advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Should schools require daily physical education (P.E.)?

Should schools require daily physical education (P.E.)?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:12 pm

A. Yes, rigorous P.E. in schools is needed daily.
59%
B. No, P.E. is too hard and embarrassing for overweight kids.
No votes
C. A couple of times a week.
37%
D. No, we need to spend as much time as possible concentrating on core subjects.
3%

Total votes : 32

Re: Should schools require daily physical education (P.E.)?

Postby adlibby on Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:24 pm

Absolutely! Currently, my 3rd grader has PE two days a week. Kids these days are so stressed out at school -- PE is a good, organized release of energy. Even recess is stressful "Who will I play with? What if they don't want to play what I want to play?" And recess is no guarantee of physical activity -- a lot of the girls sit around and just talk. Plus, the obvious health benefits...
if you liked that, go read my blog ;)
adlibby

Postby ub_ on Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:36 pm

hotmomma wrote:Yes, PE is very important. Though, with all the vending and pop machines at every corner of a school building, I'm not sure which message is louder. Can we please get rid of the sugar machines from our schools?

Too true!! Let's get the kids hooked on junk early while the businesses make a hefty profit (school only gets a small sliver of it).
ub_

Postby tmathieson on Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:22 pm

Schools are under enough pressure to teach our children the academics. Students have p.e. twice per week. Some things can be taught and developed in the home. It would provide some much needed time together for many families.
tmathieson

Postby angelwings on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:48 am

My son has a "gimpy" foot, so soccer, kickball, climbing the ropes is hard for him. (by gimpy, I mean he has a large fatty mass on the side of his foot that can't be surgically removed until his foot stops growing) So, why should my child have to suffer and get near failing grades because he doesn't do as well as the other kids. I think PE should be elective. Just my humble opinion.
angelwings

Postby hotmomma on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:57 am

Angelwings, why doesn't your sons school have alternate activities for him? That doesn't make any sense. I have had a bad back all my life, and had exceptions made for me. My little niece has a blood disorder and she has to stay away from any high impact activities and they make exceptions for her in PE.

I do not agree that you son should be exempt, but neither do I agree that he should be expected to participate in activities that he cannot physically do. Does his PE teacher know about his foot?
No one can make something untrue simply by choosing not to believe it. ~ Dr. David Jeremiah

Telling a woman what to do in her own home is like trying to baptize a cat. ~ Phil McGraw

A gun carrying Christian is a Christian criminals should fear. ~ Amy Pinson, NRA member
hotmomma

Postby angelwings on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:05 am

We moved and are in a new school. We explained the situation and need a docs note. But, this doc (we are seeking a new one) said "well, if the child can walk, he can participate". It is a very squirrely situation. We now live in a very RURAL community where we do not know a soul.

Plus, even if you overlook the foot, my son is just awkward and uncoordinated. I certainly don't want to come off as one of those "high and mighty" moms, because I am so far the opposite of that.
angelwings

Postby blessedx3 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:03 pm

I say that if they get rid of PE, that should give them enough extra teaching time that we can do away with homework...then the kids can come home and exercise there, instead of spending 2 hours on schoolwork instead of expending all that energy.
blessedx3

Postby angelwings on Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:05 pm

blessedx3 wrote:I say that if they get rid of PE, that should give them enough extra teaching time that we can do away with homework...then the kids can come home and exercise there, instead of spending 2 hours on schoolwork instead of expending all that energy.

I think that sounds great. My son is one of those brainy science and nature, history loving, learning new and fun facts kind of kid. He would love the extra teaching time.
angelwings

Postby margopoz on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:29 am

I'm setting my DVR to tape the show on KCPT tonight.
margopoz

Postby kcjayhawker6 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:00 pm

I wish PE was everyday, like it is for Kindergarten. Kids need to work out some of that energy.

They take away recesses at third grade in our district and alternate music and PE. I think more time is needed for the arts as well as PE and two days a week of Art/Music is not enough. (It helped me develop ways to visualize what I was learning)

Plus kids eat too much fast food because we're on the go. They aren't active because we've gone tech. They need to burn all those calories.
kcjayhawker6

PreviousNext

Return to Mom2Mom Question of the Week