How many FEMA's are there?
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/12/opini ... ref=slogin
Environmental Protection Agency: "has seen a major exodus of experienced officials over the past few years. In particular, senior officials have left in protest over what they say is the Bush administration's unwillingness to enforce environmental law." According to Hugh Kaufman, "a senior policy analyst in the agency's Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response, ... 'The budget has been cut ... and inept political hacks have been put in key positions.'"
Food and Drug Administration: "Serious questions have been raised about the agency's coziness with drug companies, and the agency's top official in charge of women's health issues resigned over the delay in approving Plan B, the morning-after pill, accusing the agency's head of overruling the professional staff on political grounds."
Corporation for Public Broadcasting: "Republican chairman hired a consultant to identify liberal bias in its programs. The consultant apparently considered any criticism of the administration a sign of liberalism, even if it came from conservatives."
Department of the Treasury: "has fallen from grace"; Treasury Secretary John Snow, "was obviously picked for his loyalty rather than his qualifications ... Less obvious to the public is the hollowing out of the department's expertise. Many experienced staff members have left since 2000, and a number of key positions are either empty or filled only on an acting basis."
Department of Homeland Security: "FEMA was neglected, some people say, because it was folded into a large agency that was focused on terrorist threats, not natural disasters." and "In 2004 Reuters reported a 'steady exodus' of counterterrorism officials, who believed that the war in Iraq had taken precedence over the real terrorist threat."

For the most complete and thorough list go here...
The Right-Wing Affiliations of Bush Administration Officials
http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=6173
Last edited by the4moores on Wed May 07, 2008 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth."
-- Albert Einstein
the4moores

Re: Cronyism

Postby jeng on Wed May 07, 2008 9:29 am

HIllary Clinton was put in charge of health care and Bobby Kennedy was made AG. Numerous people were pardoned by Bill Clinton after contributing money. I know people want to blame Bush for everything, but I don't think he invented cronyism. Cronyism is a facet of human nature and politics. Doesn't make it right, it just is.
jeng

Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
jeng

Postby cnnplus5 on Wed May 07, 2008 11:30 am

HIllary Clinton was put in charge of health care and Bobby Kennedy was made AG. Numerous people were pardoned by Bill Clinton after contributing money. I know people want to blame Bush for everything, but I don't think he invented cronyism. Cronyism is a facet of human nature and politics. Doesn't make it right, it just is.

thankyou.
Love the Birch tree - a favorite of mine in New England fall scenery
http://www.thebestclean.vpweb.com
cnnplus5

Postby blessedx3 on Wed May 07, 2008 11:41 am

Ditto Jeng.
Simply stated and very true.
blessedx3

Postby epv5 on Wed May 07, 2008 4:22 pm

W/ utmost respect for previous posters, Hillary Clington's "cause" as first lady was healthcare, some first ladies have focused on literacy,etc. HRC was never the surgeon general. I will agree that cronyism has played a role in every administration, we've just seen some dire consequences during this one. ("Heck of a job, Brownie") I'm certain someone can bring some up during other administrations as well, but it's natural to focus more on current events.
epv5

Postby frizzed on Wed May 07, 2008 4:32 pm

I worked in gubment for several years and there was and is cronyism EVERYWHERE. How many judges' daughters, nieces or their friends' children did I work with during my tenure - plenty - the courthouse was full of 'em. In fact, I got booted from a position so someone "else" could have the position. As I recall, that other person was a judge's child. There was no issue of what was fair or even legal, it just was.

Not saying it is right, keep digging for it but you'll never get to the bottom!
If you are gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
frizzed

Postby TutusbyT on Wed May 07, 2008 7:12 pm

4Moores - very well written and excellent information!
Thank you.
Tonia
SAHM to Mischka 3/3/06
http://www.TutusbyT.com
TutusbyT

Postby vengholm on Wed May 07, 2008 7:20 pm

Why are we comparing to GW to Bill Clinton again? Yes, pretty much all presidents are guilty of cronyism. Pick a president, any president.

The point here is that GW has seemed to do it with a vengeance. And it's just another black mark on his presidency. People are not blaming Bush for everything. They are blaming him for the war, because, he is the one that started it. He is to blame. They are blaming him for the economy because as president, he is supposed to appoint the right people to help keep the economy stable. He hasn't done that.

I think the numbers show that Little Bush is, by far, the worst president we've ever had. See the thread on the Most Unpopular President. If he was doing a good job, why would he be so unpopular? And don't say it's the whiney selfish liberal hippies. There are plenty of conservatives who dislike him as well.

It's so juvenile to say "well, so-and-so did it". If you were in my classroom I would have to say to "we're not talking about so-and-so". And we're not. We're not talking about Bill Clinton, under whom our economy was stable, our health care system had a chance, we were climbing out of debt, and unemployment was way down.

So please, lay your heads down on your cot and take a little nap before you playing these childish games. We are talking about GW here. the4moores actually did some serious research here and found the facts on the issues at hand. The rest of you seem to be spouting out phrases that I've already heard elsewhere. Why do you believe what you believe? Do you know?

If I sound angry, it's because I am. There is no intellectual debate going on here, just a group of people attacking one person who posted some facts that seem to expose truths of someone you like.

Why do you like him, anyway? Give me some facts. Please. Cuz, I feel like I'm hangin' out the Dairy Queen by the high school. I'm not saying you guys aren't smart, I'm just saying you're not doing your homework. Do me a favor and think deeply on why you feel the way you do. Then come back.
"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours." - Swedish Proverb
vengholm

Postby mom2j&m on Wed May 07, 2008 7:21 pm

As previously stated- thank you Jeng.
mom2j&m

Postby cnnplus5 on Wed May 07, 2008 7:39 pm

just a group of people attacking one person who posted some facts that seem to expose truths of someone you like

I'm really getting tired of this word being overused! Pleeeaaaase! no one is attacking anyone. A comment was made disagreeing with what the4moores posted - so what!!!! If someone likes GW they have the right to that. And the comment was intelligent - it has been proven over and over again on several different threads on this board that if you say anything remotely complimentary of GW you get blasted. I've yet to see one thread of a conservative slamming a liberal candidate even though we have plenty to say - that's called respect!

I'll do my best to think deeply.....
Love the Birch tree - a favorite of mine in New England fall scenery
http://www.thebestclean.vpweb.com
cnnplus5

Next

Return to Politics