advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Mom2mom poll: Do you worry about school shootings?

Do you worry about shootings happening at your child’s school?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:15 am

A. Yes, all the time
17%
B. No, never
52%
C. Only when one is in the news
30%

Total votes : 23

Mom2mom poll: Do you worry about school shootings?

Postby mom2momkc on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:15 am

The nation was shocked last week when students were killed in a shooting rampage at an Ohio high school. Is this something you worry about? Do you only think about it when you hear a news report about a school shooting? Or do you not worry about such things?

Share your experiences, read The Star's FYI section on Tuesday, March 13, and check back often on mom2momkc.com to see how our mom2mom panel answered.
The question: Do you worry about shootings happening at your child’s school?
A. Yes, all the time
B. No, never
C. Only when one is in the news
Kady McMaster
Editor, mom2momkc.com
mom2momkc

Re: Mom2mom poll: Do you worry about school shootings?

Postby battlefieldmomma on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:42 am

I am more concerned about exposure to drugs, drinking & teen sex than school shootings.
battlefieldmomma

Postby fibromom on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:43 am

Being in the Blue Valley district with such high standards I really feel like my son is as safe as he could possibly be.
If I were to worry about every thing that could happen to him, be it school shootings or a car accident and such I would make myself crazy. I just try to live one day at a time and not worry about what could happen buy more than likely won't.
fibromom

Postby fibromom on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:45 am

battlefieldmomma wrote:I am more concerned about exposure to drugs, drinking & teen sex than school shootings.

Ditto, but so far my 16 yr old has given me no reason to worry about those things either. Now when he goes off to college, then I may worry.
fibromom

Postby jacobsmommy921 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:26 pm

My son is still in preschool, so the chances are low for a shooting at his school. Plus, like another poster said, if I worried about everything that could possible happen to my son all day, I would drive myself crazy. All I can do is have faith that he is in a safe environment and will remain safe.
jacobsmommy921

Postby honeypie on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:40 pm

I am sure that every community that has had this happen never thought it would happen there. Wasn't Columbine a fairly affluent community?
I worry even now that my youngest is in college. A distraught student in one of her classes was berating the instructor. Several of the male students confined him to the closet until security could get there. Luckily no one was hurt, but the potential is there.
I can't dwell on those things, but I do pray for their safety and well being. I try to remind them to be careful and treat others with respect.
Cupcakes, my favorite food group
honeypie

Postby battlefieldmomma on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:47 pm

I forgot to add that I will really worry when my teenagers start driving by themselves.
battlefieldmomma

Postby JayhawkKaty on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Since mine are in elementary school, I confess I don't worry about this right now. Once they get to middle school and high school, I might worry more. However, I think that some of the other moms said it well, too, that more apt worries are drugs, alcohol and car accidents.
Katy
DS - 11
DD - 6
JayhawkKaty

Postby ithaca2kc on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 pm

I worried more about attacks on the Jewish preschool or camp at the Jewish Community Center than threats from fellow middle or high school students. Post 9/11, those institutions took precautions that were in-your-face enough that you couldn't avoid thinking about it. Of course, I was grateful they were taken, though saddened about the need.
A threat from within is so much more unimaginable. You can't obsess over it or you'd have to homeschool.
ithaca2kc

Postby valeho on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:47 pm

We can't live in fear our entire lives, and we certainly don't want our children to be scared to go to school..but we would all be remiss if we didn't have constant concern about our kids while they are at school. The school shootings in the past have happened regardless of socio-economic status, even with guards at school doors. In other words, just because you live in a "nicer" area of town, it doesn't mean you are immune to something this horrific happening in your child's school. I don't believe there is an easy answer for any of us.
Be more concerned about your character than your reputation. Your reputation is what others perceive about you...your character is who you really are!
valeho

Next

Return to Mom2Mom Question of the Week