advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Mom2mom poll: Do you let your kids eat foods like Twinkies?

Do you let your kids eat snack foods like Twinkies?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:27 am

A. Yes
42%
B. Never
14%
C. Occasionally
42%

Total votes : 21

Mom2mom poll: Do you let your kids eat foods like Twinkies?

Postby mom2momkc on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:27 am

All this news about Hostess shutting down and people going crazy trying to buy up Twinkies and the like on eBay has us wondering: Do you let your kids eat snack foods like Twinkies, Ho Hos and Little Debbies? Just very occasionally? Or never?

Share your thoughts by answering the weekly poll question. Post your comments and read The Star's FYI section on Tuesday, Dec. 4 to see what other moms say. Also check back often on mom2momkc.com to see how the mom2mom panel answered.
The question: Do you let your kids eat snack foods like Twinkies?
A. Yes
B. Never
C. Occasionally
Kady McMaster
Editor, mom2momkc.com
mom2momkc

Re: Mom2mom poll: Do you let your kids eat foods like Twinkies?

Postby valeho on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:39 am

My son loves the Hostess chocolate and powdered donuts. We only buy them occasionally though. These are not healthy breakfast foods, so we only eat them for snacks.
Be more concerned about your character than your reputation. Your reputation is what others perceive about you...your character is who you really are!
valeho

Postby normaking on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:26 pm

Drat! Twinkies et al. are so good. Even so when my kids were little we didn't have them too often--too pricey for us back then. Sorry to see this institution of higher (caloric) eating go under. But there are plenty other snacks out there that have wormed their way into our stomachs.
normaking

Postby Alex'sMommy on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:29 pm

In no way am I a health nut, but I really don't buy things like that for my son to eat. He is 7 and has never had a Twinkie and has maybe had the cupcakes once. It might be a good thing if they go out of business. ;)
Alex'sMommy

Postby eparn on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:27 pm

I don't provide Twinkies or other snack cakes for my kids, but I wouldn't pry them from their sticky little hands if they managed to get one. Personally, I have high taste standards for my empty calories and Twinkies don't measure up.
eparn

Postby JoLynne on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Now that you mention it, my daughter's never expressed any interest in eating Twinkies or any other similar snack cakes. Lately, though, she's expressed regret that she didn't buy some before they sold out at the grocery store. But not to eat. She found out people are selling them over e-Bay for thousands of dollars and wishes she could become a Twinkie entrepreneur. :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-Rare- ... 1c2daacfdf
Free-lance Writer & Blogger
KC Education Enterprise
http://kceducationenterprise.org/
Education Enterprise
http://open.salon.com/blog/jolynne
JoLynne

Postby JayhawkKaty on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:16 pm

I only buy snack cakes on occasion - I probably buy or make cookies more than anything else for something sweet. However, my hubby is a different story! He has a terrible sweet tooth and is always bringing home something - the other day, it was Little Debbie Swiss Cake rolls. My daughter got one, but then I think my hubby ate the rest, so it's an infrequent treat.
Katy
DS - 11
DD - 6
JayhawkKaty

Postby charsing on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:49 pm

I completely admit that I buy snack cakes for the kids. I am in the process of switching everyone over to healthier alternatives. I think I deserve points for seeing the error of my ways. :oops:
charsing

Postby micheleomalley on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:32 am

When my husband heard the news about Twinkie's demise, he suggested we buy a box. Our kids have not experienced the delightful taste of that creamy filling and slightly greasy sponge cake. We don't often eat packaged bakery treats. In fact, our kids refer to packaged gem donuts as "garage sale donuts". The only time I buy a bag is when we have our annual garage sale. My kids are not lacking though. I bake cookies, cakes and pie regularly. Nonetheless, my husband was a little distraught to see the vast emptiness in the baked goods aisle. He could not share his childhood treat with his kids. Little Debbie on the other hand is smiling like a Cheshire cat now that she is Queen of the Snack Cakes!
micheleomalley

Postby mygr8crew on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:13 pm

Sometimes. I am not going to lie, we are slave to the master named "convenience" and they are convenient. But, we don't plan our meals around them and we still eat our fruits and veggies, so I think it balances out.
Susan
Proud Mom to
Taylor, 18
Grace, 16
Gabe, 14
Simon, 12

"Whatever your fight, don't be ladylike!" Mother Jones

http://fiftytwoweeksofme.wordpress.com/
mygr8crew

Next

Return to Mom2Mom Question of the Week