advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

hair dye for my tween girls

hair dye for my tween girls

Postby BelleArt on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:08 am

My twin daughters (age 9 in September) wanted to dye their hair bright red like someone they saw on TV. So yesterday I went to the party store and bought some of the hair spray like you use at Halloween, just to make sure they liked the color. Then we went out to Beauty Express at 91st/Metcalf to buy semi-permanent color, but all they had was some colored gel. I bought the gel but when we used it at home it was really gross and sticky; more for short, spiky hair.
So, where do I turn now, short of a hair salon? I really don't want to spend more than $20 on this little experiment.
I have already been to Target and the beauty supply place in Brookside. Don't want permanent color.
Luke 10:27b..."Love your neighbor as yourself."
Our neighbor is anyone of any race, creed, or social background who is in need.
BelleArt

Re: hair dye for my tween girls

Postby love2seeclay on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:51 am

What color is their hair naturally? If it's anything other that white/blonde you're not going to get a bright red color.

My dd got hot pink highlights the summer she was 7. (No flames needed - it was something she earned by getting all A's the entire year and it was only allowed for summer). Because she has dark sandy blonde/light brown hair. Our hairdresser friend had to actually bleach the pieces we were coloring hot pink.

We lucked out in that her color stayed in nice and bright for a full 10 weeks. Apparently this is rare. We actually had to bleach the pink back out before school started. So she had regular blonde highlights that year for school.

A friend of mine recently tried to do the hot pink highlights with a hightlight kit she bought at Wal-Mart. Her daughter has WHITE blonde hair. It went in and looked fantastic - for about 3 days, then it started to fade out and was completely gone in less than 2 weeks. She let her do it again, but got the same results the second time.

I would suggest hitting a salon and asking how much to bleach just one "peek a boo" piece and color it the bright red she wants. It probably won't cost much more than $20 for one chunky piece.
love2seeclay

Postby BelleArt on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:54 am

Great ideas, thank you! My girls both have dark brown hair. I know, just like females, we always want something different than what we have!
BelleArt

Postby love2seeclay on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:55 am

Not sure if the pics will show up, but here is my daughter when she was rockin the pink hair:
Attachments
th_P1010139.jpg
th_P1010139.jpg (3.92 KB) Viewed 757 times
love2seeclay

Postby JayhawkKaty on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:01 am

Lord, help me! My daughter loves, loves pink. She's only 4! I hope she doesn't discover the fact that you can change hair color until she's about 12! LOL! :lol:
Katy
DS - 11
DD - 6
JayhawkKaty

Postby JoLynne on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:11 am

Yeah, you're going to have a hard time turning brown hair bright red. You could get a reddish tint to the brown. And if you want to find the temporary bright red dye, your best bet is an ethnic beauty supply store. We have one up here near us north of the river, B&B Beauty Supply. And I have a friend who shops at one on the south side of KCMO. I'm not familiar with your part of town, though, so I can't recommend a store there.

When my daughter started third grade, she wanted pink hair and was satisfied when I sprayed the pink dye from a costume supply store in her hair for the first day of school.

Hope you gals have fun with your hair dye project. :D
P1080770.jpg
P1080770.jpg (33.81 KB) Viewed 733 times
Free-lance Writer & Blogger
KC Education Enterprise
http://kceducationenterprise.org/
Education Enterprise
http://open.salon.com/blog/jolynne
JoLynne

Postby BelleArt on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:26 am

Thanks for the pictures, ladies! I was surprised at how good the spray-on color looked. But it was gross when they washed it out!
BelleArt

Postby sabella511 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:41 am

They have semi permanent hair dye at walgreens, but like they all said, all colors faid really quickly. Unless you get the special shampoos. Except for my hair. For some reason it takes all colors amazingly. And for having dark brown hair that's weird...
sabella511

Postby pmonkeefan on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:58 am

I have dyed my dark brown hair a pretty bright red. Not Annie red, but a nice, bright, deep red. I bought some Clairol Nice and Easy in the color I liked, and just left it on for about an hour or so.
[/url]
pmonkeefan

Postby mygr8crew on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:50 am

My oldest teen daughter has dark hair and has had her ups and downs with the hair color thing. She dyed it black for a long time and then she decided to go blonde. Definetely not as easy as she thought it was going to be.

Now, she tries for a reddish/purplish color and sometimes it lasts, other times not. This is all stuff she has done since she started high school. Our school district does not allow hair coloring (except for natural types of hair coloring) until high school age. No pinks, greens etc or they get sent home.
Susan
Proud Mom to
Taylor, 18
Grace, 16
Gabe, 14
Simon, 12

"Whatever your fight, don't be ladylike!" Mother Jones

http://fiftytwoweeksofme.wordpress.com/
mygr8crew

Next

Return to Idle chitchat