advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Should schools require daily physical education (P.E.)?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:12 pm

A. Yes, rigorous P.E. in schools is needed daily.
59%
B. No, P.E. is too hard and embarrassing for overweight kids.
No votes
C. A couple of times a week.
37%
D. No, we need to spend as much time as possible concentrating on core subjects.
3%

Total votes : 32

Postby mom2momkc on Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:12 pm

Answer the Monday Moms Poll question and check in FYI and on mom2momkc.com next Monday, Feb. 4, to also see what our Monday Moms panel has to say.

The question: Should schools require daily physical education (P.E.)?
A. Yes, rigorous P.E. in schools is needed daily.
B. No, P.E. is too hard and embarrassing for overweight kids.
C. A couple of times a week.
D. No, we need to spend as much time as possible concentrating on core subjects.
Tune in this week:
KCPT this week starts airing “Generation XL,” a yearlong project that looks at school policy and rising obesity in the Kansas City area. The series kicks off at 8 p.m. Thursday with a town hall meeting to discuss the “Rise and Fall of P.E. in Schools.”
Kady McMaster
Editor, mom2momkc.com
mom2momkc

Re: Should schools require daily physical education (P.E.)?

Postby vengholm on Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:26 pm

Kids need exercise, just like we all do. And it starts a good habit for later in life.
"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours." - Swedish Proverb
vengholm

Postby margopoz on Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:06 am

My daughter's full-day Kindergarten class has P.E. every other day along with three recesses. That sounds like a good mix. But next year, in First Grade, they have P.E. once every three days (or something like that) and two recesses during the day.
I'm all for packing in the learning, but taking a break and just running around has to be there too.
margopoz

Postby mom2three on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:12 am

I agree that P.E. mixed with enough recess time fufills the excercise time kids need during the day. The only problem is, my kids (5th and 3rd grade) get P.E. ONCE a week for an hour.....that is it. It is amazing to me how all you hear about is obesity and the way children eat, yet P.E. is ONCE A WEEK??? That makes NO sense to me. Come on, it isn't like Twinkies were invented for our kids only, they were around when we were growing up. Yet, with P.E. and recess, kids weren't so overweight. It seems that we are always looking to blame the food, yet lack of excercise is to blame as well. I used to teach school, so I truly understand that kids need P.E. along with recess to blow off some of that pent up energy. If not for their sakes, for the teachers:) Now, I will get off my soapbox:)
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
mom2three

Postby katebeem on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:20 am

Don't get me started. My kids' elementary school offers PE three times a week, which is great. But all grades, kindergarten included, get only ONE recess daily.

Kids need to learn. But play is one way they learn. I think taking away recess is terrible, but if it's not there, then I think good, quality PE needs to be offered as often as possible.
katebeem
Site Admin

Postby sportsnutsmom on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:48 am

My boys (12 & 10) both respond greatly to physical activity. On the days when they don't have PE or if the younger one doesn't have outdoor recess, they often complain of headaches and being tired. I think it is extremely important both physically and mentally to get their blood going, clear their head, stimulate their bodies and they are ready to get back to the books!
sportsnutsmom

Postby lenexamom on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:40 am

I think a recess at least once a day for elementary school is a good thing. Who wants to sit for hours? I certainly don't! I had gym in junior high and high school and I hated it! The worse part was changing in front of strangers (all more developed than I was) and the group showers! How humiliating! Maybe make it an option for older kids and drop the showers...
lenexamom

Postby hotmomma on Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:29 pm

Yes, PE is very important. Though, with all the vending and pop machines at every corner of a school building, I'm not sure which message is louder. Can we please get rid of the sugar machines from our schools?
No one can make something untrue simply by choosing not to believe it. ~ Dr. David Jeremiah

Telling a woman what to do in her own home is like trying to baptize a cat. ~ Phil McGraw

A gun carrying Christian is a Christian criminals should fear. ~ Amy Pinson, NRA member
hotmomma

Postby angelwings on Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:36 pm

My kids get plenty of exercise at home. My oldest has such a tough time with PE at school and just hates it it. He is certainly not an athletically gifted child.
angelwings

Postby B2mom on Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:40 pm

Both of my kids (11 & 8) would absolutely LOVE having PE 5 days a week! Right now, they have PE 2 or 3 times a week, along with recess. In my 2nd graders class, they do exercises to start the day off!
Mom to 2
B2mom

Next

Return to Mom2Mom Question of the Week