advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Anybody following this?

Anybody following this?

Postby mighty on Sat May 04, 2013 1:52 pm

Kansas politics is, in my humble opinion, quite a mess.

Our governor, Sam Brownback, proposed a bill, signed into law, that lowers the tax rates of the most wealthy individuals and removes taxes entirely from certain companies. This was done to "spur companies to relocate to Kansas." Never mind that Kansas already has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. Never mind that 2 economic analysts, one conservative and one liberal, were asked which state had the worst tax legislation in the last year, and they both said, "Kansas."

Our governor has also overhauled Medicaid and calls it Kancare. It's functions are now farmed out to 3 for-profit insurance companies, and we're told this will save money. I attended an informational meeting about this with the director of KDADS (Kansas Dept. of Aging and Disability Services), where he promised that the people who were being served by Medicaid would not be dropped from the rolls and their services would not be cut. When asked how these for-profit companies would do that, he replied, "You'll just have to trust us." :shock: We laughed. When pressed for specific examples, he said they wouldn't refill any Medicaid beds in nursing homes when they became vacant. And that was it. There isn't enough time to tell you all the stories about mistakes made in implementing Kancare.

Our secretary of state, Kris Kobach, has gotten a voter i.d. law passed. He now wants the authority to personally prosecute any cases of voter fraud from his office, rather than by the attorney general or district attorneys. He's also busy travelling around the country, helping to write immigration laws for states like Arizona.

The examples I just gave are just the tip of the iceberg that's wrecking the state of Kansas (I haven't even mentioned the trials of education, for example). I know our governor left the US Senate to become governor because he wants to run for President (again) in 2016. I'm SO fed up with this administration that I'm on my biggest soapbox ever, helping to spread the news to whoever will listen that (in a quote from a famous movie), "I'm as mad as hell, and i'm not going to take this anymore!"

I believe that action must accompany talk, so I've been at forums with legislators, e-mailed my representatives, and plan on a trip to Topeka very soon.

Anyone else have an opinion here?
mighty

Re: Anybody following this?

Postby mygr8crew on Sat May 04, 2013 4:49 pm

IMHO, Brownback is a nub. I know, not very nice, but I can't think anything nice to say about him at all.

Since Kansas has become such a mess I have been eternally grateful I don't live there anymore. It seems like there is an article in almost every Sunday edition of the Star praising the man and the newest tax cut, etc. he has created and I just shake my head. The elimination of state taxes has to be one of the craziest things he has done. I don't know if people realize that it takes taxes to pay for these programs that some people really depend on, and the people that depend on those programs aren't necessarily drug-using low-life's who would rather depend on the government than work. They are senior citizens, disabled adults, mentally ill, children who are not insured, people who have fallen on hard times because of job losses, etc.

God forbid he runs for POTUS in 2016 and wins. Social programs would be gone forever.
Susan
Proud Mom to
Taylor, 18
Grace, 16
Gabe, 14
Simon, 12

"Whatever your fight, don't be ladylike!" Mother Jones

http://fiftytwoweeksofme.wordpress.com/
mygr8crew

Return to Politics