advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

What is your Passion?

What is your Passion?

Postby bvmom on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:16 am

I tend to be a puddle jumper (help in areas of need), but I am truly inspired by folks that have one passion. Greg Mortenson, the late KC Secret Santa, Jimmy Carter with Habitat are a few that come to mind. For 2010 I am trying to identify a primary area as I want to make a difference with a specific group. My heart is leaning toward youth, but so far I am trying to ignore that voice.

I am incorporating Rethink Christmas into part of my gift giving so my parents are having a donation to First Tee, my niece is having a donation to Uncor (Methodist relief), and my daughter Small Dog Rescue. If someone was going to make a donation in your name, what would they choose?
bvmom

Re: What is your Passion?

Postby mamalackey on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:29 pm

People who know me best would give on my behalf to The Lottie Moon Christmas Offering for International Missions. The money given is 100% used for spreading the Good News of Jesus. No administrative costs are taken out--other monies are used for that.

Missionaries across the globe are supported at this time of year by this yearly collection. The LMCOforIM is a function of the Southern Baptist Convention. Lottie Moon was a missionary that lived in the late 1800's/early 1900's. She literally gave her life for the Chinese people. She was a very interesting, barrier breaking woman.
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
Edie
mamalackey

Postby gematree on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:44 pm

Trees.

Put that money into trees for the survival of our earth.
"I guess that's why we each need to make our own decisions based on the wisdom we have and the risks we want to take." Cnnplus5 9/01/09
gematree

Postby mygr8crew on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:04 pm

Cub Scouts is where I physically do a lot of volunteering. Monetarily, Catholic Charities, and when I have more "free time" I plan on phycisically volunteering there. There are other places I would love to volunteer, especially with adults with developmental disabilities, but I have no time. Maybe someday.
Susan
Proud Mom to
Taylor, 18
Grace, 16
Gabe, 14
Simon, 12

"Whatever your fight, don't be ladylike!" Mother Jones

http://fiftytwoweeksofme.wordpress.com/
mygr8crew

Postby risarenee on Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:28 pm

Animal Rescue.
risarenee

Location: under the crinkled table eating a stick of butter hoping the girls at the other table can't see me

Postby meandthejs on Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:18 pm

School/church

The education committee of a local museum

FFA
meandthejs

Postby gunderson513 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:35 pm

I volunteer in a variety of different organizations. Since I was laid off in October, I give a full day each week to the local emergency food pantry in Johnson County. I love it! We provide food, rent, utility assistance along with a clothes closet. The folks that work there are great and the people that visit are great too. It has been very rewarding. I am bascially the Wednesday secterary and really not too good at taking messages, good thing that is not what I was paid to do in the past. I would recommend it to anyone.

I have also worked with groups like Gillis Home and enjoy that as well.
gunderson513

Postby debcb on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:10 pm

I am a big supporter of the arts, hence my stint as the chair of the Nutcracker Tea Party (a benefit for the Friends of OP Arts). I also serve on the auction commitee for Go Red for Women. Heart disease and stroke are the number one killers of women in the U.S.
Keeping my sanity, one blog at a time. Read me at http://www.debcb.com
debcb

Postby honeypie on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:27 pm

Educational foundation for scholarships

Community library/books dedicated in memoriam
Cupcakes, my favorite food group
honeypie

Postby athomemommie on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:20 am

That people will receive the facts and not the opinions. Here are the facts
[url]
http://www.wayofthemaster.com/goodperson.shtml[/url]

to challenge yourself even more listen to Ray comforts blog just click listen, i have heard it a dozen times, it is really good.
http://www.livingwaters.com/learn/hellsbestkeptsecret.htm
athomemommie

Next

Return to Volunteering