advertisement
  • Magazines

Magazines geared toward making your life easier, richer, fuller.

KC Weddings
    Spaces

Click on a link above to learn more

KC Star's new layout ...

KC Star's new layout ...

Postby mighty on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:36 pm

... and what it means to Mom2Mom.

What do you all think of the Star's new layout? Also, what do you think about where they put the Mom2Mom section?

I think the new look is cleaner, but now I have to hunt for what I'm looking for (like the Mom2Mom section). There's no way to find us unless you know what you're looking for. I think that stinks, esp. for potential new members who don't even see us on the opening page.

I've also noticed that I couldn't read news stories at first (without paying for an e-subscription), but now I can. I understand that the Star needs to make money to stay afloat, but they were totally losing me as I searched for news for free elsewhere. The only thing that brought me back here was Mom2Mom.

Any thoughts?
mighty

Re: KC Star's new layout ...

Postby sahmiam43 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:57 pm

I have to be honest, I've never looked on the Star's site to find Mom2mom. I've always come straight to Mom2MomKC.com. I do recall seeing a link to it from the main page at one point, and agree that would be a good place to link new members here. But I see more ads in the physical paper for the site, so I suppose that works, too.

I do like the streamlined and clean design of the new Star site, though- the pieces are a lot easier to read and the look is more upscale. When I have linked people up to my column I have heard a couple times that they had a prompt to pay, but I've never encountered it and it doesn't seem to be universal so not quite sure how that works.

So,I'm sort of neutral on it. :)
DD- 16
DS-14
DS-7

But wait! There's more! For the low price of a clickity click click,click...
http://thehistorychicks.com/
http://sahmiam43.blogspot.com
sahmiam43

Postby mygr8crew on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:25 am

I don't use the online version much, except to read SF's article on Wednesdays. Then I just link from her FB page, usually from my phone. I like the physical, paper version much better, but read it only Tues, Wed, Saturday and Sunday. The days that I find myself in a Quiktrip. Of course, the paper version disappoints too, it is smaller than it used to be, and the cost doesn't seem to be worth it sometimes-except I am a news junkie.

I come to mom2mom through my browser, so I don't know about how it is found from the Star site. I am a little disappointed because I know there are supposed to be some changes here, but I haven't seen or heard anything. Plus, they don't have the poll questions, recipes and some bloggers have moved on and they haven't replaced them. I guess patience is a virtue that I don't practice well.
Susan
Proud Mom to
Taylor, 18
Grace, 16
Gabe, 14
Simon, 12

"Whatever your fight, don't be ladylike!" Mother Jones

http://fiftytwoweeksofme.wordpress.com/
mygr8crew

Postby battlefieldmomma on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:38 pm

I rarely go to the KC Star site since I get a hard copy of the paper. I also come to this site via a direct link, and, honestly, have never looked for mom2mom on the Star site.
battlefieldmomma

Postby mamalackey on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:07 am

I like the new online layout. I live a outside the purchase area of the KCStar. I read it online to keep up with what's going on there and to see what fun things might be going on that I want to come in to do and see.

I have always come to m2m from the KCStar's page and not directly. Even when I lived in town and got daily hard copy delivery.
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
Edie
mamalackey

Postby mighty on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Well, the Star has changed it's mind. Again.

First, it was 'you can read these stories for free.' Then it became 'you can read these stories if you e-subscribe.' Then it went back to 'you can read these stories for free.' Too good to be true, because now it's back to 'pay to read.'

At least I can still come to Mom2Mom for free. What's up with all of this?
mighty

Postby fibromom on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:30 pm

mygr8crew wrote:I don't use the online version much, except to read SF's article on Wednesdays. Then I just link from her FB page, usually from my phone. I like the physical, paper version much better, but read it only Tues, Wed, Saturday and Sunday. The days that I find myself in a Quiktrip. Of course, the paper version disappoints too, it is smaller than it used to be, and the cost doesn't seem to be worth it sometimes-except I am a news junkie.

I come to mom2mom through my browser, so I don't know about how it is found from the Star site. I am a little disappointed because I know there are supposed to be some changes here, but I haven't seen or heard anything. Plus, they don't have the poll questions, recipes and some bloggers have moved on and they haven't replaced them. I guess patience is a virtue that I don't practice well.

I am with you on the paper version. I don't go to the website. We get the paper everyday and 3 of us read different parts.
Yes, it has gotten smaller over the years, and the cost is greater. The last time we renewed hubs had to cut out the TVWeek section to get the cost down. Which I was the one that enjoyed that. Every year they send us a bill have again as much as we paid the previous year and every year we fight them on it.
But we like the printed paper.

As far as M2M. I am disappointed that they haven't done anything with it, but not surprized. They may in fact drop it all together.

See you all on Face Book.
fibromom

Return to News