advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Pre-Eclampsia is some serious stuff. Beware wall o Text.

Pre-Eclampsia is some serious stuff. Beware wall o Text.

Postby pmonkeefan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:27 am

I gave birth to my second on March 10th. I was going to be induced on the 13th, but he decided he didn't want to wait the 3 more days.

I had a really rough time this pregnancy. I was in and out of the hospital at least 7 times that I remember for false labor or general back pain so bad I couldn't function. I was actually in on the 8th of March and went home at 5am on the 9th of March because I was nauseous and had pain. I actually had to have DH pull the car over to be sick on the way. (That should have been my first clue.) However, when I got into the hospital, they gave me something for pain and for the nausea. Observed me for a few hours, then sent me home.

I got home about 6am, woke up for the day at 9am, just because while the meds were GOOD, it didn't get rid of all the back pain, and I couldn't stay in bed any longer. I ended up on the couch all that day (Saturday) feeling like I had the flu. Around 10 at night, I gave up and went to bed. (That should have been my 2nd clue, I DON'T miss SNL, especially with Justin Timberlake.) I started vomiting around 11pm. I threw up literally every hour. I couldn't even hold water down. I ended up calling my OB around 2am and told her that I was worried I was dehydrated and she sent me into the hospital. I assumed, that I'd be given an IV of fluids and sent home. When I got there, they told me I was in labor (contractions did start hard and fast about half way there) and that I was at a 5. We called the grandparents to come get my son.

I had an epidural within 30 mins of being there, I have to say, as soon as it kicked in, it was the first time I felt truly comfortable since Christmas when all the pain and false labor started, at that point I figured I'd be delivering normally just like I had with my first son. There was talk my whole pregnancy that my 2nd child would be at least 10lbs, but we were going to attempt it anyway. Then, I threw up on my nurses. The freaked out at the site of it, and ordered tests. I had pre-eclampsia.

Now, I know what that means, and I knew that it was serious. DH didn't know, and the doctors and nurses tried to explain without sending him into a panic. I was stable, and I wasn't in any immediate danger, but they were going to start me on meds. I had 9 lines in 1 arm at once. Did you know they make these spider type attachments so that you can have multiple lines go into 1 catheter in your arm? I didn't. I also had an insulin line in the other arm, because my blood sugar (which had been perfect all pregnancy) was now through the roof.

I have to say the worst of labor was the damn magnesium they gave me. They warned me, they said "this is going to make you feel like you're on fire. There's nothing we can do but give you wet towels and turn down your A/C to cool you off." That was an understatement. Think of being in a sauna, inside a black car, on the hottest day of the year, in Death Valley. Then, you'll be close. To make matters worse, since I couldn't hold anything down, I hadn't had a real drink by that time in over 24 hours. To make them even worse, when you take magnesium your fluid intake has to be really closely monitored, so I couldn't even have ice chips. I was literally taking buckets of ice water and soaking towels in them to cool off.

Around noon, the doctor came in (oh, and it wasn't even my doctor, she was off duty as I was pulling into the hospital that Sunday morning.) and told me I had 1 hour to start pushing or she'd be doing a C-section because my vitals were starting to rise even though I was so heavily medicated. After an hour, he was stuck. I was prepped for a C-section.

Oddly enough, as anti-Csection as I am, I was ready for a C-section. At that point, I just wanted him out. I think if they had come in and told me Freddy Kruger was doing the delivery I would have been ok with it. Luckily, they pretty much knew I'd end up there, so there was no panic or rush. Everyone was ready and prepped. I've heard some real horror stories about emergency C-sections, and luckily I wasn't one of them. As soon as they took him out, I immediately felt better than I had in months. It was weird. I know I was numbed, but it was like all my pains were gone. The nausea stopped, I was able to breath, and I didn't feel like my heart was going to beat out of my chest. Then, I could think about what was going on. The feeling of someone's hands, the smells... I then threw up all over the anesthesiologist. He was cute too...

I was in the hospital for 4 days, and my doc wanted to keep me one more but decided that as long as I swore I'd be in the next day for blood work she'd let me go home. She was worried that I wouldn't notice symptoms since I have such a high tolerance for everything that I didn't notice them before. Mathew was born healthy, aside from needing to be fed quickly because his blood sugar was low due to all the insulin I was given. He weighed in at 8lbs 3oz, 21 inches. Which was 10 oz and 1 inch smaller than his brother, so much for a 10lb plus baby.

The whole time I was in, every nurse kept telling me they couldn't believe I was the patient they had read and heard about. Apparently I was really bad, and no one expected me to be feeling so well and to be in such a good move. I kept trying to talk them into letting me out of bed... Note to the ladies who have never had a C-section, if the nurses tell you that you don't want to get out of bed yet, believe them. I have a high pain tolerance and I almost ended up in the floor when I finally convinced a nurse to let me get up. (In reality, I think she thought she'd let me get a taste of WHY they were saying no.)

All in all, it wasn't the worst thing that could have happened. We both ended up healthy and with no lasting problems. I have my 6 week check up tomorrow and I expect to have a clean bill of health when I leave. However, after some googling when I got home, I found out how seriously ill I really was. If you start feeling like you just can't be pregnant anymore because you're so miserable, make sure to let your OB know. I just assumed I was having a "normal" pregnancy because I had been told how easy I had it with my first. In reality, I was more than likely ignoring a lot of warning signs. One nurse told me that if I had waited any longer to go in and start stabilization meds that I could have either lost the baby or had a seizure. So make sure you're not just trying to "suck it up" and tell your doctor if you're really having trouble.
[/url]
pmonkeefan

Re: Pre-Eclampsia is some serious stuff. Beware wall o Text.

Postby momonnet on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:42 am

Oh my!!! So sorry you went through all of that. 9 lines. Oh my!!! That didn't feel good. I bet you could barley move. Glad things are better now for you.
momonnet

Postby mamalackey on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Congratulations on your new little one!

I'm so glad you are now well. That is an awful story to have but thanks for sharing it. Your story may help some mama here that reads it. :)
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
Edie
mamalackey

Postby JoLynne on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Oh, my goodness! Every birth is a story ... but you had more than your fair share of plot twists and turns. So glad you and the baby are well!
Free-lance Writer & Blogger
KC Education Enterprise
http://kceducationenterprise.org/
Education Enterprise
http://open.salon.com/blog/jolynne
JoLynne

Postby thelommer on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:56 am

Glad that you are baby are doing well now!! That is scary!!
thelommer

Return to My health