advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Mom2mom poll: Spend too much on your kids this holiday?

This holiday season, will you spend too much money on a gift to make your child happy?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:15 am

A. Sure, the occasional splurge is worth it
41%
B. No. I’d like to, but can’t afford it.
23%
C. No. Overspending sends the wrong message to them.
35%

Total votes : 17

Mom2mom poll: Spend too much on your kids this holiday?

Postby mom2momkc on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:15 am

The holidays are here, and the shopping season begins Friday, right? This year are you splurging on your kid (or kids)? Do you think a once-a-year spoiling is OK? Would you like to, but just don't have the money? Or do you think such gifting sends your children the wrong message? C'mon, fess up -- what will you do this holiday?

Share your experience by answering the weekly poll question. Post your comments and read The Star's FYI section on Tuesday, Nov.27 to see what other moms say. Also check back often on mom2momkc.com to see how the mom2mom panel answered.
The question:This holiday season, will you spend too much money on a gift to make your child happy?
A. Sure, the occasional splurge is worth it
B. No. I’d like to, but can’t afford it.
C. No. Overspending sends the wrong message to them.
Kady McMaster
Editor, mom2momkc.com
mom2momkc

Re: Mom2mom poll: Spend too much on your kids this holiday?

Postby sahmiam43 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Some years it is in the budget to get them that just-out-of-the-budget gift. And some years it's not. This is a It's Not year.

And I don't feel bad, or guilty or like I am depriving my kids by not getting them the expensive gifts, the ones that would have them jumping and shouting with delight.We just can't afford it. I think that there should be no shame in admitting that you have a small budget and stick to it; and maybe just a little in pretending it isn't so and going into debt to give your child a Christmas present. What lasts longer? A lesson in dignity and responsible spending, or a new electronic?
DD- 16
DS-14
DS-7

But wait! There's more! For the low price of a clickity click click,click...
http://thehistorychicks.com/
http://sahmiam43.blogspot.com
sahmiam43

Postby Qcaller on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:46 pm

I was on the fence between answer B and C. Money is extremely tight this year so the big gifts will come from the grandparents and not mom and dad. We'll only be able to give something small. I love to find something really special for my kids; however, I don't believe overextending ourselves sends a good message. My kids are getting older and developing an understanding of what it costs to buy and give gifts. They understand that mom is unemployed right now and we don't have extra money. They have learned to save their money from birthdays and Christmases past and think before spending.

This year we will be learning lessons about making gifts with our own hands and creativity and materials on hand. We'll also be learning how much more important it is to be together as a family. They big pile of presents might be smaller than in years past, but we'll have each other.

Pam West
Pamster
DH Alex (married Sept 2001)
DD Annali (born Jul 05, adopted May 06)
DS Tyler (born Nov 06, adopted Mar 08)
Ddogs Bailey & Marco
Blog: Pamster's Planet
My Flickr Collections
Qcaller

Postby mygr8crew on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:56 pm

I do what can be afforded, no more, no less and it has always been this way. Sometimes it has required a lot of creativity, other years it was easier-this year will be a trickier year.
Susan
Proud Mom to
Taylor, 18
Grace, 16
Gabe, 14
Simon, 12

"Whatever your fight, don't be ladylike!" Mother Jones

http://fiftytwoweeksofme.wordpress.com/
mygr8crew

Postby normaking on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:48 pm

I applaud sahmiam43, Qcaller, mygr8crew for using common sense in their approach to Christmas presents. Their children will grow up with a realistic view of life--and they will be happy while they're at it. Parents who go overboard on Christmas to keep up with those bankrupt Joneses are teaching their children that money and gifts are more important than pulling together as a family and finding joy in giving and serving.
normaking

Postby battlefieldmomma on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:51 am

I have never really gone overboard for Christmas, but I try to give them something that will last throughout the year (generally a fun magazine subscription). My MIL taught me how to make stockings fun by putting in all kinds of little stuff, so I try to do that & just have some nice things under the tree.
In all honesty, while I know that my kids know that I'm dealing with a budget, they are at an age where it is "all about me", so I really don't think they have a big picture idea of income & budget.
battlefieldmomma

Postby frizzed on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:02 am

This year Christmas will be about showing them how much we appreciate their patience, understanding and kindness. Last Christmas we had just lost my dad and we both lost our jobs earlier in the year. This year we are both working good jobs and so we are going to splurge on them - both for their birthdays (one in November and the other in December) and for Christmas.
If you are gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
frizzed

Postby micheleomalley on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:59 am

I love to spoil everyone at Christmas. Nothing makes me happier than giving to everyone in the family. Yes, my kids are very spoiled. This year, Santa is delivering a special trip to Disney World . The pickins under the tree will be slim, but a lifetime of memories will fill the void.
micheleomalley

Postby mighty on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:37 pm

I've tried to give the kids one nice gift they can share, but we don't go overboard. Most years, that would have been impossible anyway (I remember stocking stuffers from the dollar store). I hope I've taught my kids that it's so much better to give than to receive.
mighty

Postby christinaja on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:39 am

Mine is a combination of B and C. I don't want my daughter to grow up believing that the path to happiness is paved with dollar bills. I will buy her one semi-pricey item(golf clubs this year) and the rest of her gifts will be less than $20 apiece, and there will not be a ton of them under the tree. Nothing will be more than $100, because I cannot justify purchasing something that will either be obsolete by this time next year due to changing technology, or that she will tire of quickly. It's too much to spend for something that isn't going to last.
I love Daffodils!!!This was taken at the Overland Park Arboretum last year. I will spare you the details of the bizarre position I had to get into in order to get this photo.
christinaja

Return to Mom2Mom Question of the Week