advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

Mom2mom poll: Should school start later in the day?

Should school start later in the day?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:14 am

A. Yes
50%
B. No
50%

Total votes : 18

Mom2mom poll: Should school start later in the day?

Postby mom2momkc on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:14 am

We're always reading about how our kids -- teens especially -- don't get enough sleep. With that in mind, we're asking this week if school should start later. Is 7:40 too early? Is 8:10 too early? What's your opinion?

Share your thoughts, read The Star's FYI section on Tuesday, March 27, and check back often on mom2momkc.com to see how our mom2mom panel answered.
The question: Should school start later in the day?
A. Yes
B. No
Kady McMaster
Editor, mom2momkc.com
mom2momkc

Re: Mom2mom poll: Should school start later in the day?

Postby vengholm on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:59 am

No! I have to get to work!

7:40 is a little early. Marc's school starts at 8:15, and they are late by 8:30. If kids don't get enough sleep, they should go to bed earlier.
"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours." - Swedish Proverb
vengholm

Postby moosebane on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:52 pm

vengholm wrote:No! I have to get to work!

7:40 is a little early. Marc's school starts at 8:15, and they are late by 8:30. If kids don't get enough sleep, they should go to bed earlier.

I agree.
moosebane

Postby charsing on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:53 pm

I am a mom and and educator. I have always had a problem with the staggered start times. School districts cater to the needs of parents because they usually have the the high school kids go earlier so they will be home first to help the younger siblings off the bus. The needs of the kids are the opposite.Teenagers really do better if they start later yet young kids are usually early risers. The school day is shorter than a typical work day (even for we teachers). Parents will need child care before of after school (or both) so why not start school when it is best for kids?
charsing

Postby ithaca2kc on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:25 pm

I always thought high school should start later - I certainly remember thinking it at the time! - but I wasn't an athlete.
High school kids practice every day after school - as it is, til about 6 o'clock. I'd hate to think how much more homework time they'd lose if they got a later start at practices.
Also, what about kids who need the income from after-school jobs? Getting out later would cut into their earning potential.
I understand the studies that say kids should sleep more, but the kids would sleep later, would definitely have less time to get things done, and end up staying up later to compensate.
I don't know what the ideal solution is, but I don't think starting later is it.
ithaca2kc

Postby battlefieldmomma on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:05 pm

I have no problem with school start times. I agree that if kids are tired, they need to go to be earlier.
My kids use the time after school (but still at school) to do homework & meet with teachers. They'll also participate in after school activities.
battlefieldmomma

Postby mrsbluebear on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:32 pm

Teens bio-clocks are naturally wired to be up late, sleep late. It's hard to retrain otherwise. 7:40 is early, but what makes it really tough are the ones who have before school stuff like ROTC or marching band at 6-6:30 am.
Elementary is just about perfect.
Middle school is okay too.
So yeah, I think high school should start after middle school, so at about 9-9:15. These kids are old enough to put themselves on a bus, walk, bike... (They're staggered for parents dropping off at multiple schools.)
mrsbluebear

Postby eparn on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:05 pm

I've read research that early start times do nothing to help kids. And some kids use the time between school getting out and parents getting home to get into trouble. I'll bet if that unsupervised free time was in the morning, there'd be a little less teenage troublemaking. I don't schedule anything at 7:35 AM (that's when my high school started), why do we schedule these early times for our kids - who arguably need more sleep than we do?
eparn

Postby JoLynne on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:08 pm

charsing wrote:I am a mom and and educator. I have always had a problem with the staggered start times. School districts cater to the needs of parents because they usually have the the high school kids go earlier so they will be home first to help the younger siblings off the bus. The needs of the kids are the opposite.Teenagers really do better if they start later yet young kids are usually early risers. The school day is shorter than a typical work day (even for we teachers). Parents will need child care before of after school (or both) so why not start school when it is best for kids?

I totally agree.
Free-lance Writer & Blogger
KC Education Enterprise
http://kceducationenterprise.org/
Education Enterprise
http://open.salon.com/blog/jolynne
JoLynne

Postby Dawn on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:55 pm

No, I think it shouldn't start later as we like to have him home when the evening activity is going on.
Dawn

Next

Return to Mom2Mom Question of the Week